Re: Cafe/shop locks for Bikepacking

Post by In Reverse »

Not quite as elegant.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:05 pm
you've now made the theft of your wheel really easy
is someone really going to walk up to your bike and just try to steal the front wheel? if they are the maxle is hardly going to be beyond them.
i
Your forks are only three bolts [ if you cut cables]
Probably not, but it is an additional downside to removing bits of bike instead of just carrying a teensy little lock.

I could also have added that by using my cafe lock I'll be at the front of the queue for a bacon roll while other riders are taking their bikes apart and stowing the components. :-bd
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:00 pm Apart from having to find somewhere to store a greasy thru axle and you've now made the theft of your wheel really easy I can't see that being any better than just carrying a small lock like those suggested above. As Stu said anything to stop someone just walking off with it and buying you some time. Also, you might like my daft mate 30 odd years ago riding away with a QR undone for security reasons, and before the days of lawyer tabs too...
I'm running a Rockshox maxle atm, there's only really the thread thats got much grease on it & it fits nicely into the outside mesh pocket of my Wingnut, could also always slip into a plastic bag though. Admit thats not as glamorous as a cigar case.. It's also not obvious that the wheel is unsecured & I don't think that it takes anymore time than geting a cable lock ot of a bag & threading it through. Sometimes locks got forgotten. I have never had my front wheel knicked yet. Unless someone can get a suitible axle, they're not going to be able to ride away.
It works for me.

I've had a couple of cable-type locks, but i think they're too easy to by-pass with a pair of side-cutters. It's always better to have layers of security & for that reason i have been keeping an eye out for a suitible lock, was looking at one of those Hiplok Z-Loks last week, but it just didn't seem practically long enough..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I just make sure my bike is more sh1t and filthier than everyone else’s.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:10 pm I just make sure my bike is more sh1t and filthier than everyone else’s.
:lol: :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Have a look through the reviews of The Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube and see that they're all pretty crap in the hands of a competant theif.

https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickinglawyer/search search " bike"
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:48 pm Maybe the thru axle could be stored in a cigar case?

Can anyone recommend a cigar case?
Otterbox used to the most vaguely exciting humidor’s. If you need your cigars to stay in perfect condition at the end of days you need one of these.
Would probably be good for a maxle too.

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article ... erbox-2186
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

On a motorbike i used a 'disc lock', so I use the same principle and just put a small padlock in the brake disc. Very cheap, very small and light and it stops the wheel instantly!

It won't stop someone walking off with it, but none of the cheap light options really will.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Cheddar Man wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:43 pm On a motorbike i used a 'disc lock', so I use the same principle and just put a small padlock in the brake disc. Very cheap, very small and light and it stops the wheel instantly!

It won't stop someone walking off with it, but none of the cheap light options really will.

This might :roll: :lol:
Put dog turd 💩💩💩on the seat( in a poo bag) on the bars will Deter most. #-O :-O . (post to🤎 WRT LHC WhatsApp group aswell🤎) :-bd

failing that a Skoda badge :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Cheddar Man wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:43 pm On a motorbike i used a 'disc lock', so I use the same principle and just put a small padlock in the brake disc. Very cheap, very small and light and it stops the wheel instantly!

This might :roll: :lol:
put dog turd 💩💩💩on the seat( in a poo bag) on the bars will Deter most. #-O :-O . (post to🤎 WRT LHC WhatsApp group aswell🤎) :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Put the above mentioned lock and cable on the scales, it's actually 40 g.
Cable and lock that is.

And I don't use the original (EagleCreek) lock anymore (can't remember why, may have been rubbish, may have lost it). Had forgotten about this. I've changed to a similar mini lock from BurgWächter called Combi-Lock.
woodsmith wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:19 pm That out of stock suitcase lock you linked to looks soooooo much more robust, I must send of to the US for one as soon as its available
I just linked the original website (you may excuse me for not picking your preferred shop where it may be available) and I'm sure you can get it from a local travel shop or uk online store.

And to follow up on why I can't recommend it:
Large plastic box, yet only thin & short cable (with no coating) and worst of all, becomes jammed (cable doesn't rectract anymore), once it has seen some use with lying in framebags/rucksacks.