Christmas!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Re: Christmas!

Post by Shewie »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:12 am
all the best for 2922
I know the last 2 years weren't great but I'm hoping it might get better before then :wink:
:grin:

That'll teach me not to post before coffee
ton

Post by ton »

i usually enjoy christmas, but so far this years edition has been horrible.
had a tooth out on wednesday,it has gone wrong, been on tramadol since then.
and worse than anything, we had to take our 14 year old labrador to the vets last night.she has been poorly for a week.
she had kidney failure, so the vet advised us that the best for her was to put her to sleep. which she then did. we are just hearbroken to be honest.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Another Christmas fan here, particularly since my son decided to embrace the fabulousness of it a few years ago and spends all of December being relentlessly up-beat (it's also his birthday month :YMPARTY: ) :-bd .

It's been great to observe the explosion of twinkly lights around the town, as households vie for superiority in the Christmas lights arms-race :lol: . Some tasteful; others outlandish :shock: . All we need now is snow :d .

Have a lovely holiday everyone, however you spend it. :grin:
May you always have tail wind.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry to hear that Tony. I think that's perhaps one of the shittiest things you could have had happen.
May the bridges you burn light your way
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Oh jeez Ton that’s heartbreaking :sad:
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Sorry to hear that Ton.
The loss of a family companion is tough.
:|
Insanity over vanity
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

:(
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sorry to hear about your loss Tony, we lost our beloved Jasper, golden lab, just about 2 years ago. Thought we'd never replace him but tbh I really missed the morning walks and chats we had around the local olive groves. 12 months later we accidentally acquired Charlie the Border Collie so the early morning constitutionals are back on albeit at a faster pace.
This morning I decided to take the new gravel bike out to get it looking used so it wouldn't attract the attention it of customs when we take it back home tomorrow. We're staying about 400yds from Bolehills trails and I managed to fall off on greasy off camber roots just by some dog walkers, had a laugh telling them that 62 was a bit old to be taking my new bike out on Christmas morning. :lol:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Sorry to hear that Tony.

I don't think our Archie has long left too, he's made it through this Christmas but not sure how long into new year we will have him for.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

All I can say is that I bet both dogs were loved and had fantastic lives. Take heart in that.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:27 pm All I can say is that I bet both dogs were loved and had fantastic lives. Take heart in that.
It's really hard losing a dog that has become a valued member of the family. I retired my last working dog home and she and my wife formed a really strong bond. My wife suffers from Crohn's disease which has been disruptive enough to mean that she had to give up work (which she really used to enjoy) a few years ago. Since then she's struggled to have any routine in her life which has led to depression and other complications. Having Dora (the dog) put that routine back in her life and her health improved drastically as a result. Unfortunately poor Dora didn't live too long after she came home (we lost her aged eight and a half) and Val was devastated. I try to say to Val that she should treasure the memories of the great times that they had together rather than dwell on the loss but it is very difficult.
ton

Post by ton »

thanks for the kind words everyone.
we are both a bit devastated really. spent most of the day crying. just miss her so much.
i know to some people it is just a dog. but when it is a fantastic loving trusting companion, the loss is horrendous.

thanks again.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Well what an interesting thread this has turned out so be... First of all, so sorry Ton, that is so sad anyway, but worse for the timing of it ...
So me, I do do the religious side of Christmas, also Roman Catholic these days, and tbh it's the only thing that gives it any meaning, for me anyway. I tried a few years without it, when I first got together with Mr Z, so I wouldn't come over as a bible bashing nutjob, but tbh I found it ballcrushingly (figuratively speaking you understand) awful...
Yes, midnight mass is where it's all at for me, and I love walking about town in the middle of the night when it's all quiet apart from a few drunken revellers wobbling their way home...This year was delightfully bonkers, as after a solemn and reverent "silent night" to finish, the doors were flung open and in bounced a fully Santa suited guy dancing up and down the aisle to loud Bollywood music (our priest is Indian) handing out chocolates!!
We had a good day yesterday, I too have over the years been guilty of turning into a bit of a Christmazilla, cleaning and trying (mostly unsuccessfully, as my family are thankfully extremely stubborn) to impose my ideas of a "perfect" Christmas on them...I have now learned to be more laid back and just let everyone do whatever they want ...
This year I felt like trying a few international touches, not quite the Polish twelve dishes, but inspired by that idea, and I did have a go at making barszcz with urszka, and am quite proud of my efforts. We started the day with apparently a Russian tradition of flicking a spoonful of porridge onto the ceiling, and if it sticks that means good fortune for the new year ( it did :-bd ). I also made Ukrainian kutia, not massively convinced, and I have bucketfuls of the stuff left.... And Finnish Lanttulaatikko, which for some strange reason I really really liked...

Anyway, back to the religious stuff, I don't expect any of you to listen to this let alone like it, but I thought I'd share it anyway, I always like to read this over Christmas, it is a rather dark antidote, bit like a strong black coffee after overindulging on too much rich and sweet Christmas food ...some of it also resonates I think with some of the more negative feelings a few of you have described here... It's not exactly the most engaging recording, but it's the only one I could find...will just leave it there....https://youtu.be/F8e-x8fekr0
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Whilst the only religious leanings I've ever had were / are perhaps less than orthodox, I can always appreciate and understand those who do hold them. I think that's especially true for those with a Christian faith at this time of year ... gives the entire thing some meaning and purpose I think.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's a bugger Tony :sad: We had ours put to sleep thirteen years ago and I still miss him. They give unconditional love and it feels such a betrayal when you choose to end their life but really you'd be keeping them alive for your sake not theirs.

We ended up getting a couple of cats - one of whom last night threw up in the nest of cables behind the TV :o A lovely job to deal with this morning.

Christmas? Whilst I'm in no way religious I do despair at the increased duration of "the festive season" (i.e. how soon can we pester everyone with adverts for stuff they don't need or even want), the onslaught begins ever earlier each year. We put the decorations up on the 22nd, felt soon enough.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

ton wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:16 pm i usually enjoy christmas, but so far this years edition has been horrible.
had a tooth out on wednesday,it has gone wrong, been on tramadol since then.
and worse than anything, we had to take our 14 year old labrador to the vets last night.she has been poorly for a week.
she had kidney failure, so the vet advised us that the best for her was to put her to sleep. which she then did. we are just hearbroken to be honest.
Sorry for your loss, Ton.
Some rather unfortunate timing on my part there :oops: . Whilst writing my post I was distracted by present-opening, then went off to play with my toys and have Christmas dinner without seeing you'd nipped in with your contribution.
I hope today is better than yesterday and tomorrow is better than today :-) .
May you always have tail wind.