Dry bag question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisF

Dry bag question

Post by ChrisF »

I've just done a trial pack for a 2-3 week trip I'm doing soon. This is longer than anything I've done before. It turns out I'm a bit short on space in my bags...
I've got a Wiildcat saddle pack harness and an Alpkit 13L tapered drybag. The harness can take a bigger bag looking at the length of the straps, maybe 50% bigger. I can't find any bigger tapered bags.
Any ideas?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Dry bag question

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've not come across anything bigger but does it need to be tapered? Harnesses were about a few years before tapered dry bags. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Alpkit 13L bag isn't anything like that big, maybe 10L at a push. the larger Wildcat tapered bag which is nominally 10L (I think) is "bigger". There's the Revelate Terrapin @ 14L https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... n-dry-bag/

However I'd question just how much kit you actually need for your trip. Once you get beyond a couple of days you don't really need any more kit, it's provisions and fuel that start to take up room but even then unless you are deliberately avoiding restocking points then two or three days' worth of food is probably all you need room for.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Revelate Terrapin dry bags are 14l....
I've found you can use a normal drybag in a harness (in my terrapin in my case) - don't stuff things into the end to tight so it can squash into the front of the harness.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I've been using one of these Decathlon tapered dry bags in the same homemade harness that I previously used the same Alpkit bag as yours.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/6-to-15l- ... mc=8579464

Another thread started by me on the same topic

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20968&hilit=tapered+dry
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Wildcat harness - try two separate dry bags, loosely packed. First moulds into the harness, second one fills it out. Fairly lightweight RAB dry bags work.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Restrap do a 14 Litre tapered dry bag...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Alpkit make a bigger tapered bag called a big papa.
What's the worst than can happen?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The tapered dry bag in my Blackburn harness is massive. Don't know how big exactly, but I've never filled it. Not sure if you can buy them separately though.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think its 14 litres
Never tried it in my wild cat but I uses the wildcat for light and fast /summer/TLS
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for all the responses. It's good to hear that the Alpkit bag is smaller than 14L - I suspected as much. I'll try the Decathlon bag as it's quite cheap.
As for taking too much... I don't think I am, but need to pack some extra food and this is the problem.
Thanks again.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

woodsmith wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:40 pm I've been using one of these Decathlon tapered dry bags in the same homemade harness that I previously used the same Alpkit bag as yours.

257g for an empty bag?? Ooft.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

stevenshand wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:43 am
woodsmith wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:40 pm I've been using one of these Decathlon tapered dry bags in the same homemade harness that I previously used the same Alpkit bag as yours.

Nope. 196g on my kitchen scales so fairly comparable with the Revelate Terrapin for just over half the price.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

woodsmith wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:13 pm

Nope. 196g on my kitchen scales so fairly comparable with the Revelate Terrapin for just over half the price.
Cool. I was just going with their published weight from the website. Still pretty beefy for a drybag though.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

stevenshand wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:29 pm
woodsmith wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:13 pm

Cool. I was just going with their published weight from the website. Still pretty beefy for a drybag though.
I'm hoping beefy translates to durable ( The material is a heavy tarpaulin type material) but I guess time will tell. I wanted to try a welded seam bag as stitched and taped ones have never been waterproof for very long in my experience and at just under 20 quid it seemed like it was worth a try.