Warm gloves

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Warm gloves

Post by lune ranger »

The gloves I use for nearly all my winter riding gave just given up after around 10 years of use and I’m looking for some more. The choice is pretty bewildering.
I need an all round glove to cover the 5-10deg range of your average Devon winter day.
The ones I have are rated 6-12deg by the manufacturer aren’t waterproof or strictly wind proof but are pretty weather resistant (Assos Early Winter) I’m looking for something similar. Anyone have a good suggestion, I may well just get the contemporary equivalent to my old ones which would be Assos Accessoires Winter.
Another left-field option would be a Dissent 133 glove set as I’m not too keen on my present really cold weather or really wet weather gloves. I never have found the perfect gloves.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearlegged

Re: Warm gloves

Post by Bearlegged »

I've recently got some of the Dissent outers, and am using them with cheap fleece and silk inners from Decathlon.
I'm not completely convinced they're absolutely waterproof, but they seem pretty good. The biggest win for me is being able to switch out inner gloves, so they don't end up waterlogged from sweat. This makes it much easier to manage heat and perspiration.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I noticed your Dissents this weekend Bear. Got some too and like them but they eventually give up like most 'waterproof' gloves. Also got Dexshells which are bulkier and warmer.

My 'kit of the ride' on the Winter Event were my Showa Temres 281 'washing up' gloves. Wore them for three/four days and they were totally waterproof and windproof. They certainly seemed to live up to their breathability claim too. With light silk liners I was toasty at an advertised 2degC. They also do 282 lined ones. I bought the size 10 'XL' which are just OK with the liners. They were only £9 a pair as well! Very impressed all round.

I'm now quite the smartly attired bikepacker with my washing up gloves and sandals.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I quite like my sealskinz knitted gloves, on my second pair. I inevitably knacker the waterproof lining on gorse but they are warm enough down to a couple of degrees for my cold hands and keep most of the water out. The wrists are close fitting and quite long so you can pull them over your base layer and then pull your outer jacket over the top for max draft proofness. I use them in sub zeros with pogies for very warm hands. They weren't warm enough on the gravel bike at -2 the other week so I'm on the look out for something warmer. My one go using waterproof work gloves resulted in sweaty and then cold hands.....
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I hate bulky gloves (especially for mountain biking) so would rather risk cold/wet hands over lack of feeling on the controls (yes, I realise cold/wet hands lead to lack of feeling).
After a suggestion on here I tried a pair of Galibier Ardennes Light Winter gloves which are pretty good, warmish and not bulky but not strictly waterproof. Galibier also do a full on winter glove if the added bulk doesn't bother you and Galibier stuff in general seems to be great value and decent quality. For off road I tend to wear 100% Briskers as they have an unpadded palm which I like but they're pretty useless in the wet or below about 5°c. I've just bought a pair of Brisker Hydromatics to try which are lightly insulated but not too bulky and claim to be waterproof. They're definitely significantly warmer than the normal Briskers but I've not tried them in the rain yet.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is the answer not 'pogies'?

I appreciate that they're not waterproof given the big holes in them but you generally won't suffer from cold hands. Proper winter game changer in my opinion.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:22 pm Is the answer not 'pogies'?

I appreciate that they're not waterproof given the big holes in them but you generally won't suffer from cold hands. Proper winter game changer in my opinion.
I totally agree but I find them off putting for riding techy terrain. I don't really know why tbh, I just do. I find them brilliant for normal xc riding though.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The answer is not pogies.
I only want gloves for average Devon cold, 3-10deg.
I want gloves. I tried out some pogies and apart from being overkill the ones I tried don’t suit my handlebar/controls arrangement on any bike I own.
Watch out for some ‘as new’ HotPogs in the classifieds soon.
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:44 pm The answer is not pogies.
I only want gloves for average Devon cold, 3-10deg.
I want gloves. I tried out some pogies and apart from being overkill the ones I tried don’t suit my handlebar/controls arrangement on any bike I own.
Watch out for some ‘as new’ HotPogs in the classifieds soon.
I'd definitely suggest having a look at the Galibier Ardennes gloves then, they're decent for not too much money and I think they'd work pretty well in the conditions you describe.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The answer is not pogies.
No oh. Well I'd suggest some industrial thermal / neoprene type gloves then. They never seem completely waterproof but they are warm without being too bulky. Cheap too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

+1 for the Showa 281 plus liner glove combo.
RIP

Post by RIP »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:39 pm +1 for the Showa 281 plus liner glove combo.
Yep. They tuck nicely into the sleeves of your waterproof top to keep the rain out. Also thin enough to have virtually no effect on dexterity. This weekend I interchanged between liners and no liners, with the temperature hovering around 2-6 degrees, liners at 2 deg and no liners at 6 deg! I've got average sized hands and size 10/XL allow enough room for the silk liners.

15% off first order: https://mstore.co.uk/products/view/show ... BlEALw_wcB

or https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/personal-pr ... j3EALw_wcB
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:57 pm I may well just get the contemporary equivalent to my old ones which would be Assos Accessoires Winter.
I decided to try Assos gloves this winter and bought a pair of the Spring Fall Gloves. The fit is something else, it's like they've been sprayed on, totally amazing, and totally useless below 10°C. I normally ride early morning, so I'm also riding fasted and this year have been really feeling the cold. Given how well the Spring Fall Gloves fitted, I decided to drop £70 on the Winter Gloves and have been really disappointed. What little padding they have is in the wrong places, they're not that windproof and I've found them pretty useless below 6°C. Their only saving grace is that I can fit the Spring Fall gloves inside as a liner, which gives me a few extra degrees leeway. I was out in them this morning, had both pairs on to start with, then took the lighter gloves off as it warmed up a bit. It started raining for the last 10km or so, and I can categorically state that they'll be utterly fucking useless in any sort of sustained rain.

The Endura Pro SL Primaloft Waterproof Gloves are £46 in the Wiggle sale, feck all padding on the palms though. :shrug:

I had the Galibier Ardennes Light Winter Gloves last winter, and they were OK, in so far as they were windproof and water resistant. They were fine down to 7°C, tolerable with cold finger tips at 5°C, but useless beyond that. They would also eventually wet out in heavy rain, although your hands wouldn't get cold, as long as the temperature was high single figures. Haven't tried their Barrier glove, as they're still on the black list after a shoddy experience with a pair of their bib shorts.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I use any old glove under Gore Extremity mitts. These did the business in Wales at the weekend, they are super lightweight and water proof as long as you keep them well tucked up your jacket sleeves.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Gloves are actually the last line of defence.

I assume you do the following.

1. Keep hydrated and well fed
2. Layering
3. Keep limbs warmer.
4. Reduce heat transfer from cold metal/plastic at hand contact points.
5. Don't overgrip.
6. Keep wiggling your fingers and move your hands.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:22 pm Gloves are actually the last line of defence.

I assume you do the following.

1. Keep hydrated and well fed
2. Layering
3. Keep limbs warmer.
4. Reduce heat transfer from cold metal/plastic at hand contact points.
5. Don't overgrip.
6. Keep wiggling your fingers and move your hands.
I’m not saying I suffer from cold hands, far from it.
I was just looking for a recommendation for some warm(ish) gloves for general winter use.
WSC
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Showers pass crosspoint are working well for me so far on Dartmoor. Only issue I had was when I wore them on a warmer day, got sweaty and then cooled down.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Boab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:44 pm
I had the Galibier Ardennes Light Winter Gloves last winter, and they were OK, in so far as they were windproof and water resistant. They were fine down to 7°C, tolerable with cold finger tips at 5°C, but useless beyond that. They would also eventually wet out in heavy rain, although your hands wouldn't get cold, as long as the temperature was high single figures. Haven't tried their Barrier glove, as they're still on the black list after a shoddy experience with a pair of their bib shorts.
Blimey, I don't consider using them unless it's below 5°c! I thought I suffered from cold hands as well, I must be tougher than I thought. :grin: