Flat Pedal choice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Flat Pedal choice

Post by FLV »

I know I know, done before but lets get up to date eh :-bd

Whats your choice in very reliable and / or very easily serviced flat pedals?

My personal preference is for thin, very large platforms.

When they are working, I really like the Kona Wah Wah 2. Composite or Alloy, I have a set of each. They are however not very reliable. My composite ones have worked loose on the axle and for the life in me, I cannot find a tool that fits in the hole to undo the little nut on the end of the axle. It is very very annoying. (yes, I know I can grind down a socket, but... annoying)

I have also used DMR Vaults. Grippy, smaller platform and need maintenance (at least they are easy to take apart) but not bad, if a little thick.

Anyone tried the new Shimano? Crank bros look like a massive platform but do they disintegrate outside of California?

Cheers
Bearlegged

Re: Flat Pedal choice

Post by Bearlegged »

My plastic Nukeproofs have been going since 2016 despite complete neglect and lack of maintenance.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nukeproof Neutrons.

And what is this "servicing" of which you speak?
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Plus one for the Nukeproofs (the Neutron EVOs, to be specific). Cheap too.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
FLV

Post by FLV »

They sound interesting from a reliability point of view, but they're small and think aren't they (yes I know, I'm fussy and want it all)
techno

Post by techno »

My crank brothers stamp 3s are doing great. 2years of abuse and still going strong.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

techno wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:59 pm My crank brothers stamp 3s are doing great. 2years of abuse and still going strong.
there were some bergtec flatties Escape Goat was advertising for sale.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20942&p=275320&hilit=pedals#p275320
I fitted nuke proof neutrenos, but haven't put many Mile's on, them, they felt fine. they replaced Wellgo basic flatties pedals with replaceable pins, seal and bushes.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

FLV wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:47 pm[...]
Whats your choice in very reliable and / or very easily serviced flat pedals?

My personal preference is for thin, very large platforms.

[...]
Anyone tried the new Shimano? Crank bros look like a massive platform but do they disintegrate outside of California?

Cheers
I dug out an old thread:
Alpinum wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:24 am New pedals - the plastic Nukeproof lost some pins after light rock contact and have developed play after only 560 km. Running alloy flats. Very flat flats from VP Compoents, the Harrier ti. Got them real cheap and they don't have the brutal grip of the Nukeproof's. More of a grip I can actually work with when I need to reposition my feet. Still, super grippy with the Adidias Trail Cross.
So, poor experience in 2017 with plastic Nukeproof.
SPD Nukeproof have been better, maybe the plastic body holding bearing & bushing made it worse. It takes my Nukeproof SPD about 1000 km to develop play, which without fixing will lead to damaged axles and/or cracked bodies. The good news with the Nukeproof; they are dead easy to service/swap bearings/bushings.
The above mentioned VP developed play rather early too and when I wanted to see inside, to see if I could fix it without buying spares from VP, I saw that both sides had cracked bodies.

I used Saints many years ago, short bearing life too.

The only flat pedals I'd buy again would currently be HT or OneUp (both alloy). They seem solid. HT working well on my long travel trail bike (except for loosing/shearing off pins by hitting rocks, but that's my fault, not the pedal's), no play after more than 1000 km.
And the OneUp have been on my fatbike for the most part of 3 years or so, including the Puna trip (>1000 km in itself). The OneUp don't get the beating the HT do, but should I need to replace the HT I'll probably get OneUp again, since the HT I use don't offer the grip.
Cheaper, not quite as low in profile, but still slim are the Sixpack Vertic 3.0, which I use on my ssp trail ht. Haven't done any serious milage on them but they have been on for about 300 km and are still like new (concerning any play).

Grip wise the OneUp and Sixpack are as good as it gets with a grippy shoe, they really lock you into place. Could be almost too grippy for some.

Back until about 2014 I used different types of Crankbrothers (all clipless) and gosh... what a sh!t show. Apparently they've improved much, but given all the options I'm not giving them a second chance.

On my everyday/offroad touring bike I've done lots of milage with Funn pedals, they too are doing really well. Since it's a ssp bike I use the Mamba onesided SPD type, but imagine that their flats are of the same build quality.

The pedals which work for me may be dependable, but I'm not sure I'd call any pedal very reliable. More of a wearing part where some last a bit longer than others.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks again.

I dont actually mind servicing, so long as it doesnt need bearings every few months and its easy enough to do. The Vaults for example are easy enough to pop apart so arent a bad choice.

I tried some one up plastic, they seem very small was my main issue but I will check the alloy version too.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've had a couple of pairs of Nukeproof Electrons (plastic) with quite different experiences of reliability - one pair I've never serviced, while the newer pair have had at least one set of bearings.

The size is one of the more important things to me too. I'd really like to give a pair of these a go, but they're hideously expensive: https://pedalinginnovations.com/

The closest I could find lengthwise in a more conventional pedal was One Up, and I've had a pair of the plastic ones on my full-sus for 6 months or so now. Would buy them again. You say you find them small so maybe it's width you're after?

Pedals seem to be much of a muchness in terms of servicing these days, they're all pretty much the same design IME.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

FLV wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:39 am I tried some one up plastic, they seem very small was my main issue but I will check the alloy version too.
Current OneUp Alloy are definately in the large platform range with 115 x 105 mm. Significantly larger than most classics. I'd even say they are huge.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

JimmyG wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:18 pm Plus one for the Nukeproofs (the Neutron EVOs, to be specific). Cheap too.
That's my vote too. Much better than dmr v8 or v12 (IMO)