Any boulderers on here?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

Any boulderers on here?

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Over half term I took my kids to the local bouldering centre and they loved it. My son so much that he asked for a 12 week climbing course for his birthday.

Whilst supervising them I had a little go and enjoyed it, but after years of having cycling as my only form of exercise my upper body strength is pathetic at best. I’d really like to take it up with my son as he’s not usually so enthusiastic about stuff I like.

Any advice for a new starter at 42?
techno

Re: Any boulderers on here?

Post by techno »

I've just started a few months ago, aged 43, with my son (8).
My best advice is get advice from the staff. The ones at our place are very helpful.
It's mostly technique, not strength and if you keep it up the strength will come. We go twice a week and I'm seeing steady improvement, I'm sure I'll hit a plateau soon though :lol:

Other advice, take care of your fingers. A bruised feeling on the bottom segment of the finger can be a sign of a "pulley injury" look them up. I'm nursing one of mine at the moment.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I prefer routes to bouldering, but I have had a dabble. Indoor walls tend to be about upper body strength as the route setters make grades more about steepness than technique. For now though I would concentrate on getting lots of problems done but with control and good technique. Then strength will come.

If your son gets into it and wants to venture outdoors (much nicer experience) buy a good sized quality mat to save your ankles. Robin Hoods Stride and Burbage South have quality problems at an amenable grade if you are near the Peak. Have Fun!

I'd stay away from campus boards and similar training, you could really screw your fingers up. It takes years to work up to that.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:26 pm Any advice for a new starter
No matter what age, I highly recommend a decent and steady warm up before a session. Then build up into it during a session, rather than think "I'll try this problem first, as I'm still fresh", since this may mean you can hardly hang on even the easier stuff for the rest of the time there.
If you don't have any climbing background, go a couple of times with experienced folks to learn the techniques (foot & leg work, hips to the wall, stretched arms, twist body to get to holds, rather than pull up etc.)

I believe (and experience it for myself) regular bouldering helps tons for all sorts of cycling. Core strength, grip strength, mobility and what not.

Probably the only sporty activity I'm capable of doing indoors. My girlfriend and I try to go once a week and it's always loads of fun. Also a lovely way to be creative :-bd

I should go more...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

my advice go for an introduction session before you sign up for a course. Most of it is technique rather than full-on strength based. Good footwork. saves finger strength d& stamina. j
Just enjoy it... i climbed indoors & outdoors on & off for 20yrs & still climbed like I was in 90s :grin: . I did a refresher course & now I'm climbing like a millennium hipster :-bd not as strong as I was 5 yrs ago but technique way better.
just have fun.. :-bd
Attachments
IMG_20191020_233448_387_1.jpg
IMG_20191020_233448_387_1.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 634 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
techno

Post by techno »

Alpinum wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:26 pm No matter what age, I highly recommend a decent and steady warm up before a session.
Definitely, good advice. Lots of climbing warmup routines on youtube if you're unsure of what to do.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Some great advice on here. Thanks all.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Age is not a restriction to climbing, or any other sport - avoid that mindset :)

On topic - climbing since I was about 16 on and off (now 41), mixture of bouldering, trad, alpine etc.

1 - if you're new, ignore grades, focus on learning to move. Fluid movement, with minimal wasted energy will get you farther than you think. Your legs are quite important in this regard.
2 - warm up, easy traversing to start - some easy short problems (kids routes if you have to) - for 10 to 15 min before you pull on anything hard.
3 - avoid the fingerboard, campus board, systems board, and 40 degree woodie until you've built up some resistance in your tendons. I'd go far as to say for at least a year.

There is loads of info out there now compared to when I started. The sport is way more inclusive. It's great. But remember, for a lot of people climbing indoors is a winter/wet weather thing - it's outside where the sport becomes a lifestyle.

ukclimbing is your local resource/forum if you're into that sort of thing....which you are if you are here.

Enjoy the journey, it's a great one for everyone.

Mine age 2 in Fontainebleau:

ImageDSC01962.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

What they all said.

Use your legs.
Take it steady, tendon injuries easy when you might be heavy and in poor condition (when starting out). Go for easy stuff with lots of jugs.
Watch out for kids doing too much intensive stuff on fingers etc too early as also prone to some developmental injuries.
Good technique makes up for low strength lots and lots.
Climb down. It's free exercise and good training. Dropping off is for kn8bs :wink: :wink: and youngsters who don't appreciate the value of functional knees :wink: :wink:

Would love to be out there but buggered shoulder makes that a challenge.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:27 pm What they all said.

Use your legs.
Take it steady, tendon injuries easy when you might be heavy and in poor condition (when starting out). Go for easy stuff with lots of jugs.
Watch out for kids doing too much intensive stuff on fingers etc too early as also prone to some developmental injuries.
Good technique makes up for low strength lots and lots.
Climb down. It's free exercise and good training. Dropping off is for kn8bs :wink: :wink: and youngsters who don't appreciate the value of functional knees :wink: :wink:

Would love to be out there but buggered shoulder makes that a challenge.
Well you'll just have accept you can't climb any More , then try one of [Jonny D's walks] instead! :wink:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..