What gloves for faffing?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

What gloves for faffing?

Post by Dave Barter »

I nearly lost control of my hands today. I was high up in the Cairngorm mountains faffing with my gps. I could not get my warm gloves on as they were Helen’s (packing fail). All I had were my Goretex over mitts which don’t really add much heat. But they did keep some of the weather out. As soon as I took them off everything went numb.

So it got me thinking that I’d like a thin underglove that I could leave on. It would allow me to open food wrappers, zips and work with a gps touch screen. Does such a thing exist (Marigolds?)? As I now need to go back up Maol Glas and retrieve all the disgusting words I left on the summit.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
frogatthefarriers

Re: What gloves for faffing?

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I bought a pair of silk under-gloves. They're thin, go under my other gloves, and make it easier to get them on and off when the gloves are wet.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

These look like they will fit the bill
https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/pr ... ntle-glove

Sadly I have no experience with them but have used similar for years and they’re great, warm enough whilst wet and can be wrung (sp?) out too
https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/pr ... reen-glove

Actually in closer inspection, they have now made them touch screen compatible (my 8/10 year old pair aren’t)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I got a pair of mitts that you can fold the 'fingers' back on. Granted it still leaves the skin exposed but only for a few seconds*

*times may vary depending on the level of faffing.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:59 pm I got a pair of mitts that you can fold the 'fingers' back on. Granted it still leaves the skin exposed but only for a few seconds*

*times may vary depending on the level of faffing.
Or kind of the other way round.
Don't use them for riding (once in a bunch of years) but skimo and hiking in cold temps:
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/over ... ves-254053
I highly recommend them. As stated, I don't use then for riding and perhaps the mitt cover seam makes riding uncomfy..?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'd do one of a few things
- use some thin liners. I quite like powerstretch as a material, it's warm and can be close fitting. You can get them in silk and merino but I personally don't rate them as much. Powerstretch might not be as thin as you'd like though
- big mitts, like buffalo mitts, they're great for warming cold hands and are easy to get on. Something bare hands in these is easy, cords on the mitts can help when you whip them off
- convertible gloves. I have some extremities hawk mitts that I use for walking the dog and walks with the kids when cold. They really do work well for faffing like grabbing a treat/sweet or opening zips. I bought them on a whim but they've actually been great. Not really warm enough for full on winter conditions though

For the liner gloves you don't want too much grippy surface on them otherwise they'll be hell to put on

I also find the big glove set up to be important. If they have a liner that isn't fully fixed inside or grabs your cold clammy hands like velcro when you put them on then they're not much use
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I always find a trip to Halfords can prove worthwhile.
I have a pair of their thin fleece gloves that are my cold weather go to gloves.
They are not screen sensitive and not windproof but ideal for what I need and cost less than a tenner.
If you must go technical have a look at work gloves. There are some water proof wind proof ones
that are not too thick to allow you to faff with small items. I think they are rated CE/EN rated?
Screwfix and the like do them.

In the same vain and off subject I found a DHB neck warmer thing (snood?) in Halfords.
For me it is a thousand times better than all the fancy buffs I have.
I use it all year round to keep flies out in summer and the cold in winter.
Even used it as a mask for shopping for food when out on the bike.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks all. Today on the tops it was blowing 50-60mph with snow and massive windchill. Luckily I found an old pair of Windstoppers in the van which almost did the trick. Can you retro fit something to a glove to make it work with capacitive screens?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:50 pm Can you retro fit something to a glove to make it work with capacitive screens?
Conductive sewing thread. 2 - 3 rows across the tips of the fingers/thumbs you operate your devices with will do the trick :-bd