Do you ever ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Do you ever ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you ever perform a certain task (something that you do on a regular basis) and as you begin, you think about a certain person? Each job will have a specific person attached to it ... as an example, whenever I cut carbon into sections, I think of Sweary Dave :shock: . When I mix cement I think of someone I used to build engines for, etc. I assume my brain now simply sees it as part of the job and produces the thoughts automatically?

Apologies if it's just me and I'm weird.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Re: Do you ever ...

Post by Bearlegged »

Whenever I'm chopping onions, I feel guilty about the time my mate Tim had to cut short his day's riding to take me to Bangor A&E after I split my hand open at Antur Stiniog.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

when i dry lettuce I have washed i think of my Gran but in general no
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

My friend left me to babysit his Makita track saw when he moved to Oslo, so every time I use it I think I should message him. Sometimes I do, sometimes with pictures of whatever job I'm butchering with his indirect assistance.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, some bike-related ones where I'd maybe carried out some maintenance/fix for the first time or fixed something on the trail for someone.

I think of metalheart whenever I pitch my Lunar Solo :cry:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Is that a euphemism :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Whenever I'm sharpening my axe I think about that bloke I used to work with. No idea why.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Whenever I clean all the disgusting congealed fat out of the grill pan I think of the Bearbones poster "Wotsits".
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

When I've got a bike up in the repair stand with the back wheel spinning to oil the chain, I think of a similar occasion when I was mechanicing at Planet X and the owner Dave Laughran was showing some big wigs from Campag around and for reasons best known to himself decided to stick his finger in the disc rotor.
Oh how we all laughed :shock:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:17 am Whenever I'm chopping onions, I feel guilty about the time my mate Tim had to cut short his day's riding to take me to Bangor A&E after I split my hand open at Antur Stiniog.
Whenever I chop onions I think of a late friend with whom I often went riding (he fell down a rock cliff on a bike trip).
He enjoyed cooking and on a multi day trip in Arosa he was all excited about new learned tricks for chopping them up easily.
A nice way to be reminded of this great person.
I love Indian dishes, onions, garlic etc. and believe a sendwich must include onions, so I get to think of him often.

Nearly evertime I brush my teeth, often standing on the stairs with two dropped heels to stretch, I think of work. Since I work as a product developer for mostly dental biomaterials I shouldn't be surprised, but it kind of gets me.

I also have this with music and smells. Some songs or albums never fail to take me to a concert or another moment, like reading a book to which I was listening a certain album in loop.
Certain smells always have me looking for foxes or take me back to my late Grandma's room in her bungalow out side Ashton-u-Lyne. A certain perfume takes me back to Rogen & Femundsmarka's smell of nature in late autumn. Bugger I don't still know what perfume it is... I'd bathe in it.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

When I go to do the dishes which is most nights, I think of the misses and why she continues to fill the sink to the brim for me to empty before actually starting the washing up :lol:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Give the dirt a little room.
Verena

Post by Verena »

When I have just butter on bread, I think of my grandmother. She used to tell me off if I ever didn't put the butter on so thick that you'd be able to see teeth marks when you took a bite.
It was because of the war and never having enough food, so afterwards for the rest of her life she made a point of always having plenty of butter (oddly whilst continuing to otherwise live a very strict and frugal existence...)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Whenever I dry off after a bath or shower I think of my Grade 7 teacher Mr McCrindle who took the school assembly health sessions and would always insist that you must "carefully dry between your toes" to avoid getting tinea. So I always carefully dry between my toes. Must work. I've never had tinea.
I'm just going outside ...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

TheBrownDog wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:30 am Whenever I dry off after a bath or shower I think of my Grade 7 teacher Mr McCrindle who took the school assembly health sessions and would always insist that you must "carefully dry between your toes" to avoid getting tinea. So I always carefully dry between my toes. Must work. I've never had tinea.
I was wondering where this was going…
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Every time I get up from a chair I'm reminded of my dad who used to get up in exactly the same way. Probably the sighs and groans are similar as well :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Reading this thread, I am relieved to find that I am not as strange as as I was thinking I might be.
RIP

Post by RIP »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:03 am
TheBrownDog wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:30 am Whenever I dry off after a bath or shower I think of my Grade 7 teacher Mr McCrindle who took the school assembly health sessions and would always insist that you must "carefully dry between your toes" to avoid getting tinea. So I always carefully dry between my toes. Must work. I've never had tinea.
I was wondering where this was going…

Well, Tim's not told us about what he's doing when he thinks about Mrs McCrindle yet........
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Mrs McCrindle was rather hot and so was Mr McCrindle. I think they balanced themselves out in terms of the Year 7 girl/boy - fancy your teacher/teacher's spouse ratio ..... that is so totally a thing.

I wasn't so bothered with Mrs McCrindle though, as I was with Lindy Lawson. She was more my age and you couldnt look at her more than a few moments because you'd burn your eyeballs out.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:13 pm Whenever I clean all the disgusting congealed fat out of the grill pan I think of the Bearbones poster "Wotsits".
Soo much resentment, & after you were reminiscing about one of our lakes trips a few weeks ago.. :roll:

Whenever the news is on lately & see what Putin is doing in Ukraine, it's always reminds me how awful an over inflated male ego is & how damaging it can be, not only to those around them, but eventually to themself..

Sounds like you need a change of diet :wink:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bugger, I've just had a shower and I now believe that from this day forth, I'm destined to think of Tim every time I do :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

On the upside, you're drying your toes properly?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Stu, if it's any consolation, every time I drag out my track pump I think about the 2019 WRT where I asked if I could borrow your track pump and you gave me The Look before helping me out. It was like this:

I've asked my mother in Queensland to dig out the class photographs from the 1970's so you can all share in the glory that was Mr MCrindle and his short sleeved shirts, horn-rimmed glasses and impossibly thick neck. Mum's just had back surgery and in two weeks is getting a benign tumor removed from behind her left ear, so it might be a while.
Last edited by TheBrownDog on Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Look forward to that Tim. And ones of Mrs McC obviously.

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Every time I get out of the shower, I remember a bit of advice I was given a long time ago :-

“When you get out of the shower, never fart before you've dried your arris (unless you’ve got brown towels)”

:lol:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...