Bar harnesses - recommendation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Bar harnesses - recommendation

Post by ScotRoutes »

I suspect that it might depend on the height between bar and front tyre and therefore how low the harness can be mounted.

Of course, a Jones Loop bar (or similar) gets around this too. You've no option but to mount the bag below the loop and you have the forward part for mounting a light
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Does not work with suspension forks IME can do as you have with rigid

Jones bars* are the solution though I agree ...bit spendy ( you still need spacers or you have no additional hand positions )

* Confuscious ( spell) work ok as well for strapping at a much cheaper price point
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:15 pm Does not work with suspension forks IME can do as you have with rigid
I use my Harness with Reba's and Blutos.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Is this just like you can do tubeless with any pump :lol:

You are making me feel inadequate* ( will try again but the bag deffo hits the wheel on full compression of my forks ) . Perhaps I have too much stuff ? I have only tried with winter gear

* One set of forks are Reba's but may have not tried it with them assuming it's not possible
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Stop slamming that stem 😂
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:15 pm Does not work with suspension forks IME can do as you have with rigid
As so often, TLS will leave you worry free. No problems to be solved.

I ride modern trail bikes with long travel forks, headtube as short as 95 mm and not exactly a tower of spacers or huge rise bar and have no issues with gear touching the front tyre when bottoming out.
Once I ride my trailbikes and want to make full use of the suspension, I tend to dislike anything but a small & compact bar bag. Kind of goes hand in hand in my books.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:36 pm Perhaps I have too much stuff ? I have only tried with winter gear
Or too much stuff on the front.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's generally just a sleeping bag but synthetic ones are bigger than down even if they are not that much heavier

Will have a play tonight now I know it's user error
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Perhaps you can find a drybag with a smaller diameter but more length.
Lomo makes one or used to make one iirc.

Edit: https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/12L-dou ... ml#SID=119
300 g for a 12 L bag seems quite hefty though. Should last for a while...
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

I'm another person enjoying reading this thread and would appreciate any advice/comments in relation to Jones bars.
I have got a pair of Jones bars to put on my XL size hardtail with 100 mm travel suspension forks. I am intending to carry a 2 kg tent up front and wonder what harness would work well?
Would I still be able to use my beer babe bag that sits in the loop of the bar?
Thanks.
Andy
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've carried 2kg in a wildcat Lioness without any bother but that is a lot on the front if you end up anywhere 'steppy'. I use the wildcat 'loop' bag with a harness or rev sweetroll no probs.
techno

Post by techno »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:00 pm I use my Revelate with light and GPS attached to the bars without any issues.

Yeah me too. Wildcat Harness works with same light/GPS setup
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I've been packing tonight for a trip this weekend. Popped the Revelate harness on with a strap, strap, cinch, cinch, strap, clip, done.
So simple, so relaxing, didn't need to remove the lights and GPS already on the bars and I know that in use it's bomber.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I can confirm that a Salsa cradle with 25mm removed from the brackets makes a big difference- better handling and the bars no longer have a mind of their own when getting through gates.

Will try the Dr Jon cradle next....
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

stevenshand wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:15 pm Some good chat on this thread. We always try and do something for the BB crew and so if anyone wants to jump on a Wildcat harness (Lion-front or Tiger-rear) then use the code 'tenten' at the checkout and get 10% off.

Steven
Top man!! Thank you, order placed :cool:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

BBB Front fellow harness. Any one here use one of these or have experience of them?

https://off.road.cc/content/review/bags ... eview-3041

Seems to get a good review and rated for long distance.

I need to decide between this, the Acepac and the wild cat to go on my Jones bars for my Spanish trip. Will be carrying a 2kg tent or most of it in the harness.

Thanks.
Andy
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I wouldn't use that as the 3rd strap goes around the headtube. That'll just cause wear to the paint/metal and abrade the strap. Look for something that straps to the fork crown instead.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:13 pm I wouldn't use that as the 3rd strap goes around the headtube. That'll just cause wear to the paint/metal and abrade the strap. Look for something that straps to the fork crown instead.
I concur - especially if there is no space between your top tube and your downtube, where they meet the headtube.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:13 pm I wouldn't use that as the 3rd strap goes around the headtube. That'll just cause wear to the paint/metal and abrade the strap. Look for something that straps to the fork crown instead.
Unless I'm mistaken the 3rd strap around the headtube seems to be the norm for various well reviewed harnesses incl the revelate and Acepac 🤔. Would helitape not sort the rubbing problem out or should I go for something that straps to the fork crown instead... and is this based on the fact it will be perhaps be carrying a heavier load than average?

Fork crown strap harness options? Wildcat and ?

Hope the above makes sense.... Especially as I'm more used to old fashioned luggage like my Carradice Long Flap saddlebag compared to harnesses etc 😂
Andy
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The 3rd strap on my Revelate Harness goes around the fork crown.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Why do you think fork crowns are more robust than headtubes ?( Won't it depend on what they are made off ? )
If it abrades it will abrade either surely?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:06 pm Why do you think fork crowns are more robust than headtubes ?( Won't it depend on what they are made off ? )
If it abrades it will abrade either surely?
The fork crown and bars turn together so you only need to deal with trail vibrations between straps and bike. If you fit a harness to bar and head tube then when the bar turns the strap will rub on the static head tube. Hope that makes sense. I've used a Wildcat Lion harness on my Solaris which has a rigid carbon fibre fork with helicopter tape for protection for nearly six years now and had no problem.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes pefect sense,thanks, i was not thinking about the impact of turning just rubbing

I went for some inner tube underneath electrical tape for my carbon forks
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've fiddled around with a few systems to avoid straps / bags rubbing on the head tube

This is my wildcat harness on the kramp. As I use short stems the back of the harness rubs on the head tube if I run the straps to the fork crown (they also rub on the lower headset cup) I use a wee plastic bar I got with my ortleib bar bag for mounting lights on etc. It just bolts onto the fork crown and the lion straps go round it. For the fatbike I went a stage further and welded up a T shaped bar.

With the Rev sweetroll - it rests against (and straps to) the bar which keeps it off the head tube - it is touching a bit as the stem is one of those mondraker ones which plonks the bars right on top of the steerer tube. To avoid this I've got one of those bits of carbon tube with bar clamps you get off Amazon for mounting accessories. This drops the roll down a bit and holds it in front of the bars.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

My avatar shows what happens when you don’t protect your headtube and have a strap around it... :oops:
Give the dirt a little room.