bikepacking frying pan

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

bikepacking frying pan

Post by composite »

Any suggestions for a bikepacking frying pan? Small and lite without being too small. ;)
Cheap would be great as well but I don't really know what the budget is. :?
Yorlin

Re: bikepacking frying pan

Post by Yorlin »

The Primus Litech wee pots have a lid that you can use a frying pan... I use an ancient trangia mini frying pan with a pot lifter, not the lightest but its a good size and does the job.

Evernew do a titanium one if you have 50 quid spare! :ugeek: You could drill holes in to make it lighter too! ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you actually want to fry something make sure whatever you buy has a non-stick coating. I picked up a hard anodised, non-stick frying pan last year. It might have been a Gelert or Coleman one, I recall it was less than a tenner ... seems to work okay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

Been looking at this one. Big enough to double as a plate as well.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/vango-ha ... n-94230019

AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

There's one in Poundland that is flimsy with a crap handle, but is a quid (obviously) and weighs next to nothing. Worth a shot
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Pretty sure that one from Cotswold is what we use for family car camping. Works very well, not super light but not mega heavy either.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Yorlin says ... the Evernew Ti frying pan is nice but costly. Weighs 140g and is 18.5cm x 4cm ... I'm always a little concerned about Ti frying pans, as Ti doesn't conduct heat as well as aluminium and the thin material can be prone to hot-spots.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Ah yep, read up a bit about ti heat transfer - it goes straight through and doesn't spread... Not a problem for noodles or a cup of tea but for frying that's not so great...

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... illet-p573
MSR 'quick skillet' looks pretty good £24, 166g, 19cm wide, though it's 5cm deep? Apparently it stacks :geek: Looks like it would sit well on a wood fire.

Couple of years back we camped out at Pattack falls (along from Laggan Wolftrax) and scavenged (dead) wood and a rusty bbq grill from the forestry plantation/illegal parking/campsite across the road- something like that would have been great as we could cook properly! Might have a look in the local pound shop, something that cheap you don't mind if it gets knackered or coated in blackened egg!