Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Roobell7

Re: Pleasant Valley Sunday.

Post by Roobell7 »

I arrived and returned with a mechanically intact bicycle. All electronics accounted for and working. The right amount of food remaining in my bags. What have I missed :roll:

I really enjoyed being lead astray by Reg and our small (some may say select :lol: ) band of followers. Great company.

Thanks for once again putting on a great event, Dee and Stu :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

Rain - tick
Hail - tick
Knock-you-off-your-bike-winds - tick
Windchill - tick
Amazing new-found bivvy spot - tick
Long pleasant valleys - tick
A moment of sunshine - tick
Stunning waterfalls - tick
Another great weekend in Wales, thanks Dee and Stu. Good company, good tea, good toast, good cake, good socks. Top weekend :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Particular thanks to Stu and Dee for putting the weekend on but great to see so many happy faces and catch up with a few folk.
Sitting in my van in the rain on Saturday morning I was thinking I might give the event a miss for a year two - I have done them all -but once I struggled up the hill to Staylittle I wondered what else I would be doing on a January weekend
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Thanks Stu and Dee. GRs were good, Cake was good!
My favorite was the valley just north of Dinas Mawddwy. Some spectacular views!
Also thanks to the guy that gave me free prosecco!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thanks Stu and Dee, what a nice event. Weather totally better than I had thought it would be, although hail still hurts when it hits your face :grin:

Rode with a great group and had a cracking time. Was my first ride in 4 months since crashing so very pleased to have got myself around OK

The Wynnstay Arms could well be the new Star Inn
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

benp1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:29 pm Was my first ride in 4 months since crashing so very pleased to have got myself around OK
I know how unnerving that can be, good job.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Well, another year and another WRT done and yet again I find myself disappointed.

Not disappointed in Stu, Dee, the GR’s, weather, my route selection or anything like that, just disappointed in myself again. As they say, next time will be better.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Another Winter Event box ticked.
This year saw 9 of us head out a little later that planned to avoid most of the rain and is was a great call.
Many, many more smiles than miles and plenty of plan B wet steep grassy fields to push through to cut out some extra bits from plan A.
Spirits were high all trip with a great evening around the fire (we were allowed to have one where we stopped).

Thanks so much to Dee and Stu for all that you do for us all.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not disappointed in Stu, Dee, the GR’s, weather, my route selection or anything like that, just disappointed in myself again. As they say, next time will be better
I see no reason for disappointment - man turns up in rain, rides bike in rain, camps out in rain and rides bike in rain again. That sounds like a win to me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:15 pm I see no reason for disappointment - man turns up in rain, rides bike in rain, camps out in rain and rides bike in rain again. That sounds like a win to me.
Was thinking the very same thing myself.
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:21 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:15 pm I see no reason for disappointment - man turns up in rain, rides bike in rain, camps out in rain and rides bike in rain again. That sounds like a win to me.
Was thinking the very same thing myself.
Mm, obv feel free not to respond but any particular reason for feeling a bit down about it? I'm sure we can cheer you up, hopefully Stu already has with usual wise words :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:59 pm They are the greatest socks I've ever seen :-bd
It's the label that puts the finishing touch to them. In fact I think I'm going to leave the label attached when I wear them :grin: :-bd

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Not just me that’s saved the label then :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Assuming there's any left, can you keep me a set Stu (socks)? It can keep my unclaimed Black Badge warm. :roll:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Roobell7 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:35 pm Not just me that’s saved the label then :lol:
Most definitely not just you :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Assuming there's any left, can you keep me a set Stu (socks)?
Already taken care of Richard.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Thanks.
mikep1972

Post by mikep1972 »

Thanks stu and dee for putting this on .
My second winter event .weather could of been a lot worse but riding with a great bunch and banter helps .
As does the warm fire when you fingers and toes are bloody freezing 😀
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

This weekend highlighted to me that you never stop learning.

I live in South Devon and typically travel up to Malvern on Friday, stay overnight with family and then nip over to Wales early Saturday morning. I have done this many times over the years and it works well for me.

I realised that I had forgotten my handlebar roll straps Friday night (in Malvern), too late to buy any sort of replacement. Managed to scrounge some bungees that I hoped would suffice.

Arrived in Llanbrymair as planned and after the obligatory chatter and catch up, starting faffing (preparing)...

First of all my trusty(??) Garmin Dakota wouldn't boot up. Bearing in mind I had uploaded the GPX, fitted new lithium batteries and checked that all worked several times. Frustrating... Then I realised that the bungees were of no use at all...

So, if I was going to ride anywhere, I needed to go somewhere I knew and that didn't require navigation. Then, I had to completely re-pack so I could ride with no handlebar roll. This meant shoving lots of kit in my rucksack, making it very heavy.

Our esteemed leader mentioned Hafren and how there are some nice spots out of the top of the forest near Pumlunon, so that is where I headed.

I had a great ride up the fire roads and out of the top of the forest and set off across the tussocks towards the first summit. This is where the hail hit hard (again). Now the light was going and the weather coming... Time to retreat to some shelter at a nice flat patch I had spotted on the way up. I couldn't get my pegs in the ground as it turned out to be a hard standing with the emphasis on hard! So, an exhilarating descent in the dark to the public loos and try to cook something warm to eat. At this point I couldn't light my stove. Again, this is after checking everything prior to leaving home. So.. scoff some food and head back to the van became my plan, as by now, I was getting cold and it was a bit early to set up camp by the toilets as they were still open.

Still had a fab time riding trails I had never been on before.

Thanks to Stuart, Dee and fellow Boners for a brilliant weekend as ever.

Si
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

I also travel from Malvern on Saturday morning :grin:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

MarkW wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 pm I also travel from Malvern on Saturday morning :grin:

:-bd