Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Some thoughts on gloves...

Post by FLV »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:25 pm
It's not an issue.
Good to know
(In any case, my experience is that trying to arrest a fall without an outstretched arm isn't necessarily a good thing :lol: )
Still, its what I tend to instinctively do to protect my pretty face :grin:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

FLV wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:22 pm I've never tried pogies on a push bike, strikes me that if its cold enough to be icy out, you may want to 'arrest' a fall quite suddenly and having your hand enclosed may be an issue. Or is this simple not an issue once you get used to them?
As Colin hinted at, that might save you breaking a wrist or collarbone if it does happen, though I've never had that situation.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

This has made me pogie curious. So much so I just bought some of the HotPogs.
I’m not convinced that it’s cold enough for them more than a couple of days a year in Devon.
Furthermore I’m unsure whether they’ll fit my set up which includes bar ends and a Rohloff shifter.
At less than £30 they’re worth a punt though and I can sell them on if I don’t like them.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

[quote=ScotRouted
[/quote]

Hot pogs are cheap but they've been out of stock for a while....
[/quote]
Basic HotPogs can now be ordered, black only.
[/quote]

Good call, I ordered some earlier. Hopefully this winter I'll only have cold feet.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

FLV wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:22 pm I've never tried pogies on a push bike, strikes me that if its cold enough to be icy out, you may want to 'arrest' a fall quite suddenly and having your hand enclosed may be an issue. Or is this simple not an issue once you get used to them?

As I say, never used them so I am asking rather than criticizing.
It's not an issue.

(In any case, my experience is that trying to arrest a fall without an outstretched arm isn't necessarily a good thing :lol: )
I thoroughly binned the Ice Cream Truck on a track with wet icy patches and rocks at the beginning of this year (it was dark so I didn't notice the ice until it was just too late) and I couldn't get an arm out due to the pogies. But, whilst I fair bruised my hip, I did land completely on one side (on the rocks = ouch) which probably spread the impact out; whereas stretching an arm out would likely have meant a buggered or broken shoulder / collar bone.

Best advice is not to fall off obviously but other than that incident I've had some spectacular OTB's in the snow and the pogies haven't caused issues.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

As I say, never used them so I am asking rather than criticizing.
It's not an issue.

I had a fall or two off a both drop & flat bar bikes. in most cases I have held onto the bars and naturally rolled. With other sports if I've put an arm out stretched, the result have not been good. more than bruises, like sprains or breaks.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

I foolishly attempted a small jump when wearing cycling mitts.
Bars slipped out of my compromised grip.
Seemed like an age being airborne whilst reflecting on my stupidity.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Tonto wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:09 am I foolishly attempted a small jump when wearing cycling mitts.
Bars slipped out of my compromised grip.
Seemed like an age being airborne whilst reflecting on my stupidity.
I suppose it all depends what the thumbs & palms are faced with, leather or synthetic, rubberised, plain knitted or woven bri-nylon.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..