Watkins Way

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Watkins Way

Post by Verena »

Oooo, just seen this: https://www.visitherefordshire.co.uk/se ... atkins-way

I can just picture a leisurely trip doing this, maybe in late summer, or springtime when there's lots of apple blossom, with some picturesque bivvi in an orchard, belly full of God pub grub and Herefordshire cider....
psling

Re: Watkins Way

Post by psling »

That looks a fun road ride Verena, lots of nice points of interest along the way :-bd

I've ridden quite a few bits of the route over the years. The climb up to Arthur's Stone is certainly a challenge but soon after that I would miss the main road out after crossing Bredwardine Bridge, missing out Eardisley and Kington and finding a quieter cross-country route to Pembridge. The main road through Eardisley to Kington is quite busy with a lot of bends and sees a lot of lorries and the A44 from Kington to Pembridge is a trunk road; personally I wouldn't enjoy riding that part of the route and there are much quieter alternatives equally as interesting.
The 'Orgasmic Cider Company' could be an experience though.... :o :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:00 am a quieter cross-country route to Pembridge.
A good idea would be to go past David Nobbs's house at Broxwood like Kev and myself on the Rude Place Names Tour. I'm sure the owner would be even more baffled if we weren't the only people to pilgrimage there....
The 'Orgasmic Cider Company' could be an experience though.... :o :wink:
They do nice T-shirts...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:43 am
A good idea would be to go past David Nobbs's house at Broxwood like Kev and myself on the Rude Place Names Tour. I'm sure the owner would be even more baffled if we weren't the only people to pilgrimage there....

[/quote]

OT but possibly of interest to you Reg, an ex-girlfrien's parents house in Cheltenham was used for the exterior of Reggie Perrin's home.
RIP

Post by RIP »

That was a good factoid, excellent!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

As it passes within 5 miles of my home in Ludlow, I can see this being modified to incorporate more off road…. Thanks for the heads up 👍 will download the Strava gpx tomorrow
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:48 pm As it passes within 5 miles of my home in Ludlow, I can see this being modified to incorporate more off road…. Thanks for the heads up 👍 will download the Strava gpx tomorrow
Once you’ve sussed a more off-road route do you mind sharing it please? I think it’ll be a nice late spring 2/3 day bimble from Stourbridge
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:36 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:48 pm As it passes within 5 miles of my home in Ludlow, I can see this being modified to incorporate more off road…. Thanks for the heads up 👍 will download the Strava gpx tomorrow
Once you’ve sussed a more off-road route do you mind sharing it please? I think it’ll be a nice late spring 2/3 day bimble from Stourbridge
My first iteration ... https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38588973
This starts and ends in Ludlow.
It's not identical to the Strava route as that takes in far too much main road for my liking so I've chosen much smaller lanes.
I've not done every single point but it does visit most.
There are also sections I've missed as they're local to me and I've already been there.
If you want more offroad, especially in Mortimer forest I can ramp that up a bit.
There's a campsite and a couple of pubs at the very lowest point of this route :-bd
It's a start point anyway, I'm sure to rework it.
Verena

Post by Verena »

This is great, thank you :-bd
JackT

Post by JackT »

Lots of great lanes riding in Herefordshire. Call me an old curmudgeon, but I do find it sad that these sorts of routes are being marketed primarily as a driving route, with a bullet point saying 'and you can do it by bike too if you want'. North Coast 500 and Wild Atlantic Way are primarily marketed as driving routes. I remember being at a Sustrans conference and someone from Visit Wales went up to give a talk about a set of new long distance touring routes around Wales. I was getting all excited then it dawned on me that they were marketing them as driving routes and shock horror, the route featured some of my favourite lanes (including the one from Llanbrynmair north to the A458 which will be known by many of this parish).

I know there has been leisure motoring for almost as long as there's been leisure cycling, but it still annoys me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye. Equally annoying is the description of any "attraction", place, thing, location, whatever; in any magazine, newspaper, telly programme, leaflet, whatever; containing the words "it's only an X minute drive away". Just the thing Mr Toad would say.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:37 pm Aye. Equally annoying is the description of any "attraction", place, thing, location, whatever; in any magazine, newspaper, telly programme, leaflet, whatever; containing the words "it's only an X minute drive away".
One of the worst examples of this I that came across was in the visitors book of a holiday cottage we once stayed in near Llandildos. It said something like "and it's only a 2 hour drive to Snowdon"......

Easy Reg, take it easy, it's Cheery Friday....... aaaannnnnnnnnnd relax.

JackT

Post by JackT »

Obviously none of my curmudgeonliness applies to anyone driving a celebrated MTB route in a pair of 2CVs, and stopping for what looks like a picnic. Guess where?
2150640_33d91f6c.jpg
2150640_33d91f6c.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm going to guess at The Gap in the Brecon Beacons.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JackT

Post by JackT »

whitestone wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:48 pm I'm going to guess at The Gap in the Brecon Beacons.
Correct! 46 years ago according to Geograph https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2150640
RIP

Post by RIP »

Astounding. Wonder if they made it right through to the other side? Goodness knows where they'd reverse if not. Mrs Perrin had 2CVs when she was younger but I don't think this is her.

Verena

Post by Verena »

Maybe they carried it if they got stuck? My parents were big 2CV fans in their younger years, and have many tales of picking it up and carrying it out of trouble. With some help obvs. Also about canoodling the battery between them in their honeymoon suite on an extremely cold night, and then being the only people in the morning who could get their car to start...
psling

Post by psling »

I hate to be a terrible bore but those are Dianes in Jack's photo, not 2CVs :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

holiday cottage we once stayed in near Llandildos.
Was that a bring your own batteries holiday? :shock:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:30 pm I hate to be a terrible bore but those are Dianes in Jack's photo, not 2CVs :wink:
I salute this pedantry
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JackT

Post by JackT »

psling wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:30 pm I hate to be a terrible bore but those are Dianes in Jack's photo, not 2CVs :wink:
Dyanes :wink:
psling

Post by psling »

JackT wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:44 am
Dyanes :wink:
I always like to leave people a come back :lol:
Used to have one in the 70s, also had a Renault 4 which was equally as quirky. Only ever drove the Gap road in Series I Land Rovers though :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:47 pm
holiday cottage we once stayed in near Llandildos.
Was that a bring your own batteries holiday? :shock:
Yes indeed, but they weren't as powerful as the one canoodled by Verena's folks or we'd have given the Orgasmic Cider Co a run for their money :smile: .

Dyane - thank goodness Peter's on the ball upholding our pedantic standards. And, er, also that Jack's on the ball upholding Peter's pedantic standards.

This thread is turning out to be one of the most tangled for a while, excellent.

Mind The Gap, Mind The Gap. The Dyane is about to depart. Please stand clear of the doors.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

While we're playing this game, can anyone identify this spot?

May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:50 am While we're playing this game, can anyone identify this spot?
I've never cleared that hill although I have managed to get to the crash barrier. Far too many chevrons :wink: