Any group starts in March?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rollindoughnut

Any group starts in March?

Post by rollindoughnut »

Due to the nature of my job (I'm a gardener), by the beginning of April, I'm flat out. Jan-March are my quieter months.
I fancy doing a group start on something like the Dales Divide or YD300. Not so as to ride for 40hrs straight with no sleep, but to meet people and have an adventure.
Struggling to find information about dates for next year. Any ideas what might be suitable?
fatbikephil

Re: Any group starts in March?

Post by fatbikephil »

Nowt much before April in this country, we aren't masochistic enough!
YD is usually midsummer-ish, DD April, Cairngorms loop is May bank holiday weekend.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

You could always organise your very own group start RD... Put it out there and I'm certain people will come. Plenty of ITT routes dotted about all over so not much work needs to be done in making anything :smile:
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

That's a pretty good idea.
redefined_cycles

rollindoughnut wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:14 am That's a pretty good idea.
Tentatively, I'm in... About time someone put together a proper winter route/ITT for the uk (no pressure) that hopefully isn't more than a few quid to enter.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:25 am Tentatively, I'm in... About time someone put together a proper winter route/ITT for the uk (no pressure) that hopefully isn't more than a few quid to enter.
Take your pick: https://www.selfsupporteduk.net/ Available 365 days a year, and less than a few quid :grin:

Or if you want company at the start, as someone once said...
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:05 pm You could always organise your very own group start
:wink:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

A spring equinox kind of timed weekender could be good? I could put one together around the NW 'half' of the Lakes if there was demand? Would just be a start point (campsite and pub), gpx of route(s) suitable for the weather, and a suggested overnight - camping near a pub. Nothing stopping folk going quickly/non-stop I guess.
No cost. March 26/27th for the benefit of one hour less trying to sleep. Any interest?
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:56 pm A spring equinox kind of timed weekender could be good? I could put one together around the NW 'half' of the Lakes if there was demand? Would just be a start point (campsite and pub), gpx of route(s) suitable for the weather, and a suggested overnight - camping near a pub. Nothing stopping folk going quickly/non-stop I guess.
No cost. March 26/27th for the benefit of one hour less trying to sleep. Any interest?
Yes and no... :o if there was a possibility to start from somewhere that wasn't 'The Pub' then it'd helpmy motivation/mindset :smile: apologies for being 'a bit different'...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Interested don't drink but not as bothered by this as Shaf is ( no offence meant Shaf)
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:18 pm Interested don't drink but not as bothered by this as Shaf is ( no offence meant Shaf)
Thanks Jon... I'm thinking someone needs to make summat appropriate for deep winter... is that Jan/early Feb. That someone might just be me. Feel free to suggest an area and I'll try and get to work on it (there's 4 months left, surely it can be prepared). 100km obviously
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Yeah, sorry - I wasn't suggesting starting from the pub, or any requirement to visit one. I'll put a few details together and see what interest there might be. Keswick is a long way to travel for lots of folk.
redefined_cycles

Looking forward to it if I can make it... :smile:
slarge

Post by slarge »

How about a WC2C2C - start and finish on the Great Orme and head down to Worms Head and back - around 6 days should do it.....? In Feb/Mar.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thanks Jon... I'm thinking someone needs to make summat appropriate for deep winter... is that Jan/early Feb. That someone might just be me. Feel free to suggest an area and I'll try and get to work on it (there's 4 months left, surely it can be prepared). 100km obviously
Highland Trail Shaf? :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:55 pm
Highland Trail Shaf? :-bd
Lol... more like the Pennine Bridleway..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We've had no recorded completions of the Cairngorms Loop between October and March. I'm sure there will be at least one decent weather window in that time.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Right, I have a fig 8 route of up to 75 miles (with shortcuts that could reduce it considerably). Start would be near Cockermouth (campsite, travel lodge etc), March 26-27. Route would be mainly rocky/firm, 99% rideable (less so on a youknowwhat bike, but still very doable). Maybe 20-25% on tarmac, at least 6 resupply points and lots of places to wild camp properly. I'll include lots of suggestions for making things less grim if spring doesn't turn up on time.
I'll try to remember to put a proper invite/post up on Jan 1st and see what interest there would be.
EDIT: clearly rollindoughnut heads the list :roll: :-bd :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Looking FWD to it.
It's the furthest part of lakes from me so only know skiddaw and ullock, bash, the way over to langdales and done over grisedale to crummock . Never done anything crummock to wast water
You said mainly rideable so it won't be much of that
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:01 pm Right, I have a fig 8 route of up to 75 miles (with shortcuts that could reduce it considerably). Start would be near Cockermouth (campsite, travel lodge etc), March 26-27. Route would be mainly rocky/firm, 99% rideable (less so on a youknowwhat bike, but still very doable). Maybe 20-25% on tarmac, at least 6 resupply points and lots of places to wild camp properly. I'll include lots of suggestions for making things less grim if spring doesn't turn up on time.
I'll try to remember to put a proper invite/post up on Jan 1st and see what interest there would be.
Thanks vert much for this. Any chance to grab thw gpx pls
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

:lol:
What have I done?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

boxelder wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:01 pm Right, I have a fig 8 route of up to 75 miles (with shortcuts that could reduce it considerably). Start would be near Cockermouth (campsite, travel lodge etc), March 26-27. Route would be mainly rocky/firm, 99% rideable (less so on a youknowwhat bike, but still very doable). Maybe 20-25% on tarmac, at least 6 resupply points and lots of places to wild camp properly. I'll include lots of suggestions for making things less grim if spring doesn't turn up on time.
Only 2 hours to Cockermouth from me so I'm probably up for this :-bd
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Would there be any interest in my local stomping ground? There's a nice route from Dover to Winchester using NDW to Guildford, then Downslink to Steyning on the SDW before finishing the ride on the western end of the SDW.

Done in January/Feb, preferably with a stonking headwind, it'd be a mud apocalypse. 🙂
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

here's a nice route from Dover to Winchester
I've done Winchester to Arundel, during the 'Beast from the East' a few years ago (Feb 2018). Mercifully the mud was frozen, but a gravel bike was still the wrong choice......
Never done anything crummock to wast water
You said mainly rideable so it won't be much of that
Yeah, what I had in mind when I said N and W turned out to be longer than a Jennride, or requiring a HaB pass or two, so probably not a sociable March spin out. The route I have doesn't really stray far west of Crummock.
There's a great trip to the west through Wasdale, Eskdale, Duddon etc - but not ideal ground conditions in March........
Any chance to grab thw gpx pls
PM/DM me an email address shaf - I can't attach it to the messages here I don't think. It will only be a basis to adapt for conditions, if it happens.
We've had no recorded completions of the Cairngorms Loop between October and March
Having spent quite a few long weekends riding around Feshie/Aviemore etc in Nov/Dec, I have considered this. It snowed in May when I had a go recently though.......
Last edited by boxelder on Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ton

Post by ton »

Andy, will the route go near any pubs ?..................... :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Tony - only 8, plus Keswick. I can suggest short diversions :wink: