Fat bike mudguard

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Fat bike mudguard

Post by ootini »

Hi all fatbikers.

What's the mudguard of choice that can accommodate a 4" tyre? I'm getting filthy out on my OOF at the minute, so could do with something to keep the bulk of the poor show off me.

Thanks
substandard

Re: Fat bike mudguard

Post by substandard »

Mudhugger fathugger

I may be biased though as I did all their prototype testing in the early days! Seriously though I’ve not found anything better. Fathugger on the front and a normal 29er rear mudhugger out back, no need for the extension kit with 4” tyres
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Decathlon do one, or did do one that cost about £7.
Its spotty dog IMHO.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I used to use Crud 29er front rear guards to good effect on the moonie.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fathugger front.
And whatever the rear mudhugger is called - with the optional width extender.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Mudhugger fathugger here on a 4.8" tyre on a Lefty fork :{)>

the Mudhugger guys couldn't have been more helpful in sorting me out with what I needed to make it fit the Lefty.
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

For the rear use the large rather than the medium as its a chunk longer. Instead of their extender for fatbikes just get hold of some polyprop sheet and make your own although as SS says, you don't really need it for 4" tyres. I also use a mucky nutz fat gut fender ont he down tube which works well with the mudhugger fat front guard.
Voila:-
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Another vote for Fathugger/Mudhugger. I've extended the front with a mudflap made out of the packaging (plastic sheet) that came with an OnOne Floater tyre many moons ago and it's well worth doing. On the rear I had a 29er Mudhugger on my old OOF and it suited it really well due to the shallow angle of the seat stays. On my current Smokestone Henderson which has steeper seat stays I have a 26er, shorter Mudhugger as I think the 29er version looks too long. Both have done a great job of keeping my arse and dropper post relatively clean. I'm going to have to modify the front one at some point as I'm probably swapping from Blutos to Manitou Mastodons in the near future and the Mastodons have the weird rear mounted brace that Manitou seem to favour. I can't imagine using anything other than Mudhuggers on a fat bike tbh.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

Another here, great combo.

Can just squeeze a 4.4 JJ or 4.8 Minion on a Bluto under the front one (inc mud clearance but need to cut the front lip off with a woodsaw!). 4.8JJ would be too tall though I think.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

DickieH wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:22 am Another here, great combo.

Can just squeeze a 4.4 JJ or 4.8 Minion on a Bluto under the front one (inc mud clearance but need to cut the front lip off with a woodsaw!). 4.8JJ would be too tall though I think.
I modified the front lip with the help of a hair dryer.
Loki

Post by Loki »

A question I was about to ask myself, I know what's going on my Christmas list now :lol:
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
ton

Post by ton »

fathugger on the front with 4.8 jumbo jims on my wo. with a large mudhugger on the rear. i need the extention thing for the rear i think. :-bd