Down tube tool kit

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisF

Down tube tool kit

Post by ChrisF »

Hello,
I need a bit of advice... I'm off on a trip along the Great North Trail in the summer and haven't done a long trip like this before. I need to increase my carrying capacity a little and one thing I'd like to do is move my tool kit from my frame bag to a mount on the underside of the downtube.
I've got an Arkose X with bottle cage bosses under the downtube. I'm thinking of using a 750ml toolkit bottle (like Zefal or similar) with a cage. I'm not sure a regular cage will do the job, so thinking of a Monkii cage from the BB shop or a Blackburn outpost cage. Does anyone do this or have alternative suggestions? Thanks!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Down tube tool kit

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

faustus

Post by faustus »

Ideas above will work well, I have a strap deck and they make sense for under the down tube. But if you have a bottle cage already then a tool bottle and and voile strap or similar will work well too. If you want a bit more flexibility for attaching to different places, then a little strap on dry bag is a good idea, like this (albeit expensive) one from Wolf tooth: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wolf-T ... lsrc=aw.ds

Or this: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-anywher ... lsrc=aw.ds
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Beerbabe does a down tube bag made from recycled inner tubes. I got one of her first ones, big enough to get a pump in there as well :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for all the advice. I like the look of the bow tie anchors with a dry bag and straps. Will give that a go.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I like the bentley components take on the strap decks, but their other products probably aren't to everybody's taste
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

I've got an Arkose X and use a Lezyne Power cage under the down tube:
https://www.bikester.co.uk/lezyne-power ... WMEALw_wcB
Mine is like a "desert sand" colour which is a relatively close match for the frame colour if that matters...
Point is its well built and holds things tight. My tools are carried in a caddy using that cage all of the time, in all weathers and has held in place just fine,without any additional strappage.. The Problem Solver bowties, with straps look good too but a more expensive solution...