Which weather service?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Which weather service?

Post by woodsmith »

I've been using yr.no , the norwegian weather service for years as it always seemed fairly reliable, unfortunateley for quite a while its been well off the mark. Had a nosey round at some others but they seem more interested in 20 different ways to make pumkin spiced some crap or other than actually making a legible stab at what the weather might be.
So, what forcasting service is everyone else using?
PaulE

Re: Which weather service?

Post by PaulE »

Mwis for mountainous areas, BBC for optimism or met office for pessimism at home
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

All of them. If they all agree then go with that. If they don’t, pick the one you like the look of.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

+1 for MWIS. XC weather is handy as well, you can change some of the metrics to suit your requirements.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Metcheck.com
Needs a little bit of user interpretation but I find it to be accurate.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bear in mind a lot of the on line sites and Apps are only using the global model, Metcheck included. Met Office do there own processing of the global model, Beeb buy their weather data from meteo who have their own model. Interesting note, weather forecasting modelling companies use warehouses full of super computers which consume vast amounts of electricity. Having done a fair bit of training about forecasting models and having actually used them (plus real time data) to predict when to grit, I've come to the conclusion that they are all pretty vague beyond 6 hours. Try a few, look out of the window, hope for the best, prepare for the worst is my philosophy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ventusky.

I like it as allows you to see the results of various weather models (so you can choose the most optimistic!)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I tend to take an average from Met Office, Metcheck and the BBC before heading out to the Peak. It's usually just after I arrive there that I remember that Sheffield is usually much milder as it sits sheltered in a little geographical basin.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

I've personally found BBC and the MetOffice to have been really unreliable recently (year or so). There is an app on Android called windy that is quite good... Its more involved than just looking at a forecast, but allows you to select which of the major models you want to see. That's handy to see where there is significant disagreement.

As others have said though, MWIS without a doubt, if you are in their forecast area
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a weather app but don't know its name, just takes a list of towns/cities and gives the weather there. For rain for the immediate future I use raintoday.co.uk which is just the rain radar overlain on a map of the British Isles.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

+1 for BBC and (surprisingly) the Met Office for being not too accurate. Been caught out by them both a few times over the last year (at work, not up a mountain thankfully)
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:32 pm +1 for BBC and (surprisingly) the Met Office for being not too accurate. Been caught out by them both a few times over the last year (at work, not up a mountain thankfully)
I think this is because they try and give pretty specific forecasts for individual locations. Eg ‘it will rain at xx o’clock at xx place. I tend to prefer forecasts that give probabilities- that way I can be clothed and equipped in a generally appropriate fashion and leave the rest to fate.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I used to use a German octopus but he snuffed it.

In all seriousness I wish we could crowdsource this using local amateur forecasters who interpret the models along with their observations. Had this been done? Would be an ace community to create.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I dropped several hints for Santa to bring me a weather station but nothing turned up, I seem to remember there was one available where you could join such a community.
This one Links to weather underground .(sorry it's in Spanish) https://www.amazon.es/sainlogic-FT0300- ... 6592573426
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:54 pm
In all seriousness I wish we could crowdsource this using local amateur forecasters who interpret the models along with their observations. Had this been done? Would be an ace community to create.
Googling amateur weather observers came up with this :lol: https://amateurweatherobservers.com/

I rather like " the end" sweater. Seems to sum up the current mood.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:54 pm In all seriousness I wish we could crowdsource this using local amateur forecasters who interpret the models along with their observations. Had this been done? Would be an ace community to create.
That would be really cool! In the kayaking community, there are a few places that mix forecasts, live data and observations to predict river levels. Having something more generally would be great. And maybe a "Welsh bog status" predictor!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I have used the Windy app. What ever happening. I think wind is our one of our bigger concern, along with precipitation... https://windyapp.onelink.me/VcDy/ff1b909c
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
samwise

Post by samwise »

+1 for windy and MWIS when covered.

This time of year I find the temperature to dress for before leaving the house the most useful. Does anyone have any recommendations for indoor/outdoor temp sensor?