FFS no one needs this.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: FFS no one needs this.

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:34 pm After further 'discussion' I believe her view of wildcampers has been formed over the last two years
There is a lot of that about amongst the 'social media' generation = big issues that get blown out of all proportion by social media become major problems that have existed for eternity. "It says here that wildcamping is causing huge damage and disruption. You are promoting wildcamping ergo you are promoting huge damage and disruption" Perspective, logic, rational debate and forming opinions based on examination of all facts seems to be the preserve of.... old people?? I could mention climate change.....
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Used to take 20 plus into a wood and wildcamp, the only trace would be a replaced bit of turf for the toilet and trampled grass

It's not hard to do
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

it's civil not criminal
I know but it's still illegal. All that means is we won't go to prison but may need to pay some redress ( unlikely we will most likely just be moved on )
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:07 pm I could mention climate change.....
Go on then :grin: . May as well go all out for it, it's almost time for Friday's free for all :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think Reg is right - a certain irony in berating someone / some people for encouraging / engaging in self-propelled active travel because of the potential for negative environmental impact while condoning air travel and proclaiming that doing so benefits the local communities you travel to.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:13 pm
it's civil not criminal
I know but it's still illegal. All that means is we won't go to prison but may need to pay some redress ( unlikely we will most likely just be moved on )
I'm not paying. That would mean disqualification from Bivvy A Month as per Rule 5.

C'mon Laz, what you on about, "unlikely"? "Not remotely likely", considering as you say we will just allow ourselves to be moved on. And nobody moves me on. I may allow myself to shift to another location as a result of a person claiming to "own" the land due to their forebears (*) toadying to some French royalty asking me to and I can't be bothered to cause a scene, but I'm not going to be "moved on".

(*) Actually I'm not going to do them the honour of calling them "Bears"
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Robster

Post by Robster »

She’s right, it’s illegal but…. There’s so many places to discreetly spend a night with leaving no trace that it’s not an issue.

I’ve been two metres away from a track, out of sight even from a farmer passing in his pickup and not been noticed.

Mid Wales is a far different place from a big city but even there there’s bound to be opportunities and who is going to complain?

Quite a restrained reply from Stu.

Cheers Rob
RIP

Post by RIP »

I like this thread. With a bit of luck it'll spiral rapidly. Quite probably needing panda deployment at some point.

And you lot up there can keep out of the debate too :lol: . https://forestryandland.gov.scot/visit/ ... es/camping. "We encourage responsible wild camping"

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2 ... d-camping/. Woodland Trust - "Wild camping offers the perfect escape. Leave the crowds and the noise behind, reconnect with nature and discover your very own private spot".

Forestry Commission: "we are not actively encouraging sleeping out at night..... although people often do.... the risk from strangers in a woodland is very low indeed".

Forestry Scotland.... Woodland Trust.... Forestry Commission..... sounds pretty authoritative to me....

And those Normans (*) can sod off as well....

(sorry about this... it's not even Friday....)

(*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H94_cTbFgA
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Post by woodsmith » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:24 pm

When I saw the title I thought Stu was as outraged as me (spoiler alert, sort of :lol: )at the inclusion of an American spelling as the solution to todays Wordle
I was bloody furious at this! Lost my 100% record. Even my Kids are laughing at me and not even behind my back. Bloody NYT have a lot to answer for. While we're at it...I mean I know we're not, I know but...why the need for these American types to spoil their videos of bikepacking by using the word 'rout' instead of 'route'. Seriously. Sorry, carry on...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Rapideye wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:41 pm
Post by woodsmith » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:24 pm

When I saw the title I thought Stu was as outraged as me (spoiler alert, sort of :lol: )at the inclusion of an American spelling as the solution to todays Wordle
I was bloody furious at this! Lost my 100% record. Even my Kids are laughing at me and not even behind my back. Bloody NYT have a lot to answer for. While we're at it...I mean I know we're not, I know but...why the need for these American types to spoil their videos of bikepacking by using the word 'rout' instead of 'route'. Seriously. Sorry, carry on...
"Humor". "Favor". I got them myself I must admit. But only to annoy them. Bloody colonials. Can't speak the mother tongue properly (*).

(*) "According to linguist John Algeo in his essay <<Language Myths>>, (Penguin Press, 1999), he points out that many American forms of pronunciation are older than British ones......... Americans also fully pronounce all syllables of words like “library” and “dictionary,” but the British shorten them to “libr'ry” and “diction'ry.” Algeo shows us that in all of these examples and many more, the American variation is closer to the original sixteenth century version than the British one......... [it] retains many elements of Early Modern English (Fall for Autumn, Gotten as a past participle, Digged in many American dialects). So American English is closer to early forms of Early Modern English (the language of Shakespeare, Spenser, and Chaucer).......'Favor' is centuries older than 'favour,' for instance". :lol:
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

:lol: I've already sent a strongly worded email to Wordle. Warned them of going down the road of Uber, Meta and those other sub standard-heads. Some things are worth fighting for...just like the this wildcamping lark.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Hold on...I didn't say 'sub-standard heads', I said 'sub standard-heads'. Just to be clear.
Last edited by Rapideye on Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

:lol: I give up :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Don't worry, we all know you meant shitheads :grin:. Oops.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:13 pm
it's civil not criminal
Isn't it unlawful, to be illegal it would need to be a criminal offence :wink:

And the law defines 'camping' as 'the erection of tent or shelter' so biving isn't even unlawful, being asleep in the countryside is protected by statute as lawful, Reg will be able to fill in the details :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:28 pm I like this thread. With a bit of luck it'll spiral rapidly. Quite probably needing panda deployment at some point.

And you lot up there can keep out of the debate too :lol: . https://forestryandland.gov.scot/visit/ ... es/camping. "We encourage responsible wild camping"

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2 ... d-camping/. Woodland Trust - "Wild camping offers the perfect escape. Leave the crowds and the noise behind, reconnect with nature and discover your very own private spot".

Forestry Commission: "we are not actively encouraging sleeping out at night..... although people often do.... the risk from strangers in a woodland is very low indeed".

Forestry Scotland.... Woodland Trust.... Forestry Commission..... sounds pretty authoritative to me....

And those Normans can sod off as well....

(sorry about this... it's not even Friday....)
Reg. Pls may I ask a Q. I thought what we did was ride our bikes on legal trails and when we got tired we stopped to rest somewhere safe to ensure we're still gonna be riding safely. The bivy bit just allows us to ride further.

So is it actually illegal :smile:

NB. Looking forward to seeing it all absolutely spiral out of control and pandas being deployed (or is it Pandas... as they're 'the panda'... one, two and three etc). Trying to not be involved in when it gets to that stage though :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:09 pm Reg will be able to fill in the details :grin:
Noo-o-o-o don't encourage me! It's past my bedtime. I often keel over at the wayside because I've been overcome by fatigue and it would be unsafe to continue.

(edit: sorry Shaf, you beat me to it: "when we got tired we stopped to rest somewhere safe to ensure we're still gonna be riding safely"... oh, and it might even be "pandae" in some parallel universe...)
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Rapideye wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:50 pm :lol: I've already sent a strongly worded email to Wordle. Warned them of going down the road of Uber, Meta and those other sub standard-heads. Some things are worth fighting for...just like the this wildcamping lark.
Don't worry about Wordle going down the road of Uber & Meta - they only have 4 letters. ;)

(I was also miffed by the American spelling - on a 'co.uk' website - not helped by the fact that my surname ends in 'our' and even British folk can't spell it correctly)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Reg wrote: I'm in lurve. Again. For the 948th time. :X :X :X
Make that the 949th. Been watching this while typing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIm3K16OIl0. Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqMW4CHClk if you're as old as Reg.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:12 pm
sean_iow wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:09 pm Reg will be able to fill in the details :grin:
Noo-o-o-o don't encourage me! It's past my bedtime. I often keel over at the wayside because I've been overcome by fatigue and it would be unsafe to continue.

(edit: sorry Shaf, you beat me to it: "when we got tired we stopped to rest somewhere safe to ensure we're still gonna be riding safely"...)
Thanks Reg. You got me worried then for a moment that I'd been making illegal activities for 2021. Did take a lot of coordination mind but I was definitely totally 'naffed' before deciding to stop for almost everyone one of these safety-stops. Best one I remember fondly was the daytime stop after my 12 hour work shift. Twas ace :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:22 pm Best one I remember fondly was the daytime stop after my 12 hour work shift.
Nah, it was the world-famous seconds-away-from-being-steamrollered-in-Walthamstow-at-5am for me :wink: . Took the prize for 2021 did that, even Jane would have had to agree. They'd've had to roll you up and throw you in the back of the van after that one.:-bd .

In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

riderdown wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:29 pm There's a good YouTube channel "Fit for Adventure" iirc by a solo female wild camper in Wales

Point her at the channel
This is a great channel :-bd
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:28 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:22 pm Best one I remember fondly was the daytime stop after my 12 hour work shift.
Nah, it was the world-famous seconds-away-from-being-steamrollered-in-Walthamstow for me :wink: . Took the prize for 2021 did that. They'd've had to roll you up and throw you in the back of the van after that one , even Jane would have had to agree :-bd .
Oooh yes. That reminds me of the sleep near Kings Cross station. The one where I had to get out of the cycling lane before being met by the road-digger crew.

This 'sleep when you're tired so you can keep riding safely' is really very very satisfying :smile:

Plus you could argue that this hobby keeps the trails and roads cleaner as I believe most on here do a little sweep of others rubbish before moving on.

That reminds me (and I almost made a thread about this), I took a couple of bags on the walk to the kids school today. To clean up the dog poo that the silly pillocks (not the dogs, their idiotic owners) allowed yo be done all over the path where hundreds of kids walk to school every day.

I think another 'tosser' has bought a dog and thinks it's the done thing to use that path (to school). Am hoping that me taking it into my own hands might slowly somehow reduce the amount of times they sub standard their dog there! Almost certain that someone even took a pic or vid of me (some builders sat in the van) cleaning up so dont be surprised if they've made an Instagram post. I'm not mad (at the dog-sub standard)... honest. Just getting tired of constantly telling the kids to 'stay alert' etc...

Maybe Jane should take dog-sub standard tackling as her favour to the world and campsites instead (sorry Jane, if you're reading... I come in peace and hopefully you might be able to advise).
redefined_cycles

NB. If I had made a 'tackling illegal dog-sub standard' thread I can't think of a better title than the current one. Maybe we can change topics to tackling this antisocial activity instead. I spend many hours per day thinking about how to educate these tossers. :sad:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Isn't it unlawful, to be illegal it would need to be a criminal offence
illegal means law stops you doing something IE you cannot ( wildcamp ) unlawful means no legal authority/power/law to do the action( non land owner/ agent - also need proof on them iirc -attempting to move you on)