Anyone follow a strict diet ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Anyone follow a strict diet ?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

does not require you to remove carbs
I've been saying reduce rather than remove. Removing carbs altogether (while possible) is (a) maybe not that good for you and (b) really hard work. I suppose diet and nutrition really comes down to ELS :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

Ton, request a blood test.
had 2 today Karl.

just got back from 9 hours at St James hospital.
outcome is that my heart has reverted to AF. probably brought on my the chest infection, and my heart rate being high for so long.
back on beta blockers and a new type of blood thinner for now.
waiting for a appointment with cardiologist............... :cry: :cry:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good luck fella, I'm sure it'll get sorted now they know.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Two things my granny used to say. Eat everything, but in moderation. And, don't eat anything with 'ingredients'.

Works for me.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 am If it's 'simply' a matter of shifting some of the bacon suit, then for me, cutting back on carbs is always the way forward - obviously that means beer too :wink:
As kind of stated before (in how bread holds many carbs);
If you miss out on one (1) bread roll you can have 10 - 15 beers.
Choose wisely.

Not on a diet. I eat what I want. And I do feel it affects my life quite substantially. Choose wisely. I mostly don't.

I get to observe operation techniques and procedures (thankfully not because I'm the patient, but through work) and it seems to be much more difficult to even get a clear arthroscopy, let alone run a successful invasive procedure and have a good healing process (diabetes) with overweight patients.

To see the operator/surgeons struggle is quite alarming.
While some doctors/surgeons may be dicks about weight, there are many medical (and obs. other) reasons for it :wink:
ton wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:58 pm so he turns up, does my blood pressure, which is fine. does my pulse, 119bpm. he then say's it may have stayed high because i am carrying a bit of weight. i said, could it be high because i still have some infection and the antibiotics may not have worked.
no, he says, they must have worked as you BP is fine. i then tell him it was fine when my doc took it last week on my 1st visit. well you could still do to lose a bit of weight, with your past heart issues, he says. i was getting a bit annoyed now.
What an idiot.
Did he get his diploma at a car boot sale?
As above obviously, but just consider yourself lucky to not have this gp as your gp. Karl was right (to have blood sampled).

A wise man once said about trying to live healthy:
Be happy with yourself as you are and live with the consequences. Don't worry too much about *add in anything from smoking to body wrecking activities or loosing weight* if you like the way you live and basically can do what you want.

My Grandma died at 82 with var. organs failing. Liver was one of them. She drank a strong beer or g&t or two to help her sleep rather than taking pills. She loved a drink and it helped her sleep. She wouldn't have enjoyed taking pills. I'm sure she died a bit happier and the liver would've failed from the meds anyways (I guess).

Clearly, any overweight above a certain degree will have quite an impact on so many things in life. I know, since I bounce around between ~4 kg to ~10 kg overweight. Even those 6 kg make a huge difference in everyday life, of course especially when riding.
I also need to eat less, but get cold faster.

Stop eating before you feel full.
ton wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:04 pm outcome is that my heart has reverted to AF. probably brought on my the chest infection, and my heart rate being high for so long.
back on beta blockers and a new type of blood thinner for now.
waiting for a appointment with cardiologist...............
Ouch... my Dad went through struggles with his heart rate.
He got a stent and is on beta blockers too. He also lost about 10 % weight, struggled long to loose it, tried many diets and what helped loads was regularly checking on his blood sugar levels. I know, n = 1...

Just thinking out loud. Hope it doesn't sound too stupid, or instructive.

Wishing you all the best.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Stuff that has worked for me, not necessarily wrt losing weight - I’ve never needed to lose weight other than the occasional few pounds now and again. But for general well being, I have found a diet with high proportion of fruit, veg and pulses to be beneficial. I also go through phases of fasting between 7pm and 9am - there’s science to back up the benefits. Fermented food is good - sauerkraut, kimchi, that sort of thing, easy to make your own - I grate red cabbage and carrot and ferment, then throw in a clove of garlic and some child’s.

The R4 prog ‘Just one thing’ has some good tips for living a healthier lifestyle.

I find getting a good nights sleep is the difficult one to achieve these days, because it’s not easy to control. Nothing like good sleep to keep the mood buoyant, which knocks on to dealing with the other stuff. I find stopping my food intake around 6-7pm, avoiding heavy meals, and getting to kip by 10 is a recipe for getting 7 hours kip which is the magic number for me.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

. I grate red cabbage and carrot and ferment, then throw in a clove of garlic and some child’s.
Any particular age or gender :wink:
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

:). Chilli’s
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I keep meaning to add fermented food into my diet, but I never seem to get around to it.

Missus does a decent amount of Kefir, but I could never develop a taste for it.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Richard G wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:30 am I keep meaning to add fermented food into my diet, but I never seem to get around to it.

Missus does a decent amount of Kefir, but I could never develop a taste for it.
Kefir - I use it on my morning muesli instead of milk. Does it do me good? Dunno, but I like it. I have an apple campaign every year - save what I can wrapped in tissue paper, the rest I stew with a bit of sugar and freeze it in 1 kg bags. This I use on my muesli. This year I have 60 kg squirreled away.

Also, this year, I've made a pile of sauerkraut. Check out these bad boys:-

Image These'll be frozen too.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Do you freeze the sauerkraut?
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

tobasco wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:30 pm Do you freeze the sauerkraut?

I do. I let it get sour enough then bag it up, give some away and freeze the rest.

I like to eat it cooked, with mashed potato and kielbasa (Polish sausage).
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Ton , I had a big issue with hypertension in the summer , tablets didn’t really bring it down and I’d occasionally pass out when they kept changing my pills so I stopped taking the new ones and went back to my old ones , when I was weighed I’d put on 11kg without really noticing, went on a plan called second nature, it doesn’t supply you any food but recipes instead so there is a bit of effort required, you still get your carbs but through veg instead of bread ect over the 3 months I dropped 12 kg and it’s stayed off , blood pressure is now back under control and I can exercise again with out feeling wrecked all day , I think you can get put on it through your gpif you ask
Mart

Post by Mart »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:21 am Reminds me of when I smoked Dr always said that was the reason for any chest infection.
That said , like weight, its unhealthy so they will mention it to you.
Whether you want to act or not is your decision.
I used to get bronchitis every year, when the cold weather used to hit my lungs in the autumn/winter
Dr said it was because I smoked ….. didn’t believe him but funnily enough since giving up i’ve not had it again
2924 miles per Gallon