Waterproof riding trousers?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Waterproof riding trousers?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My mum wants to buy my nephew some waterproof trousers for Christmas. They'll mainly be used to ride in and she has no specific budget. My experience starts and stops with Altura Night Vision, so I'm open to suggestions, ta :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jam bo

Re: Waterproof riding trousers?

Post by jam bo »

7mesh thunderpants!

Just focus on the name not the price.
RIP

Post by RIP »

My Berghaus Paclites have never let me down ("tested by The Rain Man") but dunno if applicable to this situ? Guess they're classed as overtrousers so don't count. No reason not to wear them on their own though.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Alpkit lightweight ones- commuting
Endura stealth- MTB
Paramo Velez trousers- bikepacking
They are what I use
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Montane Minimus Pertex Shield, I think they are called. They're very good. Truly waterproof and have zips all the way down the thigh for venting, plus zips and velcro adjusters at the bottom so you can get them on and off without removing boots. Also quite light at about 180g for the XXL I need and pack down small. They don't get a lot of use other than walking but when I have had them on a bike they've been great. ABout £90 if I remember
I'm just going outside ...
ton

Post by ton »

Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

I second Berghaus Paclite for bikepacking. Nice how you can fully unzip them, and just keep buttons done up. But you do need a bit of elastic to stop the ankles flapping into the chainwheel. If you want something similar and cheaper, Berghaus Deluge are similar and half the price, twice the weight. Never ridden in them, but use a lot for walking and good venting.

Endura MT500s seem to hold up well to general MTBing, but are a bit sweaty after a while as there is no venting
Lazarus wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:46 pm Paramo Velez trousers- bikepacking
Aren't Velez trousers horrendously hot? (I'm a Paramo fan, so know their stuff well, but have never considered trying their trousers for biking!)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Chrisps wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:27 pm But you do need a bit of elastic to stop the ankles flapping into the chainwheel.
I sliced a pair like that yonks ago but maybe that was before I sussed there's two studs at the bottom not just one. Not had a problem since I've been making sure I use the tighter 'setting'. The ventilation is good as you say :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Chrisps wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:27 pm I second Berghaus Paclite for bikepacking. Nice how you can fully unzip them, and just keep buttons done up. But you do need a bit of elastic to stop the ankles flapping into the chainwheel. If you want something similar and cheaper, Berghaus Deluge are similar and half the price, twice the weight. Never ridden in them, but use a lot for walking and good venting.

Endura MT500s seem to hold up well to general MTBing, but are a bit sweaty after a while as there is no venting
Aren't Velez trousers horrendously hot? (I'm a Paramo fan, so know their stuff well, but have never considered trying their trousers for biking!)
The Velez trousers are fine for MTB and bikepacking in properly bad weather - the sort of days when you know you won’t be taking them off.
I wear mine next to my skin over shorts or bibs and find them really comfortable .
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Chrisps wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:27 pm Endura MT500s seem to hold up well to general MTBing, but are a bit sweaty after a while as there is no venting
Will a visit be Betty Swalls & her friend Betty Swallocks be due? :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

RIP wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:37 pm
Chrisps wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:27 pm But you do need a bit of elastic to stop the ankles flapping into the chainwheel.
I sliced a pair like that yonks ago but maybe that was before I sussed there's two studs at the bottom not just one. Not had a problem since I've been making sure I use the tighter 'setting'. The ventilation is good as you say :smile: .
Hmmm, maybe I am missing a trick there then!
lune ranger wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:56 pm The Velez trousers are fine for MTB and bikepacking in properly bad weather - the sort of days when you know you won’t be taking them off.
I wear mine next to my skin over shorts or bibs and find them really comfortable .
Yeah, ok fair enough. Good for a depths of winter set of trousers then! Do you have any problems with them leaking under the saddle where the material is being crushed between you and the saddle?
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

The decathlon trail running waterproofs are as good as you could expect from much more expensive brands.
Good fit, articulated knees, long zip, light, packable and not too flappy.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-tra ... R-p-121366
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Chrisps wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:38 pm
Yeah, ok fair enough. Good for a depths of winter set of trousers then! Do you have any problems with them leaking under the saddle where the material is being crushed between you and the saddle?
Not necessarily depths of winter but they are reserved for the foulest wear. At other times - summer rain or carried just in case I use MT500 long waterproof shorts.
I’ve not noticed a wet rear end using the Velez trousers though they did sag off my waist a bit and bunch around the ankles until I started using braces with them.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Aren't Velez trousers horrendously hot?
i was listing mine by temperature
So summer i would take the aplkit parallax?
Bit cold likenow - stealths - they can get cold if it rains all day ]
Velez - foul weather and cold
Do you have any problems with them leaking under the saddle where the material is being crushed between you and the saddle?
IME my arse is always damp whatever waterproofs i wear. i always asssumed this is because being sat most of the time the breathability does not work and the damp is sweat not getting out rather than rain getting in
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:18 pm
Aren't Velez trousers horrendously hot?
i was listing mine by temperature
So summer i would take the aplkit parallax?
Bit cold likenow - stealths - they can get cold if it rains all day ]
Velez - foul weather and cold
Do you have any problems with them leaking under the saddle where the material is being crushed between you and the saddle?
IME my arse is always damp whatever waterproofs i wear. i always asssumed this is because being sat most of the time the breathability does not work and the damp is sweat not getting out rather than rain getting in
the oblivious answer: get off your derriere, dance on the pedals. Once In a while...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Fair point as not an issue when I SS
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Ton can those keela lightening be tightened in at the ankles to prevent the chain chewing them?
ton

Post by ton »

Ton can those keela lightening be tightened in at the ankles to prevent the chain chewing them?
yes they can mate. very comfy to ride in, and weigh next to nothing, and pack small.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

Cheers Ton, a gift idea for Xmas