Today's Run

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: Today's Run

Post by GregMay »

Friday - easy 10km to and from Stoodley Pike after the end of term. Managed to hold off on drinking any beer so that I could get a run in!

Saturday - Late running to the start of a race. Ran poorly at the race. Ran/jogged home. Guessing the impact of beer/teaching/Y11 and 13 pressure hit me today. Normal really. Still managed a decent 26km in total.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Considering I live so close to numerous beaches, I've never ran along any of them. Dog had to have a trim nearby, so I wasted time running along Norfolk coastline near Bacton.

Made a new friend...kids said to bring it home
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I grew up on the coast, spent most of my youth running/riding/climbing along costal paths, they're great!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Love the seal picture :grin:

I've just been ticking along with my usual runs, took it easier the last couple of weeks to recover a bit.

Tuesday next week is my last day at work so planning to go for a bit of a longer run on the coastal path here on Wednesday. Current forecast is dry and not much wind. Out west when it's blowing hard (regularly over 60mph and can reach 100mph at the Needles) it's tough, fun, but best if you're not going to be running into it for hours.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Monday - 4 miles after work, seemed strange to be stopping just as I was getting going, didn't even get up to a sweat. Deliberate as I was saving my energy.

Today - parked up on Shanklin seafront and headed off east, keep the sea on the right and keep going. I had half an idea to run the whole costal path but as son as I picked up my rucksack I knew that would be a big ask. Going self supported with enough food for a whole lap of the Island plus waterproofs, head torch, a lightweight insulated smock and a few odds and ends meant a pack weight of over 6 lbs.

Pressed on anyway and went well for the first 25 miles, started to get hard after that. Luckily Jane messaged to say I was an idiot and I'll end up broken for Christmas and she'd come and get me. Managed to do 35 miles before my lift arrived so my longest ever run. Could I have toughed it out and made it round? Maybe, but there would have been s lot of walking towards the end and it would have become very unpleasant, I still had 35 miles to go.

35 miles 2800 feet 6 hours
Verena

Post by Verena »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:04 pm planning to go for a bit of a longer run on the coastal path here on Wednesday.
Understatement of the year :lol:

You're a machine!
slarge

Post by slarge »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:33 pm Monday - 4 miles after work, seemed strange to be stopping just as I was getting going, didn't even get up to a sweat. Deliberate as I was saving my energy.

Today - parked up on Shanklin seafront and headed off east, keep the sea on the right and keep going. I had half an idea to run the whole costal path but as son as I picked up my rucksack I knew that would be a big ask. Going self supported with enough food for a whole lap of the Island plus waterproofs, head torch, a lightweight insulated smock and a few odds and ends meant a pack weight of over 6 lbs.

Pressed on anyway and went well for the first 25 miles, started to get hard after that. Luckily Jane messaged to say I was an idiot and I'll end up broken for Christmas and she'd come and get me. Managed to do 35 miles before my lift arrived so my longest ever run. Could I have toughed it out and made it round? Maybe, but there would have been s lot of walking towards the end and it would have become very unpleasant, I still had 35 miles to go.

35 miles 2800 feet 6 hours
Nice one Sean. I like the frankness of Jane - I have to say that a 70 mile run just before Christmas is probably going to lay you quite low over Christmas, but I admire you for having a go! :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good run Sean, well done :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Been a bit of a sub standard week. Probable hernia confirmed on Monday, as well as some abnormal bloodwork. Appears getting old is finally happening. So I've mostly spent this week being pi££sed off, playing with a 4 year old and drinking beer. Could be worse.

Anyway, went climbing on Tuesday and have been sore since. This evening decided f'it, I'm going running - don't care how poor the weather is, how much it might hurt, if I can walk I can jog, if I can jog I can run.

6km, 40mins, 220m of up, lots of slop.

Off to run with some fast juniors tomorrow.... so that should be fun. :???:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

GregMay wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:58 pm Off to run with some fast juniors tomorrow.... so that should be fun. :???:
Is there such a thing as a slow junior :wink:

Getting old sucks, but as you said, could be worse. Hopefully they'll have you fixed and back to full working order shortly.

My legs are a bit achey today but only my thighs and no pains in the shins or achillies so I'm pleased with that as quite a bit of the section of costal path I ran is paved or on back roads. The next 35 miles would have been nearly all off road and also has over 4000 ft of ascent. Spent this afternoon watching YouTube videos of 100 mile races, the internet is a dangerous place to be :roll:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

8km with some junior fell runners (one ex-junior now uber senior) with my mate Alan. Was a good 50mins with 350m of vertical. Brew at the end followed by a confirmation of hernia appointment with surgeon in 6 days. Not to shabby!

Now, beer, cooking, run in the morning.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Snuck an hour in yesterday, through the mud, woods and fog on my own. About 11km and not an awful lot of climbing (for Sheffield) but nice to just get out. Pretty much stuck in the house this week, as my daughter has tested positive, and my son has chemo next Wednesday, but a quick run was enough to clear the head nicely!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good to be out though?
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Absolutely! Was hoping to get out today too, but laziness/family dinner/crappy weather stopped that plan.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yesterday was a horrible 16km in the snow/rain/cloud that was in effect like running at the triple point of water. But, it was good to be out. Only 2 hours, but two hours and 650m of climbing I'd have not otherwise done.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

After 6 days off I thought I should get back out. Two were legitimate recovery, next 2 were Christmas and Boxing Day but the 2 after that were just being lazy :lol:

Only a local 7 miles, went to the top of the downs so managed 800 feet of climbing. Muddy and slippy, descending on wet chalk required some extra care.

Achey shins which is weird as they didn't hurt after the long run. Think I need to work on those, might be the extra speed when I don't have a heavy pack on. Only really notice it on the road/paved sections. Might be poor form :???:

Good to actually move about after 6 days of resting, the last 4 of which were mainly eating and drinking :grin:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Last run of the year, 8km, very muddy on local trails for very local people. No idea why but my brain was having none of sleep last night and it was 0330 before I got any. I was not a good person to be around until about 1300, wife noticed this and took daughter out to play with her friend - amazing what 20 years together will do... decided to GTFU and go for a run, it was 100% worth it.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

First of the year, local ish score event in Lancaster. 60 mins, 30 controls.

Aim was to clear the course which I did in 58 mins, ran 10.4km for 10th place overall, 2nd V40 - quite happy with that considering the amount of gin I drank last night!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I got out today as well. Jane went to see her mum so I got a lift with her and ran home. Last night's ale (and the previous day's) was noticeable but it is the holidays.

Water over my shoes across Brading marsh but it's been deeper before. Most notable was the temperature, 14 degrees, shorts and tee shirt on Jan 1st :???:

9.4 miles 1130 ft 1 hr 31 mins
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Agree Sean, the temperature is bonkers. It was 14 degrees, in Lancs. FFS.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Got out yesterday and did 20k, which I was chuffed about and a nice way to start the new year. Decided to actually train this time for Elan Valley at start of March. Slow but that's ok, it's a start, and I hadn't got much sleep not to mention an extra pound or two I'm carrying...
Feeling like a very very old woman today, and was too tired to head out for a BAM last night ...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Ran with my mate Alan, needed a different view so we drove for an hour to the edge of the Peak District in order to take in some areas we'd not been to in years. A real run of two halves with the first part on the Pennine Way on worn in tracks and the second on open moorland with ample bog hopping/sinking shenanigans.

15km, 600m vert., 2hrs 15mins at party-ish pace.

Really good day to get out away from the crowds (saw <10 people) and run off some of the post excess fat we've both gained. Also, for me, signals the start of "real" running again after three weeks of mental and physical down time.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Back to work today so back to the usual Monday run, but on a Tuesday due to the bank holiday. Mainly uneventful expect for;

It was actually a bit colder, 5 degrees, so 10 degrees less than this time last week.

Jane phoned me, the caller shows on my watch. She never calls when I'm out running (or riding) so must be important so I phone her back. She wanted to know if yesterday when I said I'd put her door key back in the wicker basket whether it was the key to the side door (which we never use but opened as it was the shortest route for the Christmas tree) or the front door. It was actually both keys but either way she was locked out. Of course I was at the furthest point from the car. Luckily she took it well and just went off for a coffee whilst I finished the run, not much else she could do :lol:

9.5 miles, 1070 feet, 1 hr 30 mins
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Wednesday, ran to work, seemed harder than I remember from last year but at least it was colder, quite a hard frost at home which always makes running seem like the best option as I don't have to de-ice the car, small rewards. 7.4 miles 65 minutes - which is at the slow end of my average time for this route.

Ran home, seemed even harder than the run in, on two occasions I found myself involuntarily walking on a hill I'd usually run and had to remind myself to start running again. I can't decide if it's just the excess of the holidays (and the beer advent calendar which meant I drank every day in December) or I'm not recovered from my run on the coastal path which was only 2 weeks ago. If I'd entered a 35 mile coastal path ultra I'd expect to need at least few weeks to get over it but as I 'just went for a long run on the coastal path' and not an event I sort of expect to be back normal in no time? 8.6 miles 1 hr 29 min 800 feet.

Today, ran to work, decided I'd go on a diversion at the end to run past a postbox, motivation to get out of the door. This did require turning off my normal route and climbing 240 feet in under a mile to go over Mount Joy on the way. Rewarded with this at the top

Bit tricky to photograph but it's deer on the top of the hill. This is the postbox I wanted to go by, saw it lats year when driving, hoping on the way that they'd not changed it yet.

This is the box that had Cariosbrooke Castle on it in the summer. On the way back to town I passed a bonus box

These diversions added nearly 2 miles to the commute so the total was 9.2 miles 1 hr 25 mins 630 feet
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Had a nice (terrain not weather) yesterday, a quick 10km or so to blow the cobwebs out. Ran up to meet some of the Spine racers but was a bit too early!

Today, woke up thinking I had a bit of a hangover, we’d had some gin last night. Went for a short run to clear my head and ended up walking. Something was up. Did an LFT …. Oh right, that’s be it so.

2 years in schools, face to face most days (I was in teaching a lot of keyworker kids) and finally it’s happened. Ahh well. Time to stay at home and set cover work.

Feel fine, just cold and aches. Vaccines work it appears.