Lael Wilcox AZT FKT controversy.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Lael Wilcox AZT FKT controversy.

Post by ScotRoutes »

She just can't help herself eh?

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-a ... ona-trail/

If you've read the rules before the trip and are reminded of them by the organiser then it seems it's just a sense of self-importance that means you ignore them.

I guess this is what happens when documenting the trip becomes more important than doing it.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lael Wilcox AZT FKT controversy.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I guess this is what happens when documenting the trip becomes more important than doing it.
Yeah, like when being seen on the right bike becomes more important than actually having the right bike :wink:

Seems almost inevitable when people become 'celebs' or 'names' and earn a living from it. Sponsors want coverage I suppose.
May the bridges you burn light your way
due

Post by due »

It's only controversial if you choose to care in the slighest about FKTs. Discuss :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Immense rider who seems determined to cloud/tarnish her reputation by constantly pushing the boundaries of the rules, even when warned and aware.

Its not like this is the first time she has been made aware of views and I find it hard to believe neither she nor her sponsors checked the rules or checked it out with the keeper of the times - shoddy professionalism or just not GAS about the rules?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I can’t understand why these super duper racers can’t just swear into a camera that’s pointing up their nose? It’s not hard.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Sponsors need exposure...

Rules state no media....

Rider wants to make a living riding so needs sponsors...

Anyone see any potential conflicts :???:

As riding these things is 90% mental and knowing your media crew could bail you out if necessary makes a huge difference to how you commit. Just my opinion, but consider this, if the riders had known a media van would have been at every road crossing on the 2019 HT550 how many would have kept going? Most of us bailed before Contin as the further north we went the harder it would have been to get back to Tyndrum.

The point of the rules is to provide a level playing field for every rider.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

due wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:21 pm It's only controversial if you choose to care in the slighest about FKTs. Discuss :wink:
It's only worth posting on a thread if you care in the slightest about the topic. Discuss.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sponsors need exposure...

Rules state no media....

Rider wants to make a living riding so needs sponsors...

Anyone see any potential conflicts
You know, you could almost think someone in that position might actually caught controversy?
May the bridges you burn light your way
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I like Lael. Can't help it. She's cool.😎
I think if I was her I'd ride and document these trips but not claim the rights to an fkt. I'd go back and do it on my own if I wanted the record.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Most of those 100,000 followers on IG don't give a shiv about the rules. They are inspired by what she does though.

I remember before she set out she said how nice it would be for locals to come out and say hi. Irrespective of the media or rules, she clearly isn't bothered about being out there alone.

The whole media / dot watcher can get in the sea as far as I am concerned if i am riding, it has completely changed the vibe of being out there on an event.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Whoops, that seems like a colossal own goal, using her partner and a friend as the media crew clearly means she will get a big morale boost everytime she meets them - that makes a big difference to this kind of stuff. Baffling after all the hoo hah over the Tour Divide film a few years ago. If she used an independent film crew she may be able to argue it was self supported but not when it's your other half....
due wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:21 pm It's only controversial if you choose to care in the slighest about FKTs. Discuss :wink:
Pretty much what me and a couple of mates were saying yesterday. It's like lifestyles of the rich and famous - funny to watch but not relevant to our own world. Things like the YD300 and the BB2/300 etc. are grass roots rides with people doing it for a laugh and a challenge (and a bacon roll) rather than fame and fortune. If the sponsored riders aren't prepared to stick to the rules they should run their own races. But as far as I'm concerned they can saw their own legs off for all I care, I'm having fun riding round wales / Yorkshire / Scotland with like minded individuals. And there will be swearing a'plenty!
due

Post by due »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:43 pmIt's like lifestyles of the rich and famous - funny to watch but not relevant to our own world
Maybe my comment was a bit flippant, but this sums it up really. Obviously the ethics are worth debating, and people should be called out - but it also needs to be asked whether anyone would have really cared if she had set the FKT (other than her sponsors)?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Whoops, that seems like a colossal own goal
Yep, that's her career finished. Last big ride she ever does and I doubt we'll hear another thing about her.

There is of course the whole discussion about the "purist" way and all that but she makes some entertaining videos and I get to see some places that I otherwise wouldn't.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Might be worth seeing if Micheal Buerk would like to cover this in an episode of the Moral Maze…
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

johnnystorm wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:03 pm
Whoops, that seems like a colossal own goal
Yep, that's her career finished. Last big ride she ever does and I doubt we'll hear another thing about her.

There is of course the whole discussion about the "purist" way and all that but she makes some entertaining videos and I get to see some places that I otherwise wouldn't.
So is the question whether Lael's sponsors care about the opinion of die hard bikepackers? Getting filmed doing such a thing will appeal to people who aren't really interested in doing ITT's but just want to ride their bike and camp out and like a good vid about what they perceive as beyond there abilities. If she did an ITT with no media, no fuss and no announcement, and got an FKT, she would gain a lot of cred with the die hards. If she also took a few pics then it would make for a great story as well. Making it a media show has great value but it's not what ITTing is all about. Maybe there is a back story - spesh made her do the filming as part of her contract with them.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ride where you want to ride. Film it if you want. But if you want to "compete" then you have to abide by the same rules as the other competitors.

In this case the film crew includes her wife. That's a further complication around the moral support issue.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

she makes some entertaining videos and I get to see some places that I otherwise wouldn't.
A group of riders could do that [ I assume they already do] and probably better without pretending its an ITT /FKT
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

So is the question whether Lael's sponsors care about the opinion of die hard bikepackers?
Does anyone? :wink:
If she did an ITT with no media, no fuss and no announcement, and got an FKT, she would gain a lot of cred with the die hards.
That time she rode from Alaska to do the TD and then rode it again straight afterwards means she's got plenty of cred. Also, as above does she really care what the "die hards" think?
Maybe there is a back story - spesh made her do the filming as part of her contract with them.
I expect she prepared a decent sales pitch for all her sponsors detailing how she can ride fast with their kit and make an entertaining video.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

It's going to end up with half a dozen FKT's as the variations on support get argued out.

If the record "owner" cares, they ignore her time. It doesn't stop her making her "FKT" films as her way of paying the mortgage.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

. does she really care what the "die hards" think?
Clearly she does not care about the origins, ethics or ethos of the "sport"
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Mistake
Last edited by lune ranger on Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

johnnystorm wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:48 pm
That time she rode from Alaska to do the TD and then rode it again straight afterwards means she's got plenty of cred. Also, as above does she really care what the "die hards" think?

Anyone who can chug half and half by the quart has all the cred they’ll ever need imo :-bd
WSC
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

This sounds like the long descent into UCI levels of madness!

I suppose humans just can't help themselves? :roll:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Never understood all the pearl clutching that people get into over this tbh.

"purists" :lol: it's just riding a bike.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Except when you’re taking it for a walk :grin: