Inside car protection / bike sock

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Inside car protection / bike sock

Post by FLV »

Since swapping my van, I've been using a bike rack to move my bike around. But after only a year of use (1-2 times a week) it's pretty knackered. (Yes, I can fix a lot of it, not all though).

The question is, does anyone use anything clever and easy to use to transport bikes, often muddy, inside the car that

a) isn't a total ball ache
b) protects the car and bike

It's a decent size car, but it's front wheel off.

I have a "universal" boot protector that works ok for muddy shoes etc. Is a bigger one of those the best option?

Cheers.
Lazarus

Re: Inside car protection / bike sock

Post by Lazarus »

Cheap tarp was what I used easy to keep in the car ( but use a towball rack now ).
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Plastic bag from a mattress (was delivered in it). Careful slitting makes it fairly good at containing any water / mud that drops off as it is effectively an over-sized sandwich bag. The heavier gauge ones are more durable, obvs.

All the dedicated stuff seems to be over engineered and priced for my tastes.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:27 am Cheap tarp was what I used easy to keep in the car ( but use a towball rack now ).
Thats what I use, the tilt is broken (I can probably fix it), the upright bar is very worn (so will need replacing), the electrics have started playing up (pain in backside) - So I will likely try to return it as it is warrantied. I dont really like the idea of getting a new rack once a year though, even its warranty.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I use an old single duvet slit lengthwise. Keeps the mud off although damp soaks through obviously. Plus was a bit smelly when I kipped in the car after the BB200 and the bike was covered in sheep dung....
faustus

Post by faustus »

I use a boot protector and some old sheets, worked well for many years but don't travel with a bike much now. Sheets don't take up much room once folded, soak up most damp/mud and can be used to wrap up wheels/helmet/anything muddy and cover up the bike and pad out edges like pedals. Boot liner helps protect from scuffs and extra muck. I agree that purpose made stuff is pretty expensive and less flexible for use; I use the sheets for other things in the boot and going to the tip etc. It can still smell a bit if you have sh1t on the bike, but so would anything else.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Duffbag Monster XL bag is great.
Second hand only though
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the tilt is broken
What make ?. My Pendle rack is decades old and still going strong ( no tilt though and uses a back plate )but not great for wide tyres . It's pretty basic and agricultural .
FLV

Post by FLV »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:23 pm
the tilt is broken
What make ?. My Pendle rack is decades old and still going strong ( no tilt though and uses a back plate )but not great for wide tyres . It's pretty basic and agricultural .
Atera. I am in dicussions to get it sorted as it has a 3 year warranty. So its likely going to get sorted. Its tedious putting it on and off though
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes back plate are so much better IME they cannot slip either and fit in seconds
Good luck getting it sorted

EDIT : My lights went on mine and I bought a magnetic set off ebay.fpr about £15 I think . A dead simple fix as the magnets unscrewed and I could bolt them easily to my rack.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dave, not sure if it helps but way back when, when I used to go mtb with my 2 siblings. My elder had gotten a Thule as his first rack (took all three of our bikes with abut 2 4 tires in 26er flavour) fine but getting it on and off was tedious. Then he upgrading to the higher grade Thule which just locked on the tow ball with a single click and had a tilt function. Never had a problem with either in about 4 or 5 years (I think he still uses it 4 years on) and was really easy managing the bikes.

Only thing that stopped me going for one was the carrying to and from the shed as it could become hard work going round the back of the house (and being Thule, the money!). Maybe that's an option...

For ref, I have the Outback and just carefully fling the mtb in. Though not the cleanest I suppose but just lay a sheet below and then cover it up with another (trade type decorators sheets). Pls do let us know how you get on and what your fix was or what you went for in the end...

Ta
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm currently looking for a cheapo clamshell bag that fits the whole bike
JackT

Post by JackT »

If you can't get a mattress protector etc for for free, the CTC bike bags are £12 and made of fairly thick plastic sheet, should be good for a few years at least. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cycling-uk ... c-bike-bag
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I made a liner from a roll of black wadding I had laying about, it has a waterproof fabric on one side so keeps the crud off the car interior, I think it might be for horse blankets. I made it to fit once the back seats are laid down, it' over size enough that it will also fold back over and cover everything else for a bit of security when using accommodation etc.

I picked up a wheel bag off Ali Express which I expected to last a few trips I was lucky, it's still going strong after three years and I'd recommend to anyone who faffs with in-car bike transport.

I sometimes take a 5L pressure sprayer bottle if I'm expecting a lot of filth and give the bike a quick blast down before it goes in the car.
br

Post by br »

I use a king size winter quilt from Asda, £15.

Protects car and soaks up anything from the bike - must work as not a mark on the cars' interior.