Probably done to death, but.. What shelter would you recommend?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Teetosugars

Probably done to death, but.. What shelter would you recommend?

Post by Teetosugars »

Thinking of getting something for the up coming weather, so looking at the Luxe Mini Peak etc, https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shel ... 6-139.html

Is there anything better out there?

Not wanting to spend a fortune, but just wanted some ideas please.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Probably done to death, but.. What shelter would you recommend?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My longstanding personal favourite shelter is the Gatewood cape.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

If you'd prefer a tent, and don't mind buying Chinese off eBay, then the 3F UL Lanshan 1 PRO is worth a look; I've found it's a bit of a condensation generator though. Instead of a Chinese knock off, you could always buy the original, which is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:34 am My longstanding personal favourite shelter is the Gatewood cape.
Aye, granny knows best
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

My Six Moons Wild Oasis is great, the Deschutes is the current equivalent iirc. Stu's Gatewood does the same job but you can wear it as well...
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

johnnystorm wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:20 pm Stu's Gatewood does the same job but you can wear it as well...
I very much like my Gatewood but wouldn't wear it; the only scenario in which you can't just climb out - rain - means the 'hood' opening needs to be closed and I get condensation inside. Except for a downpour, I'd get just as wet wearing it in the morning during light rain.

And nobody's actually riding in the thing are they?!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Never even tried wearing mine but must try it one day.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've got a Gatewood Cape but never use it (mostly because Cath nabs it before I can :lol: ). It's just under 300g so no heavier than something like the Alpkit Rig3.5. There's an inner for it but unless you are somewhere really midgy then a lightweight bivy bag is fine.

The Deschutes is similar, slightly different door setup, then there's the Lunar Solo which has an integrated inner, sort of a 1.5 skin setup. Quite a few here have the Lunar Solo.

If you want to go lighter than the Gatewood then really you are looking at DCF so something like the Z-packs range. Expect to pay handsomely though.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:30 pm Never even tried wearing mine but must try it one day.
I used mine as a cape one time when I needed to fix a tubeless tyre during some typical Dartmoor winter sub standard weather.
A bit flappy, obviously, but a good bit of full body cover for salvaging body heat,
Last edited by lune ranger on Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've previously exhorted the gatewood gang to wear them (and take pics) but none have stepped up as yet which is very disappointing. Gatewood if your prepared to wear it and look stupid, Deschutes if you don't.

Or flat tarps :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:22 pm I've previously exhorted the gatewood gang to wear them (and take pics) but none have stepped up as yet which is very disappointing. Gatewood if your prepared to wear it and look stupid, Deschutes if you don't.

Or flat tarps :-bd
Gauntlet officially thrown there then Phil!

Actually I'm convinced that one could wear it during the day, then at beddybyes time simply crouch down, erect your pole (ooerr) from inside, push some pegs in, then crash out. In the morning, reverse the process. There's another challenge for, er, someone.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:lol:
Thinking about it I could wear my Deschutes as the vent should provide an adequate peep hole. I'll give pitching from the inside a whirl at some point, I think you may be on to something there Reg!
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Another Gatewood cape user here. Complete with Stu's carbon pole.

The only negative I find is that in high winds they can feel unstable - although this is likely due to my skill in putting it up I would guess.
On good days, use with a tyvek or lightweight waterproof groundsheet and on rough days a lightweight bivy bag.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Another vote for the Six Moons Luna Solo for poo weather

For average weather Joe's shops tarp https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... tarp-377g/

Both using the Luna Solo poles that I got from on here from Stuart

If ok weather, Alpkit's Kloke bivi is brilliant
HUX

Post by HUX »

Deschutes user here :grin:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

mattpage wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 pm Another Gatewood cape user here. Complete with Stu's carbon pole.

The only negative I find is that in high winds they can feel unstable - although this is likely due to my skill in putting it up I would guess.
On good days, use with a tyvek or lightweight waterproof groundsheet and on rough days a lightweight bivy bag.
The good news is that IME is that they feel unstable but are pretty robust. I’ve slept in mine on a very exposed pitch in something approaching storm strength winds.
The Gatewood did a convincing impression of an epileptic crisp packet all night but stayed up and intact.
I guess the key thing in these situations is the pegs, if they stay put the shelter will but if pegs start pulling, you’d better start packing!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

Can't see my riding in the Gatewood cape unless slowly uphill in torrential all-day rain but it's a good shelter, if a tad small/low for me at 6'. Really light and easy to put up though. I did think I'd do some hiking with it at some point, or if I ever get to the point where I can contemplate a 2 day run / fast hike it's be great.

I have a Bearpaw Lair that's also really good, feels a bit more roomy than the Gatewood even if there's not much in it on the stated dimensions. I don't need both and I guess the weenie packer in me would take the Gatewood (so that's a stealth ad for the Bearpaw / need to get it in classifieds. Has bug net also. PM..)
ootini

Post by ootini »

I really like my Six Moons Design Skyscape Scout. Hybrid design so light enough and doesn't break the bank.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have a Gatewood as well and will happily add my vote to that choice. I've spent some nights in pretty wild conditions in the Gatewood and can confirm what Lune Ranger says, they flap and flex a bit but are pretty hardy if the pegs stay in place.
Recently I also bought a 3F UL Gear Lanshan 1 from AliExpress as well. My thought process with the Lanshan 1 was that it's a bit bigger than the Gatewood and gives me the option to use it fly only (like a Gatewood) or with the inner if I want the extra bug protection (mine is the normal version, not the single skinned Pro model mentioned above by Boab). Pack size and weight are competitive given the relatively low price and it seems very well constructed.
For reference I also have a Hexpeak v4 which is nice but bigger and more bulky and weighty than the Lanshan. I bought the Hexpeak a while ago for canoe camping when I was less concerned about packsize and being honest the Lanshan would be fine for that usage as well.
I probably need to have a clear out at some point as I definitely have a bit of shelter overlap going on!
All of the shelters above have been used with Stu's brilliant carbon poles and I spent a night on a Scottish mountain while hillwalking in the Hexpeak when a companion's geodesic tent suffered a bent DAC pole due to strong winds, again the Hex flapped and flexed a lot but remained intact in the same conditions.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Trekker stealth
Sweet spot between a tent and a bivvy
Light if you don't want the inner and full weather if you do.
Similar price to gatewood but you get a full tent
Can get two under it as a bivvy ( I have a zipped rear ) but low and tight for space
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

MLD Duomid. If you want to almost stand up to change, and have room for cooking or a quick game of badminton, this is your shelter.
I'm just going outside ...