Bikepacking with health (stomach) issues?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

UnderTheRadars

Bikepacking with health (stomach) issues?

Post by UnderTheRadars »

For Bears there’s not much talk about sh*thing in the woods here!

I’m a long time sufferer of chronic IBS and was wondering if there are any others out there that struggle with it and if so if you can share your tips and stories.

For those that really don’t know much about IBS I’ll explain it to you (if you don’t like poo talk then back out of this thread now). Basically, at any time with just a moments notice (some times it can actually be seconds) my stomach can cramp and I have to rush to the toilet. This usually happens after I’ve eaten food, but, as you can imagine, suffering from this condition causes me great anxiety, which is a pain as anxiety also triggers it, so anytime I get slightly anxious… You get the idea.

So for bikepacking it isn’t ideal to say the least…. The regular food intake needed for long trips, the risk of having to find somewhere to dump within a moments notice, the extra toilet paper, the embarrassment/anxiety meaning solo trips only. Then the after effects, you know that feeling of being totally empty and nausea after a stomach bug? That’s how I feel after an attack, so trying to ride decent distances is a struggle.

I really wouldn’t wish this on anyone :| but if you suffer with similar issues then please let me know how you deal with it
ScotRoutes

Re: Bikepacking with health (stomach) issues?

Post by ScotRoutes »

metalheart to the forum 😂
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:39 pm For Bears there’s not much talk about sh*thing in the woods here![...]
the embarrassment/anxiety meaning solo trips only.
[...]
I thought there was at least thread about sh*tting in the woods on here and I thought it was remarkably serious and cultivated.

Anyways, for riding with others... I hope you can find the courage to ride with other folks. I'm a bit of an misanthropist but have been lucky enough again and again to meet lovely folks. The kind of people you instantly connect with for whatever reason and where trust comes naturally and embarrassment is hardly possible. I like to think there are people around you with whom you cannot only find deep trust but also support you with your condition. Good luck.

And good job on not letting your condition hold you back!
:-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I'm sure that others will be very symathetic to your problem if given a heads up so I wouldn't let that hold you back from riding with others. I find that strenuous exercise puts my guts on something of a hair trigger. The first trail name I ever got while hiking was " cat-hole" due to the number of times I was seen dashing into or appearing out of the bushes. After a bout of giardia in Scotland two years ago the GP I spoke to there reconned that a lot of cases of IBS were due to undiagnosed Giardia infection.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

#trowel
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

yourguitarhero wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:28 pm #trowel
#helpful
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you're ever in need of unjudgmental company, you know where to find me!
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Thank you for the kind offers.

Yes, #trowel, but when you have less than a minute or two to find a suitable spot, dig a hole, undress and squat (hoping it just goes in the hole and not everywhere else - hope you’re enjoying breakfast!) then feeling utterly drained for the rest of the day, and having to repeat the above numerous times, I was just wondering if anyone else suffers this
Dean

Post by Dean »

Have you considered carrying compostible bags and a poo box, like snowholers do in the Cairngorms? A screw lid cylinder should fit into a large stemcell/fork bag. I find locating a good place to dig a deep hole more stressful than the act of disrobing.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I have shat into a green ( biodegradable but not very robust) co-op carrier bag inside the tent on numerous occasions ( dreading the day this goes horribly wrong) and dangled it off the bars until I find the nearest dog crap bin as I regularly have only a few moments notice in the mornings. Thankfully this doesnt happen too often through the day. Couple of times while hiking I've gone well off trail and assumed the position only for hikers to walk past not far away when the trail switchbacked. I just give them a cheery wave.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Dean wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:20 pm Have you considered carrying compostible bags and a poo box, like snowholers do in the Cairngorms? A screw lid cylinder should fit into a large stemcell/fork bag. I find locating a good place to dig a deep hole more stressful than the act of disrobing.
Not heard of those before, shall take a look, thanks!
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:36 pm I have shat into a green ( biodegradable but not very robust) co-op carrier bag inside the tent on numerous occasions ( dreading the day this goes horribly wrong) and dangled it off the bars until I find the nearest dog crap bin as I regularly have only a few moments notice in the mornings. Thankfully this doesnt happen too often through the day. Couple of times while hiking I've gone well off trail and assumed the position only for hikers to walk past not far away when the trail switchbacked. I just give them a cheery wave.
Or I could find those dog owners who leave their poo bags hanging in a bush and go throw mine into their garden bushes

(Thankfully most carrier bags now don’t come with those breathing holes in!)