What Bouncy 29" Fork...?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

What Bouncy 29" Fork...?

Post by Boab »

I have no idea about suspension forks, literally none. Always fancied a Lauf, but they're spendy and I'm planning on the recently acquired On-One Scandal 29" v2 frame being a budget build. This will be my bikepacking bike for when the gravel bike isn't appropriate, and I'd rather something bouncy, rather than rigid. So what sort of budget bouncy type fork should I be looking at...? Just to make it sound like I know some buzz words, maybe 120mm travel with a slackset, or something.

If anyone has any 29", 1⅛" straight steerer, 100mm or 120mm travel forks gathering dust down the back of the sofa or what not, I'd consider taking them off your hands if the price (or lack of price) is right.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What Bouncy 29" Fork...?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

maybe 120mm travel with a slackset, or something.
This is me speaking but personally I wouldn't bother trying to go 'too slack' on something I was going to use for bikepacking. If memory serves, then a 120mm fork on a Scandal will be pretty slack* anyway.

*although not by modern** standards.

**but what constitutes 'modern? 66 degrees maybe?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:22 pm
maybe 120mm travel with a slackset, or something.
This is me speaking but personally I wouldn't bother trying to go 'too slack' on something I was going to use for bikepacking. If memory serves, then a 120mm fork on a Scandal will be pretty slack* anyway.

*although not by modern** standards.

**but what constitutes 'modern? 66 degrees maybe?
I think it has a 72° head angle, so figured slackening that by 2° would make for a slightly more entertaining ride and still quite far from modern long and slack. But like I said, I have absolutely no idea about this kind of stuff and I'll probably take whatever I can find to start with...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it has a 72° head angle
It's not static though Bob. Altering fork length will alter HA.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Rebas have always been my go to budget spec fork,

Simple to service and repair, solo air hasn’t got an awful lot to go wrong, are lovely and smooth once you remove what’s left of the sram butter get some slik honey in there.

Same applies to the bluto fat bike fork too.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

A fork with a greater offset - i.e. 51 instead of 44mm - will have the effect of pushing the front wheel forward, so slackening it a bit. I have a V2 Scandal and it feels pretty steep compared to even the older Solaris. Designed for a 100mm fork. Not sure what you'll get in 29" with a straight steerer.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294674946914 ... SwO~9hhoau - need 20mm hub.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284605109615 ... SwKpJh3dFM New Judy, but pretty chunky.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A fork with a greater offset - i.e. 51 instead of 44mm - will have the effect of pushing the front wheel forward, so slackening it a bit.
It'll certainly effect trail but painting a picture in my head, I'm not sure it'll effect HA as the fork legs / wheel simply move forward of the headtube?
stevenmcco

Post by stevenmcco »

I'm fairly sure it can take a modern tapered fork. I was just running a "reducer" crown race on the headset to use a old rigid fork. I think I ran it with a tapered fork when it had suspension. It has been a while so you would need to double check this.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If it can take a tapered steerer and you don’t mind a running a QR wheel. I have a very lightly used fork that may be of some interest Bob.
Ping me a PM if you’re at all interested.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

stevenmcco wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:59 am I'm fairly sure it can take a modern tapered fork. I was just running a "reducer" crown race on the headset to use a old rigid fork. I think I ran it with a tapered fork when it had suspension. It has been a while so you would need to double check this.
It is definitely a tapered head tube, I just thought it might make for a fun ride to stick a slackset in. All depends on what kind of fork I can find mind...
lune ranger wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:21 pm If it can take a tapered steerer and you don’t mind a running a QR wheel. I have a very lightly used fork that may be of some interest Bob.
Ping me a PM if you’re at all interested.
The rear end is QR, so I was considering trying to find a QR wheelset, or using 12mm/15mm to QR adapters depending on what kind of fork I could find. PM incoming...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just thought it might make for a fun ride to stick a slackset in.
You're used to a gravel bike Bob, this'll seem like fun even if it only had one wheel :wink: