MTB chainset on CX - anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

MTB chainset on CX - anyone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At present my cx is running a 34/48 compact but most of the time (like 95%) the 48 is redundant and being carried around for effect :?

I'm considering sticking a 28/40 mountainbike chainset on instead as I think it'll be much more use. The majority of riding is off road and it's a little hilly ;) I was expecting the 34 up front combined with a 34 cassette would be more than low enough but in reality it actually feels much, much harder than the 32 x 34 on my 29er :roll:

Yes, no or not really bothered - do what you want?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Re: MTB chainset on CX - anyone?

Post by ianfitz »

On my CX I have 29/42 front and 11/36 rear. It works well, although keeping up with a road group ride can be tricky :-/
Chew

Post by Chew »

I was thinking the same with mine. 32/28 at the lowest means its like a single speed most of the time off-road.

Was toying with running lower gears until I worked out the gear inches and compared it to Zippy's geek comparison chart. I'm taking the approach of manning up for a while and seeing how I get on.

Depends on how much road use it gets though. 80% of the time mine is used as a road bike with slicks I think i'd miss the 50 up front too much, so I may have to go down the route of a bigger cassette (although that may mean a new mech as well :( )
FLV

Post by FLV »

mine sounds a bit like chews. 34/50 front and 12-28 rear. Not sure weather to go for an mtb double up front or just take all the gears off it altogether.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use a road triple AND a 12-28.....
composite

Post by composite »

Geezer at work uses a standard XT triple on his CX, he loves it. Can't say I blame him... or you. Go for it.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

34/48 and 13-29 cassette here. I did look at fitting an old xt chainset with 29/44 but the chainline seemed very wide and I could not decide what front mech would work best so I lost interest.

Half the fun of cross bikes is the pain so I am trying to just man up with it for now
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Half the fun of cross bikes is the pain so I am trying to just man up with it for now
I know what you mean Shawn and up till now I've suffered and smiled but I can't help wondering whether long days loaded might be a bit more enjoyable with lower gearing ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Yeah I haven't tried it loaded up yet :? I was hoping the almost 8lb weight saving over my mtb would offset it a bit!

Any thoughts on if a normal road double front mech meant for 34/50 would work over 29/44? MTB front mech aint gonna work so nice with sti
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

You could potentially lose a little weight and look well cool by going with a Middleburn Duo. Small ring down to 27t, and 38/40/42/44t to choose from for the big ring. Almost as much range as a triple easily available, and you've the versatility of being able to swap the spider of you want to change the setup.
thomthumb

Post by thomthumb »

i've gone from 36/50 to 36/44 it's like night and day.

the jump is small enough that you can change rings and not stall/ spin/ search around for 3 changes at tht rear. but also you can ride sensibly in both CRs.

i might change to 34/44 to gain a little low end. don't miss the top end at all. yes i can spin out top gear on tarmac with a wind behind me but it's rare.
24tom

Post by 24tom »

T'other half has currently got a MTB double on her CX bike. In reality, she very rarely uses the granny (have to say I can't remember what cassette she has at the back...), and has been toying with going 1x.

Reckon it depends on what you use your CX bike for... For any prolonged road/fast tracks (and CX racing on quick courses), I'd miss having my 46t.

But - if you are yearning for easier gearing, then it's well worth a try?
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I'm using 50-34 upfront, and 11-32 out back, and whilst I don't use the 50 off road much, it is good for taking up chain slack on bumpy descents. When on the road the 50t chainring is a god send and i wouldn't be without it for all round tbh
Fitting an 11-32 outback just makes life easier than when I had 11-27 :)