Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:45 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:36 pm Max min: https://www.cyinxping.com/index.php?mai ... _id=415132
I don't think that's max-min in the way most folk think, not if still needs to be operated to take a reading.
Can't see where it says that? One imagines you just scroll the min/max button to see what they are, and one commenter says hold it to reset and there's no instructions with it :???: . Anyroad, I think I've decided to go the frozen-water route now :smile: .

Now see what you've blinkin' started Sean :grin: . Bin that original photo off and we'll pretend none of this ever happened :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've lusted after one of those thermodrops for over a year, ever since I saw Shug had one in a youtube video. I could just leave Ralph outside and ask him how cold it was in the morning :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

The one with the probe looks like it could double as a tent peg
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

LBAMIP as they say. Will there be a flurry of activity this weekend?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:41 pm LBAMIP as they say. Will there be a flurry of activity this weekend?
Aye, get oot there folks, the weather is to be average and its the last weekend in February. Spring is a coming!
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I'm hoping for a cheeky Monday school night as have other weekend plans. Storms quashed initial BaM plans
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

Running out of time for a Feb BaM, so out last night for a local spin around the Cooley mountains (hills morelike). More mechanicals on this ride, as half-way through I noticed that the non-drive side of my Pinion C1.12 was moving slightly, soased off the pedals to avoid wear and tear (and off shopping for more tools today to tighten up the bolts).

The bivvy itself went better than last time, with a lot less faffing around setting up my tent (a much better spot helped). I was still a bit too cold to get much sleep (really really need a better sleeping bag for this time of year), and gave up after a few hours and headed home. Packing up was also much more efficient, with <20mins elapsed from getting up to getting going. So all in all, reasonably happy with it.

As a newbie to this game, does anyone have any tips about keeping clothes dry? Or should I just HTFU and accept that I'm going to be getting back into damp bib and jersey when I get up?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CacByp6trWi/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cab4W5mN2Gj/
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Phew, managed to get the February one in last night!
I headed to Cwm Eigiau to a spot I've used a few times before. I stashed some firewood up there about 5 weeks ago and it was good to see it still there, dry. And don't worry, the fire was in an old fire place with the flue built into the corner :wink:
Quite a few pics...
Image20220225_155406 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The late afternoon sun casting the last bit of sunlight past Crag yr Ysaf
Image20220225_162307 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220225_162226 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220225_163141 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220225_175348 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The mini bar!
Image20220225_165038 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220225_182051 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220225_184532 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Toasted Welsh tea cakes on the slate
Image20220225_193358 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220225_193108 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Cooked over the embers and a slate plate! :-bd
Image20220225_200048 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220225_200327 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220225_235910 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Still warm enough to cook my breakfast
Image20220226_075620 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

And one of the Carneddau ponies had a bit of a shock when it seen me!
Image20220226_082924 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220226_081613 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely Jeff although I feel your buttering skills leave a bit to be desired :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:45 pm Phew, managed to get the February one in last night!
Very nice, lovely scenery and lovely grub too!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Packing up in under 20 mins is good going, I'm sure it still takes me longer than that.
GoneCaving wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:03 pm As a newbie to this game, does anyone have any tips about keeping clothes dry? Or should I just HTFU and accept that I'm going to be getting back into damp bib and jersey when I get up?
Putting wet clothes back on in the morning is a right of passage for bikepacking :lol: it's only horrible to start with. If it's still raining then your kit will be getting wet anyway. If it's stopped raining it dries out as you ride. I find the thought of putting it back on is as bad as actually doing it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:13 pm Lovely Jeff although I feel your buttering skills leave a bit to be desired
Lol, it was buttered at home and fused together!
:lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As previously alluded to, I took advantage of a mild spell to head out last night and complete this months BAM. It was pretty windy when I set off and I'd a notion to head to Utsi's Hut again but my preference is to be outdoors so I'd packed the tent too and I detoured past a wee lochan I'd considered in the past. The spot I found was just perfect. A rise behind me kept the worst of the wind off and I was surrounded by the smell of fresh pine as they are logging not too far away. Once I'd pitched the wind picked up a bit more and I could hear it loud in the trees around me and see them swaying wildly. In the tent though, I was snug and warm, had a beer and then a whisky or two to celebrate my 100th bikepacking might out.

The temperatures dropped overnight as the wind swung around a bit but I didn't need to use the quilt I'd taken as extra. I was very relaxed when I awoke, content to have breakfast and just take in what felt like a Spring morning. I'm definitely ready for Winter to leave us now.

Setting up

The wider area. Not a summer campsite - the midge would be horrendous.

Obligatory selfie

View from the door

Packed and ready to go (and look, lots of room above that front tyre :wink: )

Not much snow (again)

2/2 for 2022
63rd consecutive month
100th bikepacking night
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Well you can scratch me off the list Reg

Went to one of my favourite Lakeland valleys today only to find complete devastation, deforestation and storm damage aplenty.
Did nearly 40km pootling about checking some old campsites but the only one in half decent nick had the local bears in residence so I moved on.
Rode back to the car a bit disheartened onloaded the bike and drove home again, a bit sad really.

Back to the drawing board, need to find something more local, or move house, I'll try and pick BAM up again next month.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Looks like Jeff has pulled out a massive lead in both the altitude and culinary categories
GoneCaving wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:03 pm As a newbie to this game, does anyone have any tips about keeping clothes dry? Or should I just HTFU and accept that I'm going to be getting back into damp bib and jersey when I get up?
Over trousers, goretex boots, gaitors and jacket will keep you dry (ish)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shewie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:55 pm Well you can scratch me off the list Reg

Went to one of my favourite Lakeland valleys today only to find complete devastation, deforestation and storm damage aplenty.
Did nearly 40km pootling about checking some old campsites but the only one in half decent nick had the local bears in residence so I moved on.
Rode back to the car a bit disheartened onloaded the bike and drove home again, a bit sad really.

Back to the drawing board, need to find something more local, or move house, I'll try and pick BAM up again next month.
February's fat lady (*) hasn't sung yet! Tomorrow night local? You can't conk out in the second month! All rooting for you here.

(*) absolutely no bodyshaming implied or intended. Figure of speech.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:59 pm
Over trousers, goretex boots, gaitors and jacket will keep you dry (ish)
It wasn't raining; my mid-layer jacket while warm isn't all that breathable. I guess I've just answered my own question.
Boab

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:45 pm The wider area. Not a summer campsite - the midge would be horrendous.
Congratulations on the 100th night out! I know the fens have a stark beauty all of their own, but [insert chosen deity here], it's photos like that that make me realise how much I miss home...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I ticked off this month’s BAM on Thursday-Friday of this week. Lousy weather as well as miscellaneous real life commitments had conspired to prevent me getting it done earlier in the month. The weather forecast for Thursday looked less ominous than of late so off I went into my regular stomping ground of East Lothian.

A couple of years ago while riding some eastern sections of the John Muir Way I’d strayed slightly off route to check out a couple of large ponds I’d seen on my pre-ride GE study. I was intrigued to see a fairly basic log cabin-type shack near the water’s edge. It had no window panes… or even a door, but it was otherwise weather proof and I resolved to come back one day and use it for BAM purposes.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

It’s quite a popular venue for dog walkers and bird watchers, etc. so I hung back until just before last light when things would be quieter. I soon got settled in but a cold wind coming off the pond and through the open door meant that despite my down jacket, trousers and boots, I was feeling a bit chilled. However, once I’d strategically placed one of the hut’s two tables across the foot of the door space to block the wind things improved dramatically.

I must admit I didn’t have the best night’s sleep, chiefly due to the noisy wildfowl who clearly don’t follow the received wisdom of getting at least eight hours sleep a night!

The next day dawned dry and bright and the wind had dropped. I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast seated at the window watching swans, ducks, coots and moorhens on the water as well as a robin, wren and a gang of blue tits on the nearby bird feeders. Good for the soul! :-bd

So that's 2 of 12 done for this year, my 50th consecutive BAM and, incidentally, my first as an OAP. :grin:
Last edited by JimmyG on Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Shewie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:55 pm
Ennerdale Rich?

I was there with the kids before the storms hit and it was looking devastated even then.
I had my first independent outdoor experiences there when I was 13, and it's changed an awful lot from the dense ranks of pine since then. I just hope that I live long enough to see the rewilding start to take hold.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Got my 2nd bivvy of the year in.
The 1st was in Jan for the winter event - in a bird hide at nant-yr-arian with chicken legs and dave b, and then Thurs and Fri this week on the Tour of the Cotswolds (write up to come). 2 bloody cold nights and 500km done. Cracking route but quite hilly....
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Shewie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:55 pm Well you can scratch me off the list Reg

South Lakes? Grizedale. Don't think there's much storm damage in Ennerdale, unless recent. I think Ennerdale looks better now, with all the Wild Ennerdale work, than it has for decades. Work in progress, but so much more interesting and diverse.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Sign me up Reg!
Feb done in conjunction with the world record bivi attempt..

Jan on the winter event was paid accomodation, so won't count.
Will hopefully finish the 12months with next years winter event..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

Phil's in charge :smile: . I'm just the statistician in the background :smile: .

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:17 pm :-bd

Phil's in charge :smile: . I'm just the statistician in the background :smile: .
Sounds like a team effort.. Sign me up team Phreg! :grin:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!