Single speed 32:20 vs 34:20 How much harder?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Huwblut

Single speed 32:20 vs 34:20 How much harder?

Post by Huwblut »

After my catastrophic chainring failure at the weekend I need to sort a new one

I've used 32t for ages which suits me for loaded bikepacking and general riding, it's a bit spinney on the flats but that's the game. Unfortunately there's no stock anywhere of quality stainless 32t rings only 34t.

Online calculator it suggests that 32:20 is 46.88 gear inches and 34:20 is 49.81 it doesn't sound much but could make all the difference.

Can anyone express the difference in something I'll understand, percentage maybe?

Cheers

Huw
psling

Re: Single speed 32:20 vs 34:20 How much harder?

Post by psling »

Well, it would be about 6.25% higher geared but your best bet would be to get going with the 34T available and see how you get on with it. You can always change it again later and may be able to recoup some of your costs by reselling.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's about 6% harder, whether that's enough to be an issue depends on how you get on at the moment, are you right on the limit on the steeper climbs? It might just mean you have to get off an push that bit earlier.

How is the rest of the drive-train? If the chain and cog are worn will you be changing them as well? If so 34/21 is pretty close to 32/20 (it's 1% higher) so that would put you back where you are now.

I keep all mine together as a set, chagrining, cog and chain. For refernece the ratios I use, and where are;

34/18 Isle of Wight and the south if not going along the SDW, i.e. a trip to Swanage or the New Forest from home.
32/18 Dales, Scotland, SDW
34/20 Wales or the West Country

All of the above are loaded on a 29er. I prefer a higher gearing as I can't stand spinning on the flat and would rather have to work harder on the climbs.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Huwblut wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:59 am [...]
Can anyone express the difference in something I'll understand, percentage maybe?

Cheers

Huw
No idea if it helps, but I just swapped from 32/18 to 32/16 due to changing from slow rolling and heavy 3" tyres to fast rolling and lightweight 2.6". That's about the difference two more/less teeth on the rear make to me (to be able to maintain roughly the same cadence).
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Thanks for the replies. The chain got twisted so I guess it'll need replacing, the cog will probably be fine, I'll try it and see how it goes with the new chain and ring hopefully it'll play along and save me £20 for a new one. Alternatively I may have a 21t somewhere so I can try both.

All of my riding is in Wales or somewhere hilly so there's no need for different set ups although I may get the chance to have a go at King Alfred's Way in a few weeks.

In summary I'll buy a 34t.

Chain wise the last one was a KMC Z1eHX "Narrow" SS chain. what's everyone using using these days?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I tend to stick to 8 or 9 speed KMC chains. They've always worked for me.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:19 pm I tend to stick to 8 or 9 speed KMC chains. They've always worked for me.
Same here for one of my ssp bikes.
Has been a cheap 8 spd Shimano chain before too.

On the ssp trail bike I'm on n/w ring and cog and thus run a 11 spd KMC chain (had problems with chain coming off on non n/w setups with this bike).
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Rule one of singlespeed is that eventually everyone walks....

Personally I go for the boat anchor chain known as a gusset badger and run an 1/8 chainring but hard to find
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Unless you try them side by side it will be hard to notice 6% difference. I switch to a 22 from my normal 21 when I use the Duro Crux's as I thought the bigger tires would need a lower gear to match gear inches. In the event the tyre diameter is hardly different so I was down about 6%. I didn't notice even when I switched back to my Chupas with the 21T. There may be a slight alteration in the ride to walk ratio...
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Looks like I've got a 19 20 21 and 22t in the garage, they're all a bit worn but far from worn out so I've some options to try.

Thanks again for the advice :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Huwblut wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:31 am Looks like I've got a 19 20 21 and 22t in the garage, they're all a bit worn but far from worn out so I've some options to try.

Thanks again for the advice :grin:
Last time I put an old cog on with a new chain, it was awfully noisy. 5 mins with a file to take the burr's off hushed it though.

I use a sram 8 speed chain with good reliability.

Ref gear swaps. I swap from a 19 rear to 20 rear and back a little bit. I currently find the 20 a little easier to stay 'on top of' on a climb. A bit less gurning if you will :grin: