Gravelmap.com

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

Gravelmap.com

Post by Karl »

Seen this mentioned in a facebook group. Looks like it's pretty comprehensive (around the peaks at least). Don't be fooled by the website name, I think it highlights bridleways. So just be cautious with your gravel bike planning, but looks great.

http://gravelmap.com
Lazarus

Re: Gravelmap.com

Post by Lazarus »

I like the idea bbut it's terrible for where I am hardly anything at all ( one bit is 100% a footpath and nowhere near cleanable on a gravel bike ( up or down )!

Will see if I can update it when on a bigger screen
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's a lot of tarmac road. I guess it allows for that dual on/off road thing that gravel bikes are handy for.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

The link lands on the map page. There doesn't seem to be much info about what "they" are trying to do, route criteria, RoW status etc etc.

I may just be being technically incompetent (Grandad!) but I like to understand what a thing is, how it works and who is providing it, at least a little bit.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

A good idea to be sure but the track selection in Devon is random to say the least. Both sealed NCN routes and up to your armpits mud bridleway are included.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just had a look around us - some very odd choices, almost as if someone had scraped data from Strava and filtered on "gravel bike"! :lol:

Things like the YD300 are included, even more surprising are the Lakeland 200 loop and the "Bear Bones Bash" The latter two have been lifted from bikepacking.com as have several other long distance routes like the HT550.

Conversely there's quite a lot of rideable green lanes around us that aren't included.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If you hover on the routes some are 'dirt' and some 'gravel' so they do differentiate between them.

The route on the Island is a Dirt route and was created by a local. I think users can just add routes so there will be some random choices.

The cycle path from Yarmouth to Freshwater is a 'gravel segment' but to me it's 2.4 miles of cycle path on an old railway line with loads of families and dog walkers and to be avoided at weekends and in the school holidays :lol: The chap who submitted it (Sjoerd Brouwer) appears to live outside the uk and most of his submissions are in Scandinavia? So either he was here on holiday, or more likely he did it from a map/google earth.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:50 am Things like the YD300 are included, even more surprising are the Lakeland 200 loop and the "Bear Bones Bash" The latter two have been lifted from bikepacking.com as have several other long distance routes like the HT550.
A chap called Ant Warland seems to have added most of those Bob, as well as the one on the Island.

https://gravelmap.com/user/34410-ant-warland
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just looked at the SD300, it says the route is 187 miles with 13,343 feet of ascent, I assume this comes from Komoot? When I rode it I recorded 190 miles, so pretty close, but I had 22,212 feet of ascent, so that will be a shock to anyone who thinks it's 13 thousand :lol:
ootini

Post by ootini »

Interesting site. Seems to be missing a lot of routes up here in North Wales. But that said, it indicates a few near to me that I didn't know about.
I'll check them out this weekend

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm surprised by how few there are round here. Seems to be a few bits of the TCW but that's about it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Missing a lot of canal towpath around here
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

North Notts / north Lincs / south Yorks isn't the off road void that this would seem to imply. Like any user submitted database its going to be massively inconsistant and potentially lead people astray. For example there is no legal (bike) access from Great Dun Fell to Cross Fell/Gregs Hut. Its not a resource i can ever see myself using.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Expect a couple of years of crowd-sourced mapping to be input before the service becomes chargeable and is sold to some "investment" group.

I'll continue to improve OSM in my area and those I pass through.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Nice presentation, although "gravelmap" seems a bit of a miss-naming. Just seems to be a nicely presented set of bike routes. Quite useful how all the segments are bolded so you can see where they are easily.

I like the fact that Black Sail Pass and Scarth Gap appear on a website called "gravelmap" though. Would be great entertainment to see someone on a gravel bike ride them :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm sure there was something similar that appeared a few years ago, again somewhat odd choices of routes and it was obvious once you dug into it that it was simply OSM data with different lines for BWs as errors in the OSM data were also there. Not sure what happened to that site.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think relying on users adding data is always going to be an issue for this kind of thing as there is little or no way for them to be checked so you will never be sure as to what a route might end up like. Plus it depends on people taking the time to upload routes and I suspect most people couldn't be bothered or may not want to share stuff. OSM is OK but has big gaps and lots of inaccuracies so you'd be dubious about relying on it other than in fairly benign environments....

I guess it needs to be a nationalised resource but I can't see many ROW / access Authoritys sticking their neck out that much. Guesswork is a far better method of route planning :grin:

Not much on Scotland by the looks!