New Bike Day

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: New Bike Day

Post by fatbikephil »

Funnily enough I was chatting to a mate last year about the whole safety thing (on motorbikes that is) after he'd just smashed himself up thanks to a car turning into the side of him. Firstly we both agreed that jacking it in because of such a crash would be daft as we've both ridden bikes all of our adult lives so why stop now? Secondly we both agreed that cycling on a road was probably more dangerous as you are getting overtaken and that is the most likely time to get squashed. On a motorbike, even a slow one, you aren't getting overtaken much. Of course if you try to get your knee down on every corner you are going to be putting yourself at a lot of risk but its quite hard doing this on a 1949 rigid framed bike with square tyres :grin:
Jurassic wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:53 pm I'm erring towards a CRF300Rally now as I don't want/need to go fast and it's a bit lighter and a fair bit cheaper.
I've pretty much decided to get a CRF 300 once the Beemer has gone. Riding small / slow bikes has always been more fun than big / fast ones. Just deciding on whether to get the basic one or the rally one.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just thinking like you do and I realised that motor bikes provide me with a creative outlet. It's something I need to remain sane(ish). I can also find it in other places (although not really push bikes) but nothing really comes close to the almost blank canvas a bike offers and the fusing of form and function.

I've stopped thinking now, so we're safe for a bit.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Do it.

One of the few things I've regretted selling are my bikes. I liked my TransAlp, I miss my Africa Twin, the silver/red one was fantastic. I too became tempted by the new Tenerre, but would have nowhere to store it indoors in our current home.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ohh, id love an early africa twin.

I still recall the awe as a yoof in the back seat of my dads car as i saw a couple of early africa twins, loaded up heading off somewhere. Really inspired me.

Actually doing it too several different bikes, but ktm have a soft spot now for me.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:17 pm I rank a gold medal in the Welsh 2Day as one of my best achievements.
Mucho respect Duncan. I never got beyond clubman at either trials or Enduro - which is (or was back in the 80s) a sport where folk down at clubman level could ride the same course as the superstars. I lived in Enduro heartlands of Scottish Borders back then and spent most weekends either trail riding or Enduro. I remember riding a course over deep heather, worrying about rocks and holes, when a mate came past at twice my speed. I asked him if he had no fear of rocks and holes, and his advice was to look further ahead, open the throttle and just deal with whatever came along. Metaphor for life.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Collected the Tenere today, rode the long windy way home, it was ace! I found some photos documenting my motorcycle exploits the other day.
This was my first proper motorbike, a DT175 twin shock, 45 years ago aged 17. Passed my test on this one
Raced enduros for 12 years, this was the 1991 Breckland enduro in Norfolk
Still mean and moody
Seems I've got a thing for red and white Yamahas
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Particularly like the YZ, I always think that something like that would be a hoot on the road :mrgreen:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

That looks nice Duncan. Congrats...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The pic of the YZ brings back memories, it was such a handful on tight stuff I machined a steel collar that was sweated onto the tiny flywheel to soften the power delivery. The silencer was lengthened to get through the noise test and filled with loft insulation which had to be replaced after every race. I bored it out and fitted an oversize piston to give it a capacity of 252cc which meant I rode in the open class. It was results on this bike that got me a ride on a 300 KTM sponsored by the UK importer but a serious crash the following year ended my career, my best year was 4th in the British Championship. There were some tough riders about then, Geraint Jones, Derrick Edmondson, John Deacon(RIP)
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:23 pm An odd motorbike, now and then, in moderation, is perfectly acceptable. :grin:
Such as this one? :shock: :grin:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZMtdiLJ ... bertMaddox

My new role model. Who needs tail lights, eh? :lol:
May you always have tail wind.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:10 pm :-bd Particularly like the YZ, I always think that something like that would be a hoot on the road :mrgreen:
They are, I put a CR 500 two stroke on the road. I’d seen possibly the first super moto race in the UK, a bunch of nutcase French guys did a demo race at lyden hill, including a total loon on a quad with a 500 gamma engine in it. The quad was particularly nuts, exiting corners one one wheel while spinning it!

Went straight home and started converting the Honda, proper job, new enduro plastics with little lights and road hoops/tyres.
Ran it on the number plate off my V4 on the assumption that they were both Hondas :wink:

It was an absolute laugh, mostly used the front wheel as a parking stand, sold it fairly soon as it was either going to put me in prison or hospital. Thinking back the gasser short pull throttle was possibly a mistake for the road!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:28 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:10 pm :-bd Particularly like the YZ, I always think that something like that would be a hoot on the road :mrgreen:
They are, I put a CR 500 two stroke on the road. I’d seen possibly the first super moto race in the UK, a bunch of nutcase French guys did a demo race at lyden hill, including a total loon on a quad with a 500 gamma engine in it. The quad was particularly nuts, exiting corners one one wheel while spinning it!

Went straight home and started converting the Honda, proper job, new enduro plastics with little lights and road hoops/tyres.
Ran it on the number plate off my V4 on the assumption that they were both Hondas :wink:

It was an absolute laugh, mostly used the front wheel as a parking stand, sold it fairly soon as it was either going to put me in prison or hospital. Thinking back the gasser short pull throttle was possibly a mistake for the road!
:-bd Hmm, thinks.....
MuddyPete wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:11 am Such as this one? :shock: :grin:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZMtdiLJ ... bertMaddox

My new role model. Who needs tail lights, eh? :lol:
:-bd :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You've got a nice new bike ... you could look happier about it :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Looks like it’s fitted with a periscope :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:42 pm You've got a nice new bike ... you could look happier about it :wink:

Out of frame Trish is reeling off a list of jobs that now have to be completed around the house before he’s allowed out on it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You've got a nice new bike ... you could look happier about it 
Think you may have missed the effect, I was trying to replicate the photo from 45 years ago when I was a moody teenager. Now I'm a moody pensioner :-bd
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

You must be (have been) seriously good on a dirt bike Duncan if you were giving the likes of Geraint a race. God status.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

tobasco wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:51 pm You must be (have been) seriously good on a dirt bike Duncan if you were giving the likes of Geraint a race. God status.
Yeah, seconded. I remember reading about Geraint, Edmondson etc in T&MX when I was a youthful schoolboy trials rider. One of my mates later bought an ex Derrick Edmondson IT250H which had a YZ barrel and swingarm, it was an absolute weapon (I had a few goes on it). Respect and enjoy the T7.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

No, I can't claim to have been as fast as those guys. I started doing British Champs as a clubman and progressed to expert but trying to combine racing with a full-time job and young family was difficult. I once passed Derrick flat out across a Welsh hillside then realised why when I had a massive tank slapper on crossed ruts, he came back past laughing. Raced against Paul Edmondson just as he was starting, he was different class.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Love it, what a great looking bike.

I have ridden bikes all my grown up life, various road bikes mostly. Just a few days ago I was looking at a second hand Africa Twin, now you have posted this.......

Really jealous!
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I only ever rode at clubman level. Was involved in marking courses and marshalling in Scottish Borders in the 80s, when the likes of Dougie Kerr (he was head to head with Geraint for UK championship one year), Keith Bruce and Richard Hay were the top boys. I also remember seeing Paul Edmonson when he came on the scene and took things to another (unbelievable) level. different wiring.