Has Anyone Been On The Ridgeway Recently?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Has Anyone Been On The Ridgeway Recently?

Post by The Cumbrian »

Does anyone know what conditions are like on The Ridgeway at the moment, especially around Uffington?

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
psling

Re: Has Anyone Been On The Ridgeway Recently?

Post by psling »

I've been in the area but can't really answer your question :roll:

I spent the weekend riding to the west of Salisbury. It had been drizzling most of last week and where water pools on the ridge drove roads it was mucky but rideable, terrain similar to the Ridgeway. The tracks off the ridges, especially along wood edges were mostly wet and horrible (chalk so a bit different to the Ridgeway near Uffington).

:cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
The Cumbrian

Re: Has Anyone Been On The Ridgeway Recently?

Post by The Cumbrian »

psling wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:56 pm I've been in the area but can't really answer your question :roll:

I spent the weekend riding to the west of Salisbury. It had been drizzling most of last week and where water pools on the ridge drove roads it was mucky but rideable, terrain similar to the Ridgeway. The tracks off the ridges, especially along wood edges were mostly wet and horrible (chalk so a bit different to the Ridgeway near Uffington).

:cool:
Thanks very much for that. I was in the area today with work, and managed a quick spin out before heading back. It was only about 12 miles from the B4000 to the B4001 and back. I don't usually like out and back routes, and planned not to do one, but the riding along The Ridgeway was so good I decided to just turn around. I also got to visit Wayland's Smithy, Uffington Castle and Uffington White Horse, all of which I've wanted to see for years.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.