Bivvy World Record Attempt

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Bivvy World Record Attempt

Post by thenorthwind »

There's rather a lot of rules and stuff for me, but I applaud the general silliness, and thought some of the BAMers on here might be interested in taking part:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ ... ordattempt

There's a Facebook link on that page which has more details, but the justgiving page is visible to anyone.
psling

Re: Bivvy World Record Attempt

Post by psling »

I know this one says "bivvy" (although he does say camping and bivvying) and is for a very worthy cause but that lad down in Devon has been doing pretty well camping out and has a head start for a world record of a year or so :-bd

EDIT: My mistake; I see this is to see how many people can bivvy out on the night of 26th February, not a solo ongoing period of camping out. That will work nicely to tick off February for the BAMers :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

psling wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:36 pm I see this is to see how many people can bivvy out on the night of 26th February
Probably should have put that in the first post to be fair!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Cool
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:36 pm I know this one says "bivvy" (although he does say camping and bivvying) and is for a very worthy cause but that lad down in Devon has been doing pretty well camping out and has a head start for a world record of a year or so :-bd

EDIT: My mistake; I see this is to see how many people can bivvy out on the night of 26th February, not a solo ongoing period of camping out. That will work nicely to tick off February for the BAMers :-bd
I did 2 years between the age of 15-18 in my back garden. All will be revealed in my new book out later this month
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All will be revealed in my new book out later this month
Kept that quiet
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:48 pm
All will be revealed in my new book out later this month
Kept that quiet
Still proofreading it...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Verena

Post by Verena »

So who is going to be doing this then? All for a good cause...

Have just joined the Facebook page, the rules are maybe going to be interesting for us here, as they say no poles (Polish people are fine of course :wink: ), to make it clearly different from camping.

All the posting of a photo with the people and code word sounds like a bit of fun, and does to be fair give some evidence.

I've had some interest from a friend who is new to bivvying, so I've done my BAM separately, to keep 26th free for a bivvy on foot, on top of a nice mountain, with or without friend, but without poles, so have a spot in mind with a couple of trees....

Who else is in, come on you know you want to??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No poles!!? I envisage some very wet people come the following morning :wink: How about a stick, can you use a stick or is it a wooden pole?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Wheels / bike frame etc.
Verena

Post by Verena »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:01 pm Wheels / bike frame etc.
:-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:27 pm No poles!!? I envisage some very wet people come the following morning :wink: How about a stick, can you use a stick or is it a wooden pole?
I'd imagine a stick would be fine...but hey what do I know... Guess they just want to avoid people sticking up a six berth family tent with gazebo, then calling it a bivvy...

I also reckon they aren't necessarily familiar with all the tent tarp love children we seem to be using here...
Verena

Post by Verena »

Here's the link anyway, and I've just seen that they would like you to go to the events section on the page and say you're going.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4115088 ... ?ref=share
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Err, I assume someone's told Jane about this and she's okay with it?
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 pm Err, I assume someone's told Jane about this and she's okay with it?
:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:42 pm Err, I assume someone's told Jane about this and she's okay with it?

Yeah. She booked up a really big campsite.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Verena wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:56 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:27 pm No poles!!? I envisage some very wet people come the following morning :wink: How about a stick, can you use a stick or is it a wooden pole?
I'd imagine a stick would be fine...but hey what do I know... Guess they just want to avoid people sticking up a six berth family tent with gazebo, then calling it a bivvy...

I also reckon they aren't necessarily familiar with all the tent tarp love children we seem to be using here...
Looks like it's a strict 'bivy bag' policy. Seems like he's answered it a few times judging from the replies below the screenshot.

Is it only open to people on Facebook (I don't have nor intend to)? or can we Twitter our participation etc...

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

NB. The question below the pic was, 'is this ok?'
mark

Post by mark »

I believe the English language may have a new verb -

Janed - to reduce enjoyment or light hearted pleasure with excessive concern with details or rules.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

mark wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:25 pm

Janed - to reduce enjoyment or light hearted pleasure with excessive concern with details or rules.
For my sins, I've also been seeing her Facebook output and it has similar comments about folk going out in "inclement" weather.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:31 pm

For my sins, I've also been seeing her Facebook output and it has similar comments about folk going out in "inclement" weather.
inclement - "unpleasantly cold or wet". Could be self-referential that.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

What, so it's now not ok/ somehow irresponsible to go out in bad weather ?!? :| I'm so not reading those posts...

Liking the "Janed" addition to the dictionary :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Reminds me of the "best practice advice" given out some years ago to outdoor education centres that above 1000ft all kids under supervision must wear full mountain clothing including overtrousers and jackets. It was pointed out that this meant they would need to be so attired to walk from the minibus to the café/shop at Ogwen and Pen y Pass in the middle of summer! :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

whitestone wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:11 pm

Reminds me of the "best practice advice" given out some years ago to outdoor education centres that above 1000ft all kids under supervision must wear full mountain clothing including overtrousers and jackets. It was pointed out that this meant they would need to be so attired to walk from the minibus to the café/shop at Ogwen and Pen y Pass in the middle of summer! :roll:
Yes when my daughter was in college they weren't allowed to do a geography field trip from Storey Arms on the slopes below Pen Y Fan, because there was no qualified mountain guide available.....