Hebridean way - when?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Hebridean way - when?

Post by ootini »

Hi all.

Taking into account the weather and the flying bitey bastards, when is best to ride the Hebridean Way ?

Thanks
fatbikephil

Re: Hebridean way - when?

Post by fatbikephil »

Hard to say really. I've twice been in the depths of midgy season and not had any issues as its been breezy. Still weather is pretty rare out there so I'd not fret too much about it. That said April to early May would guarantee you to be midge free. I was once nearly blown of the Outer Hebrides in April however.....

Weather wise is a total lottery as gale force winds and rain happen at any time of the year out there. Don't let it put you off as if you hit lucky, its fab!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I was there biking for a couple of weeks in late July and had no real issues with midges as it was always breezy. I also rode southbound against the prevailing wind and was regularly hit by showers that passed in 10 minutes or so. Cyclists going the other way looked like they'd been sitting under the same cloud for ages as it drifted along with them. If they are open, staying in the Gatliff Trust Hostels is great.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As above, it's normally windy (or sunny) enough for the midge not to be a problem.

In June/July the days never end so if you like sleeping in the dark, take an eye mask. However, that's the best time for the machair plants.

Advice is normally to head North to take account of the prevailing winds, but prevailing doesn't mean guaranteed 😉

Main thing is to book ahead, especially if you want accommodation. The ferry situation has been awful the past couple of years so, even as a foot/bicycle passenger, don't think you'll just be able to rack and get on.

My main advice would be to take your time. Too many folk blast through (the recent Joe Barnes video being an example)
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

We tried to book a ferry at the end of summer and it was completely sold out for weeks, I was told they were running on a reduced service as one of the main ships was out of action, something to do with government funding being pulled I think, understandably they were giving priority to residents and cargo deliveries.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:43 pm
My main advice would be to take your time. Too many folk blast through
This. With a tail wind it'd be easy enough to do it in 3 days but I found two weeks barely enough and am planning on returning. Lots of the side roads are out and back but well worth exploring.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:58 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:43 pm
My main advice would be to take your time. Too many folk blast through
This. With a tail wind it'd be easy enough to do it in 3 days but I found two weeks barely enough and am planning on returning. Lots of the side roads are out and back but well worth exploring.
We're over frequently. In-laws on Lewis and our usual Summer holidays in Uist.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Was out last year at may time riding it and hopefully heading back later this year maybe August or September. Never had any issues with midges.

Only advice I can offer is make sure you pitch your tent with wind direction on your mind.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I did it second week September in ‘17 which coincided with the tail end of the US hurricane season...

On the plus side I got an early start as after an hour spent holding the pole up on the Lunar solo at 4am I gave up and started to pack up so was on the road by 5 (and had no problem catching the first ferry...)

The weather was pretty crap so I just kept cycling until I hit the bunkhouse on North Uist... so much for taking it easy...

The next day was all right but I hit rain going over the hill to Tarbert...

Decided to make the push to the Butt on the third day as forecast was for the wind to change direction the next day.

Also, no midges.

Based on above I’d avoid second week in sept....
Give the dirt a little room.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

This is on my list, not this year but maybe next. I spent about 3 summer holidays there when I was a teen, having relatives living there on Benbecula. Just an amazing place and memories of the place have stayed with me.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks for all the advice!
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Really would like to do this, and to give it the right amount of time...keep us posted of your trip!