Change of lifestyle maybe ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Polisherman

Re: Change of lifestyle maybe ?

Post by Polisherman »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:26 pm Sorry ...
So you tie string to a stick?
Do you prefer long sticks or medium sized sticks?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you prefer long sticks or medium sized sticks?
I can do both. I'm good :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Ironically, adding a string to your bow is an apposite answer to Tony's OP :cool: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I have theory , I am no psycologist (cant even spell it), but politically correct or not, the Man of the family has for thousands of years and countless generations has been the one who hunts and gathers, protects and provides. So maybe we (Men) are, like it or not, hardwired to "work" or accomplish something daily??
When that requirement is removed who can tell what sort of a mind f##k that would have on a person. ( not a genuine psycological term). YVMV.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I imagine nearly all of us will have periods of feeling just like this in our life.

I had been struck with the "what's the point of it all" for over a decade and really struggled with the seemingly never-ending routine of the doing the same job for the same organisation for what seems like forever... I said to myself that I didn't want to be doing the same job at the same place when I was 50. I'm 54 now and still work at the same place, doing the same job...

BUT!

I spent a lot of time trying to think of other things to do work-wise, to no avail.

Then I started baking bread again. I used to bake fairly often when the kids were small (They are mostly in their 30s now). I would always make chocolate bread when we went camping and the kids loved it.

I baked more and more often. Then my wife bought me a bread baking day course at a local cookery school which I really enjoyed. This got me baking for the family even more. I decided I would try to bake us enough bread so we didn't have to buy it from the shops.

Then, in late 2018, my wife found a Sourdough baking course, directed towards baking as a small business. Well, what a day! It was like someone turned the lights on for me. I had finally eased the itch that I had been trying to scratch for over 10 years.

Without going into too much detail, I haven't stopped baking bread since. I started selling it in early 2019 and things have got bigger and bigger since. Within a few months I went part time at the day job so I could focus more on the bread.

To use a well worn phrase, I haven't looked back! So, while I may still do the same day job for the same organisation, it now doesn't dominate my life and thinking. I am doing what I want to do and loving it. It is hard work, but is work that I want to be doing, when I want to do it, and that makes all the difference.

Another major plus is that I try to deliver all of my loaves by bike, so I have even managed to combine riding with my new livelihood... Bonus!

Breadpacking is where it's at... :lol:

I am not a motivated person, and have leaned towards laziness for periods in my life. But discovering what I want to do and then getting on and doing it has truly saved me.

So don't lose heart Ton. No matter how dark it may be, there is always hope and always light. Nothing stays the same forvever and things can get better. Focus on what you love and do more of that.

All the best,

Si
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

A local baker delivers like this. I'm not a baker but I kind of envy him.

Interesting topic. Not near retirement and with twins hitting 16 and both likely to go to Uni, could never afford to go part-time...maybe ever. Experiencing middle age crises for near on 10 yrs. That is a phrase I hate as it belittles and suggests a selfish man-child looking to run off with a young blonde or buy a convertible (both aims of.mine long before any crises hit😁).The reality really is about not slipping into a long, slow death march into old age but instead creating as interesting life to look back on without regret. I can't imagine I'll be on my death-bed thinking I should have spent more time in the office. It'll be about Family, Kids, achievements and probably what great beers I've had. More power to you all who find life reinvigorated in the most obscure ways.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

belugabob wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:54 am :lol:
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:28 pm
belugabob wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:01 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:54 am
Maybe learn to make something, or just learn something?
I taught myself to make bows. ...
My slow brain took a while to realize that you didn't mean 🎀
Yeah - he's moving on to sterns next and then the essential bit in the middle.
that wit deserves a salutation.
Attachments
bowing. gif
bowing. gif
bow.gif (10.63 KiB) Viewed 949 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

psling wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:45 am Ironically, adding a string to your bow is an apposite answer to Tony's OP :cool: :wink:
:lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Wow, great story Si :-bd
Inspiring and fascinating. Deeply relaxing in a way too.

What a seemingly minor thing like baking bread can transform...
ton

Post by ton »

just got back from a doctors appointment. i knew there was some reason for me being such a moaning fecker with my post.
chest infection in full throw, antibiotics prescribed.
temperature up.
heart rate of 117bpm for the last 3 days. fear of reverting to AF. bisoprolol prescribed. :sad: :sad:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

darbeze wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:51 pm I imagine nearly all of us will have periods of feeling just like this in our life....

Then, in late 2018, my wife found a Sourdough baking course, directed towards baking as a small business. Well, what a day! It was like someone turned the lights on for me. I had finally eased the itch that I had been trying to scratch for over 10 years.

Si, what a great little story :-bd
The answer was there under your nose all along. to see it you just had to use your loaf :lol:
Ton, if you want to met up I can pop over again with bike...
pm me. :wink:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
gairym

Post by gairym »

Si, what a great story - well done for having sense and bottle to follow your dream!
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

ledburner wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:29 pm
Si, what a great little story :-bd
The answer was there under your nose all along. to see it you just had to use your loaf :lol:

Groan... but thanks!
gairym wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:38 pm Si, what a great story - well done for having sense and bottle to follow your dream!
Again, thanks.

If my story inspires anybody, then it was worth sharing.

But, let's not forget Ton's woes. Hope you get better!

Si
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

ton wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:27 pm just got back from a doctors appointment. i knew there was some reason for me being such a moaning fecker with my post.
chest infection in full throw, antibiotics prescribed.
temperature up.
heart rate of 117bpm for the last 3 days. fear of reverting to AF. bisoprolol prescribed. :sad: :sad:
Hope you're feeling better soon Tony.