1x12 set up help. SRAM AXS content.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

1x12 set up help. SRAM AXS content.

Post by lune ranger »

You know when you volunteer to do some thing and end up regretting it? This is currently me.
‘For a friend’ I’m building a Stooge Scrambler with SRAM 1x12 AXS electronic wizardry. It’s not working out so we’ll.
It really doesn’t like shifting between gears 12 and 11 or 11 and 12, ie the problem is in both directions.

Here’s the details so far:

•SRAM GX chainset, new with matching BB - 53mm chain line.
•Boost rear wheel with no name 10-51 cassette. XD driver. Used in good condition with matching used chain.
Edit: Cassette is ZTTO 10-50
•SRAM GX EAGLE AXS derailleur. New
•New Stooge Scrambler boost, bolt through frame.
•Derailleur adjusted with B gap tool.
•Hi and low adjuster screws not interfering.

It shifts perfectly except between gear 11 & 12 in both directions.

Is it:

1) Me
2) Bent hanger - the bike is new.
3) The no name cassette
4) Chainline
5) Something else.
Last edited by lune ranger on Sun May 29, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Re: 1x12 set up help. SRAM AXS content.

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'm gonna go with the no name cassette. But then again it's also SRAM so precision/machining isn't always their strongest point is it :o

For reference (sorry that I've never gotten along with SRAM for their clunky shifting) I went from a top end SRAM red cassette which always felt clunky to a 105 or Ultegra and the difference into smooth shifting was priceless.

Hope you get it sorted Luke... Maybe also check the chain length using a different method and second thoughts are to the chain line. Push it out bt a mm or two if you can :smile:

Not sure if that's much help. No name cassettes are just ultimate rubnish though as you can't even find a manual that says what spaces between the sprockets...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Thanks Shaf.
SRAM as well? Bloody hell. Maybe we need a thread for cycling equipment manufacturers that haven’t pissed you off :grin:
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:55 pm Thanks Shaf.
SRAM as well? Bloody hell. Maybe we need a thread for cycling equipment manufacturers that haven’t pissed you off :grin:
Nah. I rrally really like SRAM. Was just saying that the precision isn't there. Must be going to work intoxicated (well from the night before). I'll be buying SRAM as it's got Taiwan manufacruring which means it's not China. Pity you haven't another spare cassette (even SRAM) to try it out :grin:
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

lune ranger wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:13 pm You know when you volunteer to do some thing and end up regretting it? This is currently me.
‘For a friend’ I’m building a Stooge Scrambler with SRAM 1x12 AXS electronic wizardry. It’s not working out so we’ll.
It really doesn’t like shifting between gears 12 and 11 or 11 and 12, ie the problem is in both directions.

Here’s the details so far:

•SRAM GX chainset, new with matching BB - 53mm chain line.
•Boost rear wheel with no name 10-51 cassette. XD driver. Used in good condition with matching used chain.
Edit: Cassette is ZTTO 10-50
•SRAM GX EAGLE AXS derailleur. New
•New Stooge Scrambler boost, bolt through frame.
•Derailleur adjusted with B gap tool.
•Hi and low adjuster screws not interfering.

It shifts perfectly except between gear 11 & 12 in both directions.

Is it:

1) Me
2) Bent hanger - the bike is new.
3) The no name cassette
4) Chainline
5) Something else.
I'm sure you've done all this. Just in case though... Rear mech has to be set up on the second sprocket from the top (one down from the 50) take the chain off and line it up exactly with the jockey wheel (I run a small ruler from the sprocket to the jockey wheel). By pressing and holding the small button under the shifter you get .25mm adjustment either way when you press the shifter lever either up or down (keeping the button pressed in).
Put the chain back on. Is the length right? +4 links for a hardtail.
B-screw set up is critical. There's a couple of cheap gap setting tools available. I get mine off eBay. The one that slides into the sprocket and points to the hole in the rear mech is the best in my opinion. They are about £7.
You can then make final trims with the shifter button/lever.
If you've done all that then I've no idea on afraid.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I used the chain gap tool that came in the box from SRAM to adjust the B screw.
Chain is the correct length.
I will recheck the position in relation to gear 2 again with the chain off and see.
After that I think I’ll get a hanger alignment tool if necessary.
I could also adjust the chainring chain line outboard to 55mm and see if that helps.
Bit of a PITA but if that doesn’t eliminate the problem I guess we’re left with the non group set cassette as culprit.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Having just been out to the shed again I’m now pretty sure the hanger is out of alignment.
With the chain off and a steel rule pressed against the sprockets the two jockey wheels must be 5mm out of plumb.
If i’m right that’s pretty piss poor for a brand new bike, no?
I’ll take the derailleur and hanger off tomorrow and re-attach them - I guess it’s possible it’s been installed wonky?
More to follow.
Last edited by lune ranger on Sun May 29, 2022 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Good work Luke...
redefined_cycles

Good work Luke... hope it is just that mate...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Not my bike so I’m not too bothered, and I’ll get a hanger alignment tool out of it.
Poor show from the Stooge QC if it really is the hanger.
Does anyone know if this is a common problem for bikes straight (bent?) out of the box?
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Can we now agree that SRAM cassettes are mint Shaf as I have them on all of my bikes now and am well happy ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've only had one new frame and that was fine (Genesis) but when I built that the LBS said they check the hanger alignment, and face square the BB and headtube with the cutters. They consider those jobs as part of building up the frame.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Paint / swarf / a nick or gouge on the hanger?

Does anyone face hangers? BB's I know but can't think of ever facing a hanger :???:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:24 am Paint / swarf / a nick or gouge on the hanger?

Does anyone face hangers? BB's I know but can't think of ever facing a hanger :???:
Nah, the threaded hole will keep the derr in line and if it's a replaceable hanger it will be machined square. If you haven't got a hanger alignment tool you can check how square it is by using an old derailleur bolt and a length of bar (or even wood if it's straight) attached to the hanger. Put the axle in and use a set square or a tape measure to check the bar bolted to the hanger is 90 degrees to the axle. Requires a bit of faffing obviously....
redefined_cycles

Can we now agree that SRAM cassettes are mint Shaf as I have them on all of my bikes now and am well happy ;-)
Always happy to agree with you Dave. I almost managed a but of swearing at work (just before I resigned cos of an old hag, kindof) - not swearing at anyone obviously :sad:

In Lukes case it's a no name cassette but yes, I will be thinking about getting myself an SRAM grouppo on the SC now that Ibknow you love yours. Might even be in stock somewhere... :smile:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:44 pm
Always happy to agree with you Dave. I almost managed a but of swearing at work (just before I resigned cos of an old hag, kindof) - not swearing at anyone obviously :sad:

In Lukes case it's a no name cassette but yes, I will be thinking about getting myself an SRAM grouppo on the SC now that Ibknow you love yours. Might even be in stock somewhere... :smile:
Shaf I’ve retired from swearing now. Moved on to “tutting” and head shaking as befits my age
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

What the flip Dave... :o I never actually knew that. Nice one :-bd
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

I've had that problem and traced it to a bent hanger before. Having splashed out for the tool, it's a piece of piss to check every time you service a bike
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I did something today I haven’t done in more than 30years - took a bike to a mechanic!
First impression was that the hanger is a little out of true but not much more than he would expect on a new bike.
He reckons most of the blame lies with the ZTTO cassette.
I’ve left it with him to make sure.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:31 pm I did something today I haven’t done in more than 30years - took a bike to a mechanic!
First impression was that the hanger is a little out of true but not much more than he would expect on a new bike.
He reckons most of the blame lies with the ZTTO cassette.
I’ve left it with him to make sure.
What the frig... ZTTO. Why didn't you say. The machining on them appears to be done by a blind artist (had a ztto bottom bracket that came on a bike and it was worse than, well... worse). Get a hammer and smash it to pieces so no one else mistakenly uses it. Even if its isn't machined wrong, smash the pile of rubbish anyway!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I did say in the OP.
So now we can add ZTTO to Campagnolo, SRAM and Sonder/Alpkit onto your hit list :lol:
None of this is my doing. I’m just helping ‘my friend’.
To be fair to him he didn’t purposely buy the cassette either, it came as a job lot with some Stans carbon wheels (Ardent tyres, tubeless set up, rotors and cassette) for £400. Even if, as it looks, he is going to need to get a new SRAM cassette it’s not too bad a deal.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:10 am I did say in the OP.
So now we can add ZTTO to Campagnolo, SRAM and Sonder/Alpkit onto your hit list :lol:
None of this is my doing. I’m just helping ‘my friend’.
To be fair to him he didn’t purposely buy the cassette either, it came as a job lot with some Stans carbon wheels (Ardent tyres, tubeless set up, rotors and cassette) for £400. Even if, as it looks, he is going to need to get a new SRAM cassette it’s not too bad a deal.
I see, yes, I didn't realise it was edited in. Let us know if all is sorted after the cassette pls Luke... I like SRAM and Campag (though you wouldn't wsnna take it off road according to them, or through water IME) and Sonder are alright (until they break with 3 years warranty remaining and the refuse to entertain that it could have been shoddy workmanship :lol: )..

ZTTO though. Doesn't that name just say it all for you :smile:

£400... killer deal? I need that :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW, never assume a mech hanger is straight, even if it's brand new.