Tent pegs and hard ground

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

belugabob

Tent pegs and hard ground

Post by belugabob »

Just a quick query, to see how you folks deal with this.

If I'm car camping, with the big tent, then I just take the big tent pegs and a rubber mallet.

When bikepacking and backpacking, however, weight and space suggest that lighter pegs , and no hammer are the order of the day.

Suggestions welcome.
Lazarus

Re: Tent pegs and hard ground

Post by Lazarus »

Find rock use as hammer, bend pegs decide to get sturdier ones when home but don't as it saves 4 g per peg)

This is my approach to it .
I have mixed v ones and pins i try to get the pins in on hard ground with mixed results
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I've found MSR groundhogs to be almost unbreakable and stand up well to being hit with rocks.
RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:45 pm I've found MSR groundhogs to be almost unbreakable and stand up well to being hit with rocks.
Would they stand up to being hit into rock? :grin:

9g Ti V pegs and no hammer all the way for this ditch dweller.

Ground too hard? Roll on a bit and try another spot :wink:
Last edited by RIP on Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A short loop of guyline through the pegging hole/loop might give enough flexibility of placement so as to find a softer spot of ground.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I like to keep one peg in a stemcell (*). On arrival at a potential spot, very first thing I do is whip it out and do a bunch of high speed test probes. Depending on results, accept or reject the spot on offer.

(*) yes obviously there's other gear in there as well not just one peg. Mildly inefficient spacewise that would be :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:10 pm I like to keep one peg in a stemcell (*). On arrival at a potential spot, very first thing I do is whip it out and do a bunch of high speed test probes. Depending on results, accept or reject the spot on offer.

(*) yes obviously there's other gear in there as well not just one peg. Mildly inefficient spacewise that would be :wink: .
I'm just releived to hear its not being dangled :-bd #resistthedangle :lol:
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:10 pm ... first thing I do is whip it out and do a bunch of high speed test probes. Depending on results, accept or reject the spot on offer.
Fnnaaah fnaaahh :wink:
The double entendre is alive and well at BBBP :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
psling

Post by psling »

Nails. Or pegs like nails plus an improvised hammer.

Or wrap the guyline around a rock / lump of wood / bike / anything convenient.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:06 pm
woodsmith wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:45 pm I've found MSR groundhogs to be almost unbreakable and stand up well to being hit with rocks.

Not had any problems in very rocky ground in the mountains but I'd draw the line at using them as pitons :lol: . I did manage to break one once after hammering into what was probably a tree rot. Repeated kicking to and fro trying to loosen it eventually sheared it off.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:39 pm

Not had any problems in very rocky ground in the mountains but I'd draw the line at using them as pitons :lol: . I did manage to break one once after hammering into what was probably a tree root. Repeated kicking to and fro trying to loosen it eventually sheared it off.
RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:35 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:10 pm I like to keep one peg in a stemcell (*). On arrival at a potential spot, very first thing I do is whip it out and do a bunch of high speed test probes. Depending on results, accept or reject the spot on offer.

Plainly it's our duty to add additional pushes to help this thread on its rapidly spiralling downward trajectory, so yes it would be most ungentlemanly to whip out my dangler in front of any innocent Normals passing by. Best keep it hidden until there's someone worth impressing.

Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:43 pm

Plainly it's our duty to add additional pushes to help this thread on its rapidly spiralling downward trajectory, so yes it would be most ungentlemanly to whip out my dangler in front of any innocent Normals passing by. Best keep it hidden until there's someone worth impressing.
Although on that note if you're pushing it in so hard you risk snapping it you might want to consider easing off a bit.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Shirley we all just use the other side of our axe head to batter in our truculent tent pegs, no...?

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good job that ^ doesn't have suspension forks.
May the bridges you burn light your way
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Boab wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:50 pm Shirley we all just use the other side of our axe head to batter in our truculent tent pegs, no...?

OCD not severe enough to put orange squash in those bottles?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

belugabob wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:01 pm
Boab wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:50 pm Shirley we all just use the other side of our axe head to batter in our truculent tent pegs, no...?

so they don't have Sunny Delight
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

belugabob wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:01 pm

so they don't have...
Sunny Delight?
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Linkpin wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:51 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:43 pm

Although on that note if you're pushing it in so hard you risk snapping it you might want to consider easing off a bit.
Maybe move it two inches and try again?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:39 pm

Not had any problems in very rocky ground in the mountains but I'd draw the line at using them as pitons :lol: . I did manage to break one once after hammering into what was probably a tree root. Repeated kicking to and fro trying to loosen it eventually sheared it off.
You could carry a 1 steel pin :o :shock: (runs for cover)
use it just to break into tough ground.
then you have a choice.
withdraw it and replace a light peg/pin.
Use the steel to place other peg if they are stubborn...
20g it save breaking expensive a less durable alloy (and other exotica.) portable shelter ultra light ground fixtures ..
or pegs...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

belugabob wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:22 pm When bikepacking and backpacking, however, weight and space suggest that lighter pegs , and no hammer are the order of the day.
Some countries/areas can be tricky, since you must expect sandy, turf/grassy and rock solid grounds.
In such cases I've a mix of MSR Groundhogs, V stakes and pins, both in titanium, with me.
Often, when you're on rocky grounds you'll find rocks to help with a solid pitch. Remember to relocate the rocks once you're breaking camp.

The original Groundhogs are indeed pretty amazing.
V stakes come in many different shapes/types. I've had pretty strong one eg from Alpkit (couple of years back though) and some really weak ones (no idea where those where from). Same goes for pins.
ledburner wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:09 pm1 steel pin
Or simply replace it with enough trust in your luck and skills :grin:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Is that a hand grenade reference?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've occasionally packed one of the Easton alloy pegs. They are very robust. Hammering one of these with a rock then replacing it with a lightweight peg should do the trick.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

belugabob wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:52 pm
Is that a hand grenade reference?
yes, you can the bivi In the hole...out of the wind.. :roll:
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:56 pm I've occasionally packed one of the Easton alloy pegs. They are very robust. Hammering one of these with a rock then replacing it with a lightweight peg should do the trick.
Thanks the is a better and sensible suggestion. I just have a spare steel so my budget option, 10g heavier but no expense!
RIP

Post by RIP »

The steel one looks like it could double as a max/min thermometer :-bd :wink: