Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Bikepacking. A sport?

Post by fatbikephil »

It's definitely a game...
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

It all depends on your approach to it, if you're just trying to get around a route then it's an activity (albeit a sporting activity). If you are trying to be the first home or trying to make a certain time to finish by, it's a sport. IMHO
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sport

Not sport
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

And what a great game this is. It's like throwing a grenade into a room, closing the door and running off :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:53 pm And what a great game this is. It's like throwing a grenade into a room, closing the door and running off :-bd

Or poking a hornet's nest! Come to think about it, I'd say it's more like sport than bike packing is :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:19 am There are only three sports: bullfighting*, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games

Ernest Hemingway
As if he had any clue...
Just because he was a writer and arsehole... C'mon :wink:

Like the writer (russian philosopher I'm not going to point my cheeky finger at) who worked his arse off writing down some gibberish he thought was utterly important (Michael Jackson is about 10^6 times better known... well poor show...) under deck when a mate went to call him out on deck to see the beautiful sunset.
When on deck, sailing across the Atlantic, the writer was enraged for what he was called away from his precious work and shouted never ever again they should disturb him from his meaningful work for nature's poor show.

He's the only writer I ever came across to not find love and beauty, rage and pity and all the other grandness in nature. And he surely had less impact than Aristotle, Goethe (who envied the younger Humboldt), Schiller, Shakespeare, Thoreau, Emerson and even Muir, Danilevsky and many other writers (I, except for Aristotle, excluded the many polymaths who where writers too).

Where were we again?

Ueli Steck was the only mountaineer I can think of who clearly saw himself as an athlete, rather than a mountaineer. But when we talked about sport he clearly didn't see his doings as such. Is calling an activity 'just' a sport too reducing? Does calling yourself an athlete purport your activity to being a sport?

When I sat down in front of tents one morning with Alan after a Highland Trail event and rolled a cigarette to go with a brew, he said "you shouldn't smoke, your an ultra endurance athlete". I laughed in disagreement to his probably not so serious statement.
Do bikepacking event/race winners call themselves athletes? I never heard or read of such. Perhaps it's wrong to assume an athlete does take part in sports. For me those two definitions are connected.

Sport...
Yeah. Not such a thing for me. It's all in your/the other's heads.
Sportive? Active.
Competitive? I like a challenge.
Training? Conditioning.
Etc.
I do seem to struggle to call something a sport, since I appear to believe it is indeed reducing it to a too singular form.

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:53 pm And what a great game this is. It's like throwing a grenade into a room, closing the door and running off :-bd
Indeed. Something I quite like too (throw a grenade) :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Given that we are leaders not followers (in terms of bikepacking that is), maybe we should make it a sport based on some of the criteria set out in Stus post. Spar Wars 2, this time its serious! :-bd
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:24 pm Given that we are leaders not followers (in terms of bikepacking that is), maybe we should make it a sport based on some of the criteria set out in Stus post. Spar Wars 2, this time its serious! :-bd
Better that we codify it than the dead hand of the UCI.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:42 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:24 pm Given that we are leaders not followers (in terms of bikepacking that is), maybe we should make it a sport based on some of the criteria set out in Stus post. Spar Wars 2, this time its serious! :-bd
Rule #1 There are no rules.
Rule #2 In case of doubt or dispute - see rule 1
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:04 pm It's definitely a game...
I like this. As in, "we're playing bikepacking this weekend" :-bd

I heard or read somewhere a while ago, that due to the messy and tricky nature of eating it, a family called it "playing spaghetti tonight" rather than "eating spaghetti", I thought that was brilliant :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Good sport? Or, 'be a good sport..' :smile:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ledburner wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:59 am
woodsmith wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:42 pm
Rule #2 In case of doubt or dispute - see rule 1
I prefer,

Rule #1 Don't be a dick
For everything else see Rule #1
jameso

Post by jameso »

Do bikepacking event/race winners call themselves athletes? I never heard or read of such.
I see a few 'Ultra-Endurance Athlete' type social media profile etc but rarely (if ever?) from those winning. Brands who sponsor riders use the terms a lot. It's hardly encouraging to many newer riders when it's presented to them as ULTRA ENDURANCE or ALTHLETICS for the sake of a rider or brand's ego. Long distance and self-supported, yes. I digress / rant but what's 'ultra' anyway?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

There are for ITT and for BB200/300 etc even LNT is a rule.

As for ultra etc I doubt the average newbie needs to be encouraged to do the HT550 etc as it is well beyond most bikepackers never mind newbies.i am not sure what word is required to indicate the level of fitness required but you will need more than fitness.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:07 am As for ultra etc I doubt the average newbie needs to be encouraged to do the HT550 etc as it is well beyond most bikepackers never mind newbies.i am not sure what word is required to indicate the level of fitness required but you will need more than fitness.
I meant that the prevalence of the racing element in bikepacking events, and the common reference to ultras and epics, isn't the sort of thing that makes it all seem particularly accessible. I believe it's far more accessible than it's portrayed anyway. The epic stuff or the importance of it just gets talked up a lot.
A new rider may not take in the HT550, sure. But a relatively experienced bikepacker or tourer may be new to the racing aspect and be far more capable of placing well than the image of racing suggests.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Fair points and most.lf my bikepacking is within 5 miles of my house so yes ( cost of equipment aside ) it's very accessible to do.
I don't do Instagram or any social media is it not also awash with micro adventures and other such more achievable goals ?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I read a very well written piece suggesting that a sport is a sport if you can do it better if you wear the correct shoes. So from that perspective, Bikepacking probably is a sport!
psling

Post by psling »

Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:46 pm I read a very well written piece suggesting that a sport is a sport if you can do it better if you wear the correct shoes. So from that perspective, Bikepacking probably is a sport!
And swimming isn't... :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Verena wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:58 am
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:04 pm It's definitely a game...
I like this. As in, "we're playing bikepacking this weekend" :-bd
Are you going to the game this weekend?
Who's playing?
BearBones are taking on Bikepacking.com, should be good it's the semi-final.

Sorry I'll get my coat :smile:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

[/quote]

Who's playing?

[/quote]

We'll walk it if we get those effete hipsters from The Radavist in the final.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:57 pm
Who's playing?

[/quote]

We'll walk it if we get those effete hipsters from The Radavist in the final.
[/quote]

:lol: :-bd
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

How can it be a sport when everyone’s a winner?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Ian

Post by Ian »

ScotRoutes wrote: OK, let's try again.
Baiting Colin looks like it could be a sport?

:wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

jameso wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:55 am
Do bikepacking event/race winners call themselves athletes? I never heard or read of such.
I digress / rant but what's 'ultra' anyway?
It’s like a Marshall amp,Nigel explains here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:26 pm It’s like a Marshall amp,Nigel explains here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o
A new epic-athletic performance bikepacking brand, 11 Ultra?

No?