How good is Endurance

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

How good is Endurance

Post by psling »

Don't think this has been covered on here but some amazing footage and stills of Shackleton's ship Endurance:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60654016

Stunning the condition that it is still in after just over a hundred years.
And, keeping it on-topic, apparently there is a bicycle aboard (but not found) :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Re: How good is Endurance

Post by whitestone »

Saw that this morning.

There'd been some discussion as to the actual location of the wreck as there were some doubts that Frank Worsley, the navigator on the expedition, had corrected for various atmospheric phenomena at extreme latitudes.

Somewhat amazingly, or "by coincidence" they discovered the wreck on the hundredth anniversary of Shackleton's funeral.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I wonder if any of the glass plate photographs left behind would still be any good?
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:31 pm I wonder if any of the glass plate photographs left behind would still be any good?
In the accounts that I've read, the plates that weren't kept were broken to ensure they couldn't be surreptitiously added to the collection. This was to save weight, so a very good example of TLS.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

The Cumbrian wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:45 pm
woodsmith wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:31 pm I wonder if any of the glass plate photographs left behind would still be any good?
In the accounts that I've read, the plates that weren't kept were broken to ensure they couldn't be surreptitiously added to the collection. This was to save weight, so a very good example of TLS.
I seem to remember an account off Frank Hurley going into the wreck to retreive some plates, ( the ones we have now) and that initially Shackleton had barred him from saving any. No recollection of the account saying the plates had been smashed. If they had why would Hurley go back into the wreck? It is several years since i read any of my many books on Shakleton and Endurance though so I could be mistaken. Could it be that at some point during the journey on the ice after leaving Endurance the collection was slimmed down?
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:56 pm
The Cumbrian wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:45 pm
I seem to remember an account off Frank Hurley going into the wreck to retreive some plates, ( the ones we have now) and that initially Shackleton had barred him from saving any. No recollection of the account saying the plates had been smashed. If they had why would Hurley go back into the wreck? It is several years since i read any of my many books on Shakleton and Endurance though so I could be mistaken. Could it be that at some point during the journey on the ice after leaving Endurance the collection was slimmed down?
Hurley did indeed go into the wreck to retrieve his cameras and plates, but the the collection was slimmed down and the discarded plates smashed.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

whitestone wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:25 pm There'd been some discussion as to the actual location of the wreck as there were some doubts that Frank Worsley, the navigator on the expedition, had corrected for various atmospheric phenomena at extreme latitudes.
There was a piece on the 6 o'clock news about it and the wreck was found around 7km from the last position recorded by Worsley.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:56 pm [...]It is several years since i read any of my many books on Shakleton and Endurance [...]
Same here.
Find it quite exciting and likely will grab some of the books and dive back into that amazing time.
True exploration (and so much more).