Ordering from the EU - thoughts?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

Re: Ordering from the EU - thoughts?

Post by lune ranger »

Rob S wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:42 pm.

I may be wrong on this, but isn't all these extra charges and tax more to do with the EU punishing us than brexit itself?
Mean old EU punishing poor old Britain for being autonomous.
Are you sure you’re not quoting the Daily Mail rather than question time?
The tax you are paying to import goods to the UK is British Tax imposed by the British government.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Stepping back from the trenches for a moment...

If you look at the links I posted earlier you'll see that the equivalent cut-off point within the EU for where the duty is paid is €150. That makes the £136 that the UK's scheme uses a bit more understandable as the Euro-Pound exchange rate tends to hover around the €1.10 to £1.00 mark. Essentially the UK scheme is the UK's implementation of the EU one. That makes sense since the discussions about this will have started long before the brexit vote even took place so the UK will have been part of them and provided input and direction. It would have looked exactly the same had we remained in the EU. Open up the web portals for both the EU and UK OSS and they are all but identical.

The difference for UK consumers is that the changes now apply to our largest trading partner as well as the rest of the world.

If you think multi-national governmental organisations are slow then consider that High Definition TV was invented by NHK, the Japanese equivalent of the BBC, some forty years before it began to be rolled out to consumers. (I used to work on digital TV decoders hence...) Technology and the upgrading of the broadcasting infrastructure took that long to catch up.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

Thanks for the explanations of the charges I'd incur.

I think I'll just hold on for stock of the Exped mat I want in the UK at some point.

Cheers
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

And another thing - anecdotal - from the gruniad problem help page.

Somebody ordered something from somewhere in Europe and when it was delivered
the courier asked for duty plus vat plus collection fee as you would expect.
However the person decided that it was too much so declined to accept the item
and told the courier to take it away.
Apparently the courier returned later and left the item with photographic evidence of delivery and
now the purchaser has a debt collection agency pursuing them for payment.
I didn't read the outcome as it sounded like the purchaser might possibly be in violation of Rule 1.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Mariner wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:21 am And another thing - anecdotal - from the gruniad problem help page.

Somebody ordered something from somewhere in Europe and when it was delivered
the courier asked for duty plus vat plus collection fee as you would expect.
However the person decided that it was too much so declined to accept the item
and told the courier to take it away.
Apparently the courier returned later and left the item with photographic evidence of delivery and
now the purchaser has a debt collection agency pursuing them for payment.
I didn't read the outcome as it sounded like the purchaser might possibly be in violation of Rule 1.
Sounds like a Rule 1 thing as you say by buyer.

Reject delivery if its battered and broken but not if you just cant work out the (rough) costs and so suddenly decide it's too much money 🙄
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Surley the courier leaving it,knowing its been rejected, and then claiming that is delivered is a serious rule 1 violation.

Also initially a lot of folk did notrelaise there would be fees- even a year in we dont really know what the fees would be so its not surprising folk were initially confused /unaware of Brexit related charges that would apply =-.
Some were getting chrged about 50% of the order price nd fees in the hundreds
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ort-duties

I cannot be the only one who has just not bought anything from abroad since Brexit, due to this lack of certainity over fees/costs
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

£32 I have to give parcel farce for my mat.
Mat was £162 Inc postage so works out I'm still up as I'm seeing them for around £215 in the UK, just not as much saving as I'd hoped.

Since Brexit, this is the first time I've been charged for stuff from the EU.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Also, we're still in the "migration" process. Things will change again as from Saturday.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

For the sake of balance, I bought an OnOne Free Ranger while back in the UK last week. It was already discounted by £200 and as my login includes my address in Spain, they automatically took off a further £250 in vat. I asked to collect it as I was in Sheffield so they even knocked off £36 delivery so a previously £1,600 bike was mine for £1,150. You don't see that written on the side of busses!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not even Spanish buses?
May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:15 pm For the sake of balance, I bought an OnOne Free Ranger while back in the UK last week. It was already discounted by £200 and as my login includes my address in Spain, they automatically took off a further £250 in vat. I asked to collect it as I was in Sheffield so they even knocked off £36 delivery so a previously £1,600 bike was mine for £1,150. You don't see that written on the side of busses!
Deal of the Century!!! That is a lot of bike for just £1150. Nice.
I'm just going outside ...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Couldn't find the tongue in cheek emojee as I'm very much anti brexit. The whole clusterfuck has turned the UK in general and Boris's bunch of halfwits in particular into a laughing stock in the rest of Europe. On a personal note, it has cost us thousands due to the continuing slide in the value of Sterling as our pensions are paid in £.
On the bike front, the French customs couldn't have given a toss when we came through the tunnel on Sunday night, we made no attempt to hide it and the car was even x rayed before boarding the train. We really dodged a bullet coming back when we did, it's been all over the news today that the French have stopped Brits returning to their homes by transiting through France, people were turned back on Tuesday.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:46 pm We really dodged a bullet coming back when we did, it's been all over the news today that the French have stopped Brits returning to their homes by transiting through France, people were turned back on Tuesday.
Incredible, isn't it? Nothing to do with public health. Everything to do with politics. Macron needs to take a long walk off a short Pierre.

For the record, I campaigned to stay in the EU but now the rapacity of the tiny majority has been unleashed, I guess we need to make the most of it.
I'm just going outside ...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Had to look up Rapacity, great word. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Taylor wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:02 pm Had to look up Rapacity, great word. :-bd
Isn't it that huge multi-floored 'rhythm and poetry' artistic genre club in the middle of Manchester? I believe a gentleman named Mr Russell Billions regularly appeared there. It isn't my cup of tea at all - I prefer music as you know, rather than deliberate misspelling and the unnecessary removal of the letter T from the alphabet - so I must admit that I'm not completely sure about myself on this one.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Not bike parts, but I bought daughter #1 some boots for Christmas from Italy - £145 and no extra charges.
Could the fact it was delivered by DHL international explain it?
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:59 pm
ColinC wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:20 pm Perhaps it goes without saying, but any tubes on here who voted for Brexshit, presume your realise the stupidity of your actions now ...
Just no need 🙄

Actually there is a need. This thread was entirely about the consequences of Brexshit - my reply wasn't in any way party political, and was entirely related to the thread - my rights: to travel, to work, to purchase, and to seek representation, have entirely been eroded by the subject of the discussion, and the responses to the thread just illustrate this. How can it not be reasonable to discuss?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just so there's no misunderstandings ......

May the bridges you burn light your way
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

^^^Is that the first time this year that is just ending?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mariner wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:27 pm ^^^Is that the first time this year that is just ending?
Electric cars thread way back in August :wink:
Alastair's packraft sale in June
Sean back in April but that was a panda biscuit
Magpies in April
Monster or Gravel WKR in February
and Hate To Bring It Up Again really kicked off only four days into the year!

Close shaves with panda just peeping out of her nest:

Giving up booze in July
Women and bothies in March
Joe's shop in March

Seven then including this one and excluding Sean's biscuit - about average for a year I wonder?

Oh and there's still a whole day to go yet of course :grin:

Sorry to give you traumatic flashbacks :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

By Christ Reg, do you keep a diary of panda appearances or are you memorising them?
Either way, bravo that man!
Just to on the safe side could we have someone knowledgeable, Scotroutes for instance , to confirm this for us :-bd
Last edited by lune ranger on Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ColinC wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:32 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:59 pm
ColinC wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:20 pm Perhaps it goes without saying, but any tubes on here who voted for Brexshit, presume your realise the stupidity of your actions now ...
Just no need 🙄

Actually there is a need. This thread was entirely about the consequences of Brexshit - my reply wasn't in any way party political, and was entirely related to the thread - my rights: to travel, to work, to purchase, and to seek representation, have entirely been eroded by the subject of the discussion, and the responses to the thread just illustrate this. How can it not be reasonable to discuss?
You see discussion, conveniently to my mind, way after your post. Whereas your post, agan to my mind, was just an insult.

If there's one thing needs taking out of the world in general it's insults.

Again, IMO.

Peace and love to all 😎
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Apparently the courier returned later and left the item with photographic evidence of delivery
This is something that has been puzzling me for a while.
It's not "evidence of delivery", but it is "evidence that couriers are so overworked that they can't even wait for the homeowner to answer the door (even if they are at home) so the parcel is left where it can easily be stolen"
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

belugabob wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:45 am
Apparently the courier returned later and left the item with photographic evidence of delivery
It's not "evidence of delivery", but it is "evidence that couriers are so overworked that they can't even wait for the homeowner to answer the door (even if they are at home) so the parcel is left where it can easily be stolen"
Not their problem any more especially if you have a 'safe place' set up with the courier.
I have been round this loop myself only to find that analysis of the 'photographic record of delivery' was next doors recycling box. :???:

Incidentally I received a second hand book from America yesterday. All paid up in advance with all correct information displayed on label so nothing to pay.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Mariner wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:50 am
belugabob wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:45 am
Not their problem any more especially if you have a 'safe place' set up with the courier.
I have been round this loop myself only to find that analysis of the 'photographic record of delivery' was next doors recycling box. :???:

Incidentally I received a second hand book from America yesterday. All paid up in advance with all correct information displayed on label so nothing to pay.
But it is their problem, as they haven't fulfilled their contract until it has been fully delivered - do you think that it would be possible to take a photo of some cash, on the doorstep of the company that you owe it to, then claim that you've paid your bill?