BB200 route.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: BB200 route.

Post by Richard G »

I enjoyed it a surprising amount, but I suspect that not being anywhere near race pace helped a fair bit with that. I did run out of water, but I also didn't want to risk taking water from streams near sheep... which seemed to be everywhere!

Was only one bit that really pissed me off, and that was a long rutted lane full of puddles about 77 miles in (had to walk most of it). I suspect it was a bit better when everyone did it a week later as it had been a dry week... will be interesting to hear how it is today. I was amused that I only came across literally one patch of tussocks in the entire ride (after that seriously steep downhill, which I walked most of).

I spent the entire ride dreading that final hill, and really shouldn't have. Don't get me wrong, it was hard, but it was nothing like as hard as what I was expecting.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6093033933

Could have gone a good amount faster, but I hadn't been out on the bike for three months so I had absolutely no idea where I was with my fitness etc. Still, great to be back to being able to do things like that again... the road to recovery has been long and frustrating.

Edit - Oh, and I can reveal that I'm to blame for the re-route, but you probably didn't want the stress of arguing with the landowner anyway.

Edit 2 - Were there as many rabbits for everyone as when I did it? I saw literally hundreds. Also, there were two friendly horses that followed me between two gates. :cool:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Currently recomposing myself in Clun, following a trip to the spar. Possibly went off a bit quick and paying for it now. Bit sketchy on the gravel bike in the wet, but could be worse.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but could be worse.
It can always be worse :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

That reminds me, that ridiculously steep and long push in Hopton. We used to come down that on XC races in the 90’s. It was called The Cliff.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 am Anyway, yes no reason why we can't now share our Oct rides, thoughts, observations, etc.
OMG it's a horrible route isn't it?
Don't forget to turn left at the tree.
I wouldn't recommend the turnips at the food stop.
Mind the wolves.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Reminds me... the trail centre bit, was the idea to be on the actual trails or on the fireroads next to them?

The line seemed to be on neither. :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Ian wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:46 pm Currently recomposing myself in Clun, following a trip to the spar. Possibly went off a bit quick and paying for it now. Bit sketchy on the gravel bike in the wet, but could be worse.
Lol... I rode down to that spar but that was 11h from now... Nice road climb back up Ian.. :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Should be seeing half dead finishing posts by now. Step it up boners! :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Richard G wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:22 am Should be seeing half dead finishing posts by now. Step it up boners! :lol:
Maybe they're not just half dead... :-S
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm a DNFer :roll:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:55 am I'm a DNFer :roll:
Oh no. What happened?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Had a bit of a’mare :sad: I bailed on the 300 and did the 200. Had bad cramps from 65km until after Bucknell. Bricked the GPS when I put new batteries in so ended up riding back from Horton Woods with two guys who just happened to be passing at the right moment. Threw up later in the ride, not sure why.

Walked a hell of a lot partly due to the cramp and partly due to the conditions. Finished in 23;40

A bit knackered :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Well done for sticking it out. Sounds deeply unpleasant.
substandard

Post by substandard »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:08 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 am Anyway, yes no reason why we can't now share our Oct rides, thoughts, observations, etc.
OMG it's a horrible route isn't it?
Don't forget to turn left at the tree.
I wouldn't recommend the turnips at the food stop.
Mind the wolves.

Hands up who got stacked it in the turnip field…. Probably just me haha
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:39 pm Had a bit of a’mare :sad: I bailed on the 300 and did the 200. Had bad cramps from 65km until after Bucknell. Bricked the GPS when I put new batteries in so ended up riding back from Horton Woods with two guys who just happened to be passing at the right moment. Threw up later in the ride, not sure why.

Walked a hell of a lot partly due to the cramp and partly due to the conditions. Finished in 23;40

Bad luck Bob, sounds most unlike you :sad: .

PS. If you entered the 300 are you still allowed to claim a 200 badge? :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Ian

Post by Ian »

Made it to Caersws. Last push (probably literally) still to go. But first, I have a jacket potato with tuna to demolish.
It’s pretty tough out there. Honestly, it is!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:28 pm
whitestone wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:39 pm Had a bit of a’mare :sad: I bailed on the 300 and did the 200. Had bad cramps from 65km until after Bucknell. Bricked the GPS when I put new batteries in so ended up riding back from Horton Woods with two guys who just happened to be passing at the right moment. Threw up later in the ride, not sure why.

Bad luck Bob, sounds most unlike you :sad: .

PS. If you entered the 300 are you still allowed to claim a 200 badge? :wink: .
General lack of long distance fitness and the conditions really Reg.

Yes you get a BB200 badge - made a bit easier this year by both routes sharing the first 125km or so. I only got to Bucknell at 1845 so there was no way I was getting to Clun for 2000 when the Spar closes so I'd already decided to swap routes, then the GPS failing made that a certainty.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

Bad luck Bob. Things didn’t get easier after Bucknell, so a wise choice.

I’ve seen Kenny and Andy W today. Kenny is bashing it out on his SS, aiming to finish before dark. Andy has ripped the drive side pedal out of his crank, but planning on walking/ coasting/ one-legged riding his way to the finish. I saw him on the tarmac climb up to the windfarm, so still 40km to go.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I think the October edition may have been a little easier judging by the suffering on this one. I finished at 10am ish (26 hours) in October. It was quite dry on the ground, and hardly any mud (lots of sheep poo, but it's mid Wales (and England)), and probably a little warmer. I actually really enjoyed the 300 - top route and fantastic scenery, and enough food and water to avoid any anxiety. A couple of stings at the end, and I was hoping the 200 and 300 routes finished together but they separated after Caersws. All in all - another great BB event!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Richard G wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:45 am
Escape Goat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:55 am I'm a DNFer :roll:
Oh no. What happened?
My body wouldn't do what my mind wanted it to do. Then my mind went AWOL. Cramps. Sick. Bambi legs. Managed 146km after bailing at 80k.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

slarge wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:48 pm A couple of stings at the end, and I was hoping the 200 and 300 routes finished together but they separated after Caersws. All in all - another great BB event!
Joined up again at Trefeglwys no?
Escape Goat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:53 pm My body wouldn't do what my mind wanted it to do. Then my mind went AWOL. Cramps. Sick. Bambi legs. Managed 146km after bailing at 80k.
Sorry to hear that. Mental aspect really can be the hardest part when your body isn't playing ball.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I take my hat off to you, Steve, for doing the 300 in 26 hours. I got back in 32 hours + a bit, but had four hours sleep in Shelve, as I was cold and wet after the slog over Long Mynd and Stiperstones.

Good route, but very much unrelenting as usual :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 am Everyone underway (unless they've turned up very late). Weather's somewhat wet and windy and quite a bit colder than it was back in Oct, so it'll be interesting to see how people get on in comparison.

Anyway, yes no reason why we can't now share our Oct rides, thoughts, observations, etc.
Any stats on the number of starters / finishers / badges?

Edit - Actually I guess there's still a little time left for finishers.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks to Stu and Dee for another great event. :-bd

I’ll add a few words to the reports thread when (if) I recover sufficiently
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Charlie! Was good to catch up with you man. Sorry I was a bit dozy at breakfast. Despite me sleeping from 3am till almost 10, I was and am still very tired.