Inner Tubes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

Inner Tubes

Post by MuddyPete »

I've just binned an inner tube with 18 patches, which is something of a record for me :-bd . Anyone have one with more, or managed to "join the dots" around the entire tube?

Does anyone else still use tubes or am I just stuck, hopelessly, in a bygone era (along with my 26" wheels)? :roll:
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Re: Inner Tubes

Post by RIP »

Plainly, Pete, you already knew that this thread would end up with precisely two posts on it. Yours and mine :smile: .

18? I'm pretty sure I was into double figures on Rude Place Names, but no, I cede to your rubbery magnificence. Well played Sir! :-bd

If I'm ever in urgent need of a rubber leakage (which always occur at the most embarrassing moments obviously) preventive in the future I'll know where to, er, come.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Still on tubes, but I've not reached 18 patches before, never mind joining the dots :lol:

Not sure my record, maybe a measly 8?

I did have a mild panic the other day riding down a lane where I suddenly saw the gorse hedge had been recently flailed, so I had a very wary few hundred metres with thoughts of maybe I should try tubeless.

Now living back in the land of flailed hawthorn and gorse I may have to bite the bullet :roll:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Moder-dye wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:53 pm I did have a mild panic the other day riding down a lane where I suddenly saw the gorse hedge had been recently flailed, so I had a very wary few hundred metres with thoughts of maybe I should try tubeless.

Now living back in the land of flailed hawthorn and gorse I may have to bite the bullet :roll:
I ran out of patches one day after riding about a couple of miles of bridal path that just had the hawthorn cut. Six flats IIRC. I even got a flat pushing the bike the last few yards. That was it for me and tubes, though the hassles I've had from time to time with tubeless has me longing for a half-way house of some sort.

Pete: 18 patches is brilliant. Way to save the planet and money at the same time. Chapeau chap.
I'm just going outside ...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Still tubes on the road tyres. I might change that when they need replacing.

FWIW I'm pretty sure I've not had 18 punctures in all the years I've been riding bikes. And I do mean in total.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Cheers gents :grin: .
I've always aspired to some sort of magnificence, so...
RIP wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:38 pm ...rubbery magnificence...
...sounds like the very best kind :lol: .
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

MuddyPete wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:19 pm I've just binned an inner tube with 18 patches, which is something of a record for me :-bd . Anyone have one with more, or managed to "join the dots" around the entire tube?

Does anyone else still use tubes or am I just stuck, hopelessly, in a bygone era (along with my 26" wheels)? :roll:
I have just passed on my 26 inner tubes to a bike recycle charity. You can have first dibs on little usedmtb tyres before i pass them on aswell, Conti summat speed or race Kings
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Thanks for the offer LB, but I've treated the bike to a new tube and normal service has resumed :d .
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Arhhhh (g) I remember tubes, bloody horrible things. I think it’s just you and Reg left.
I think my record was 14 punctures on one ride just after they cut the hedges on the cut.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I usually rip the valve out long before I run out of of space to put patches on... Still with tubes on the 700 by 40 or less as tubeless only works on such sizes at less than 45psi and I tend to run them at 55 - 65psi due to needing to go really really fast :-bd Funnily enough I've been plagued with thorn punctures recently, all on my otherwise fab Conti speed rides :roll:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I ran out of patches one day after riding about a couple of miles of bridal path
That confetti can be bloody sharp :roll:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:33 pm
I ran out of patches one day after riding about a couple of miles of bridal path
:roll: That's one of my regular typos. I can get pretty messy with they're their there too.
I'm just going outside ...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:35 am
pistonbroke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:33 pm
:roll: That's one of my regular typos. I can get pretty messy with they're their there too.
Its not just me then :grin:
So the bridleways go anywhere, but round here they lead to dead ends or footpaths. :roll:
The Bridal paths end up at the registars, eventually. :-bd If you also suggest thats a dead end you'll also discover the proverbial deep hole..... :grin:
Just keep on digging... :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Diesel73

Post by Diesel73 »

I not ran tubes for over 10 years thus saving myself a lot of dosh, plus not having to carry spares save a lot of dead weight. Also I can run lower psi to give a smother ride.
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

That’s some impressive patching.

Think most I have ever had was around 10 then it normally get a cut up and used as a new chainstay protector.

Finding it harder to get my 26inch tubes and tyres which is another reason to patch them.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Diesel73 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:53 pm I not ran tubes for over 10 years thus saving myself a lot of dosh, plus not having to carry spares save a lot of dead weight. Also I can run lower psi to give a smother ride.
I was wandering how long it would take 'till the tubeless party (one myself) joins in with the obvious (it's better etc.).
I'm writing that because I was very close to doing just that myself :wink:

But it to stick with the topic;
My record is 13 plugs in one tyre (in about 4 months).

I can't blame the tyre though. My bad in riding mistakes, mostly when trying to go fast (bad line choices, braking in thr wrong places etc.). Good thing is, it usually just takes me a minute or two to put a plug in and pump it up.