Disposable BBQ

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Disposable BBQ

Post by lune ranger »

Tucked away in the depths of my Apple News today:

Waitrose and Aldi scrap disposable BBQs.
Supermarkets Waitrose and Aldi are to stop selling disposable BBQs because of their impact on the natural environment and wildlife. Aldi added that the ban would also lead to the removal of approximately 35 tonnes of single-use waste packaging. Warmer weather sees a spike in sales of the foil devices as people seek an al fresco eating experience.
But many have raised environmental concerns about their use, such as the New Forest National Park which has banned the use of disposable barbecues due to the risk of wildfires.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
psling

Re: Disposable BBQ

Post by psling »

:-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I saw that, good to see progress.

I was at Asda last night and I wondered why they had a huge palette of disposable bbq's in the entrance with 'get ready for summer ' on the sign. Obviously trying to offload them before they also stop selling them :roll:

In other good news, Tesco are stopping selling wet wipes that contain plastics. Some might say that it's because their own brand doesn't, but if it forces the big brands to replace the plastic in theirs then it's a good thing in the long run.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Good news. I'd like to see an outright ban but perhaps it would only lead to an increase in the lighting of campfires?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Not sure as locally they do them on moors where there are no trees so they would need to bring their own wood so I doubt it ( clearly it's lazy folk who buy these )
Edit ; should say I am in favour of a total ban
Last edited by Lazarus on Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Every summer the parks round our village become pockmarked with little rectangles of burnt grass. These things are a disgrace. Total ban please.
I'm just going outside ...
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Great news, having seen and dealt with the fires and wildlife destruction they cause a total ban can’t come soon enough
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

It would be nice if those paper *balloon things with a flame in them were no longer sold too!
A grassland fire ready to happen where ever the wind blows it.
* I dont know what they are called.

edit, I think they are called Sky lanterns?
Last edited by Jurassic pusher on Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I was up at a fire on the moors the other year started by some knobber and this car pulls up and a family get out and start setting up a disposal bbq I asked what they were doing and they were planning on watching the fire get put out while having their tea, unbelievable lol I got the police to move them on before I was sacked 😂
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

While we're banning things can we add mylar baloons to the list. Every hedgerow seems to have some Disney or Pixar themed decoration.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

firestarter wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:25 pm I was up at a fire on the moors the other year started by some knobber and this car pulls up and a family get out and start setting up a disposal bbq I asked what they were doing and they were planning on watching the fire get put out while having their tea, unbelievable lol I got the police to move them on before I was sacked 😂
That's something really special :shock:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

woodsmith wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:50 pm While we're banning things can we add mylar baloons to the list.
And Lauf forks, don't forget the greatest evil of all! :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The thing that surprises me with disposable BBQ is the lack of understanding regarding how long these things remain hot for. Me, I'd have thought it'd be quite obvious. :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:14 pm Every summer the parks round our village become pockmarked with little rectangles of burnt grass. These things are a disgrace. Total ban please.
In our local park, I've seen families using disposable BBQs on the (very dry) grass - whilst sat next to vacant brick structures built specifically for the purpose (and fitted with signs explaining what they're for). To compound this further, the council has now removed the structures.

I despair for the human race (even before the Ukraine situation started)
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:14 am The thing that surprises me with disposable BBQ is the lack of understanding regarding how long these things remain hot for. Me, I'd have thought it'd be quite obvious. :roll:
I came across one, still smouldering, that somebody had left leaning against a plastic rubbish bin. Luckily I was only s few minutes into a bike ride, and had 2 full water bottles.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:14 am The thing that surprises me with disposable BBQ is the lack of understanding regarding how long these things remain hot for. Me, I'd have thought it'd be quite obvious. :roll:
Or the fact that your food tastes of paraffin? In summer we get one a week left at Shoalstone Pool. Two of our benches are ruined after knobheads lit BBQs on them.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Shame to penalise the responsible as well as the irresponsible, but it's the right thing to do. I'm sure it was a disposable bbq (or rather it's owners) that caused the fire on the moor behind Ramshaw edge the other year.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Rob S wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:06 pm Shame to penalise the responsible as well as the irresponsible, but it's the right thing to do. I'm sure it was a disposable bbq (or rather it's owners) that caused the fire on the moor behind Ramshaw edge the other year.
Good riddance to them. The things are totally bone anyway, even if people aren’t using them to cause fires.
It’s not like you can even BBQ on them effectively
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC