Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: #jennride 2022 28/29th of May

Post by redefined_cycles »

Amazing. Thanks for that Boxelder..
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:19 pm Amazing. Thanks for that Boxelder..
I've DM'd you some info. Hopefully bump into you there.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just looking at the GPS track there looks like a couple of errors: Coming out of Pooley Bridge at around 40km http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=346796&Y=524333&A=Y&Z=115 I'm not sure what physical features are on the ground through the wood but further on the route follows a footpath that parallels the road.

Leaving Threlkeld at 64km the GPS trace definitely follows a footpath rather than the road - http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=331612&Y=525431&A=Y&Z=115

Between Portinscale and Haws End (c. 80km) the trace follows a footpath through the woods but it might be a permissive BW.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

whitestone wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:23 am Just looking at the GPS track there looks like a couple of errors: Coming out of Pooley Bridge at around 40km http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=346796&Y=524333&A=Y&Z=115 I'm not sure what physical features are on the ground through the wood but further on the route follows a footpath that parallels the road.

Leaving Threlkeld at 64km the GPS trace definitely follows a footpath rather than the road - http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=331612&Y=525431&A=Y&Z=115

Between Portinscale and Haws End (c. 80km) the trace follows a footpath through the woods but it might be a permissive BW.
I suspect these may be mapping software issues, where settings have chosen other rights of way where 'off-road' is preferred.
To my knowledge all of the above should have riders using the roads. People regularly do ride the footpath between Portinscale and Hawse End, but Saturday lunchtime is prime 'rambling time', so it will be slow and frustrating then anyway.
The one out of Pooley isn't a public footpath as such - marked in brown, so permissive. But the fact that it is marked as FP and not BW suggests that they'd rather you/we weren't on wheels I guess.
I'm riding with relative newbies, so have a couple of bail out options to use, depending on when we arrive in Keswick. Happy to share them via DM if anyone is interested. I suspect we'll want 3-4 hrs to get from Keswick to Wasdale Head and then 1.5-2 hrs from Wasdale to Eskdale.
Having said that, I'll have the whip out to make sure we complete the 100 miles :YMDEVIL:
Last edited by boxelder on Sun May 22, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:23 am Just looking at the GPS track there looks like a couple of errors: Coming out of Pooley Bridge at around 40km http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=346796&Y=524333&A=Y&Z=115 I'm not sure what physical features are on the ground through the wood but further on the route follows a footpath that parallels the road.

I noticed this too Bob thanksfor bringing it up here. Thanks Andy for pointing that they're actually gps errors. OutDoor active still does that often so you have to make lots of points to ensure it misses the footpath and routes the correct route.

I'll bear it in mind and maybe add some extra dots.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Thanks Andy for pointing that they're actually gps errors
I'm only guessing Shaf. I remember arriving at Hawkshead on one Jennride and there were a group of confused looking riders. Between us, we had 4 different routes showing on GPS devices to get through the village and up into Grizedale. I know from experience that you can share a GPX track in good faith, but once riders load it into Garmin, RidewithGPS, Strava, Veloviewer, etc, etc, etc, it's not guaranteed to remain true to the original.
Think of it as Chinese whispers.
When I first downloaded Rich's GPX and put it into OS Maps, it had it riding off Calfhowe Pike on this near vertical sheep trod of a path. I'm damn sure that wasn't Rich's doing:
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=33264 ... 21097&lm=0

Really looking forward to this now. Come on Boners - Wasdale Head for the win! :-bd

Thanks again Rich for all the effort/hassle
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

More than likely - a previous version of the route had it following the path on the Cumbrian Way from the bridge over the Greta to Portinscale. The Threlkeld one looks like the SW has started along the road then been rerouted along the path. I've checked OpenStreetMap and updated that section's access data.

The Pooley Bridge bits are marked up as permissive for foot, bikes, horses and motor vehicles. I suspect something is wrong but I don't know what the correct status should be.

Shaf - these programs (Komoot, RidewithGPS, etc.) all use OpenStreetmap as their underlying data source so if that's wrong (as it was with the Threlkeld bit) then they'll all get it wrong. Partly the problem is that the system isn't UK specific so has to cover the use cases elsewhere in the world plus access isn't based on adding permissions but taking them away: you give everyone access then remove those classes of user that aren't permitted. So for a footpath you mark it up as having access then remove bike, horses and cars, if you don't then you get something like:

All: yes
Foot: yes
Motor vehicles: no
Bike: not designated
Horses: Not designated

Whereas a footpath should be:

Bike: no
Horses: No

and a BW

Bike: yes
Horses: yes
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Surely if it's a gpx track that has actually been ridden and recorded then it'll show the "one true way"? I've spent some time in OSM tidying up when mapped tracks are inaccurate. Is the problem with folk/programs trying to create turn-by-turn routes from recorded tracks?
redefined_cycles

Thanks for explaining that there Bob. Yes, it makes sense and probably why I sometimes need to add so many extra points so the (OS) maps software in Outdoor Active won't try to make it's own assumptions of where I need to be. Have cleaned up (added extra points) in the Peak200 route to try and eradicate that issue and hopefully it's alot more traceable now in my Strava (it's on there in my routes).
redefined_cycles

*yes, and thanks for Rich for making the route and preparing thw ride etc etc... These hospices and other sorts of places that have to do their own fundraising to provide client/patient care, often get overlooked and struggle with funds so an amazing thing what's happeneing here...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:15 am Surely if it's a gpx track that has actually been ridden and recorded then it'll show the "one true way"? I've spent some time in OSM tidying up when mapped tracks are inaccurate. Is the problem with folk/programs trying to create turn-by-turn routes from recorded tracks?
Most likely it's the programs loading up a file and while plotting it there's some bit of code that checks access rights and reconfigures things on the fly. Komoot does this - Chris Ellison had problems with people loading the Dales Divide GPX file into Komoot which mangled it and gave them a different route. He then got complaints that the route wasn't rideable/went down footpaths/etc. :roll:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

In less cerebral and more alimentary/intestinal news, I've phoned the Barn Door shop at Wasdale Head and they're open until 5.30pm. It's the only shop on the route between Keswick and Ambleside really, but sells a good range of camping type food - dehydrated stuff, sweets, sandwiches (I think) along with a range of outdoor kit. I'm reckoning on needing at least 3 hours to get from Keswick to there.
redefined_cycles

Ta Andy... What other outdoor type dehydrated shops (Spar or coop will do) are enroute in other areas. Preferably quieter locations to kerp the bikes safe(er)... I've loaded the route/routes to MyMaps (thanks Chris E) and looking around. But there's alot of shops/info :smile:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:45 pm Ta Andy... What other outdoor type dehydrated shops (Spar or coop will do) are enroute in other areas. Preferably quieter locations to kerp the bikes safe(er)... I've loaded the route/routes to MyMaps (thanks Chris E) and looking around. But there's alot of shops/info :smile:
Spar at Staveley before you start
Askham Village Stores (30Kmish) - changed hands last year, but still OK I think.
Pooley Bridge (35Km ish) - Village shop/PO or Chestnut House touristy and turning into a posh off licence, but still sells some basic foods
Keswick (80Km ish) - you'll ride past Co-op and a SPAR type garage on the way out. Also Booths supermarket just off the roundabout.
Barn Door Shop in Wasdale (95Km ish) - the GPX track bypasses it - it's next to the hotel.
Shop in Eskdale Green, 5Km off route (105Km ish)
Chapel Stile, 1Km from Elterwater (130Km ish)
Ambleside - SPAR and Co-op just off route (138Km ish)

Bonus - 2 Alpkit stores, Keswick and Ambleside :grin: :wink:
Last edited by boxelder on Sun May 22, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Ace. Thanks Andy. Alpkit you say :-bd might pop in and scratch a carbon frame or two (just messing... they're okay plus thatd be plain wrong - but dehydrated food, here I comes).
postierich

Post by postierich »

The route I have sent out is from the actual ride I did in February so all tracks are viable and legal.
People who have signed up to Eventbrite will have received the actual route others might be sharing routes from the route I shared when I plotted it probably half cut last year :-)

Rich
postierich

Post by postierich »

Coming out of Pooley Bridge you stay on the road Coming out of Threkeld you stay on the road until it turns into the BW
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

postierich wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:26 pm
People who have signed up to Eventbrite will have received the actual route others might be sharing routes from the route I shared when I plotted it probably half cut last year :-)

About twice the distance then? :lol:
ton

Post by ton »

i usually try to attend the Jennride. i love the atmosphere.
but alas, this year i wont be there. my engine is only allowing about 40 miles at present, on easier terrain. and i fear this years route will be too tough.

enjoy it all attending. :-bd
survivor

Post by survivor »

Woohoo. Can't wait.

I need redemption after lasts years chainstay snapping non finish..

There'll be no walk of shame away from the taxi for me this year.,.......

Hopefully!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tom and I will be there!
Senor Charrleh

Post by Senor Charrleh »

I've not been on the forum for a few weeks as my MS flared up so been off the bike for about 6 weeks.... It's going to be a last minute decision for me, health and cost of living increases are the reasons i wouldn't be able to get down.

I've also not been able to get a lot of miles under my belt, biggest ride so far this year was 60km and that was about 7 weeks ago. So it's gonna be a struggle this year :-S
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Deleted
Javi

Post by Javi »

I'm coming, too. But like last year, I'll start after work, at around 4pm or so. I may see a few of you on Sunday afternoon.
postierich

Post by postierich »

Will be good to see you on a mtb Javi been a long time :-)