convinced i need some new handlebars

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Big Fat Biker

convinced i need some new handlebars

Post by Big Fat Biker »

I need some help finding some new handlebars. I'm currently using a set of funn full on 810mm bars which I've cut down to 760mm with ergon gp2 grips.

I've never been happy with the way they feel, the width and height is brilliant but I've recently been having a bit of discomfort in the base of my hands/base of the thumbs. I always ride with gloves but im convinced I need something with a bit more back sweep.

Any suggestions?
johnnystorm

Re: convinced i need some new handlebars

Post by johnnystorm »

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/han ... -219-c.asp

Plenty of bendier bars there! I've got the Rich 10deg bars on my SS and the Salsa 11deg on my XC racer which I find comfy.

Have you tried silicone or Ergon grips? I've fallen out of love with lock-ons because they can be too hard.
Lmorgan87

Post by Lmorgan87 »

Depending on your bike I highly recommend Ragley carnegies bars. Look odd still first but they put your hands/ wrists in a lovely natural position. Perfect for rigid ss duties but equally comfy when running bouncy bits up front.
Always do the right thing... Just because it's the right thing to do.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

On-one fleegle are cheap for an experiment. 720mm. I.ve stuck with them on the SS after finding their Mary bars too narrow
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Double post
Last edited by jamiep on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Fat Biker

Post by Big Fat Biker »

Lmorgan87 wrote:Depending on your bike I highly recommend Ragley carnegies bars. Look odd still first but they put your hands/ wrists in a lovely natural position. Perfect for rigid ss duties but equally comfy when running bouncy bits up front.
Im riding a trek fuel ex5 full suspension. The ragley bars look ideal for touring/bikepacking but I need something a bit more all round. I use my bike for pretty much everything from bikepacking, commuting and trail centers. I wish I could have one bike for each discipline but unfortunately its not possible so I need an all round compromise.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I do pretty much all my riding (bike packing, long day rides, short local blasts and trail centres) on either a Carnegie or a Jones H-bar. They're both so comfy the type of riding doesn't matter so much.
composite

Post by composite »

When I started getting wrist pain I tried a Mary bar first. The pain went but I found them just a little too much back sweep (40 degrees I think) and I wanted them wider as they are only 680mm (I think).

Moved on to try the Salsa bend 2 (710mm) in 23degree flavour and really liked them. On my latest build I have tried the 17 degree version but the jury is out still on which I prefer.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Which Salsa bar has the 17* bend?
Ian

Post by Ian »

The Salsa Bend 2 comes in 17 and 23 degree versions.
composite

Post by composite »

There are 2 versions of the Salsa Bend 2.
http://salsacycles.com/components/categ ... bend_2_bar
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you tried spinning your bars? I'm sometimes surprised how many bars you see set with the tips pointing up, rather than back ... it's possible a little turn in the stem might gain you some backsweep.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

Are fleegles any worse for technical handling?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are fleegles any worse for technical handling?
I rode with Fleegles for a couple of years and they were great. Never had any issue with them although I would have liked a few more degrees of backsweep ... just bear in mind that they're a bendy flat bar not a riser.
karlytown

Post by karlytown »

What about a Renthal fat bar Lite ? Also I found myelf getting pain from the original Whyte lock on's that came with my bike. I shopped around and eventually settled for some ODI, Troy Lee Designs Lock On's..

Theses are Superb. Padded enough for long rides and thoughtfully cut grooved to maintain grip in muddy conditions. Not cheap mind, but definatly do what they say on the tin.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I quite often ride with my palms resting on the ends of the bars (as though I've got invisible bar-ends), so find lock-on grips a bit uncomfortable. At the moment ESI Racers Edge are working for me ... I might try some Chunky ones soon too.
Big Fat Biker

Post by Big Fat Biker »

s8tannorm wrote:Have you tried spinning your bars? I'm sometimes surprised how many bars you see set with the tips pointing up, rather than back ... it's possible a little turn in the stem might gain you some backsweep.
Yeah I've tried pretty much all angles and nothing has really improved the situation. I was originally using odi lock on grips and I thought that was the problem. I changed to the ergon gp2 grips and it became clear something else was causing the problem. The ergon grips improved things slightly but the discomfort still remains

I did consider going down the carbon route for a bit more flex but I've never had anything in carbon and im scared that they'll snap or split mid ride
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did consider going down the carbon route for a bit more flex but I've never had anything in carbon and im scared that they'll snap or split mid ride
Maybe try a standard diameter (non carbon) bar rather than OS ... I find they do offer a little flex.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm not convinced introducing a bit of flex from a bar will sort a hand fatigue problem.

Are you on rigid forks or suspension? Fatish tyres?
What sort of terrain?
Does the pain occur on super rock fests or on mild stuff too?

How's your saddle position? Flat? Tipped forward? Too high? What's the bar height in relation to the saddle? Stem slammed?
All could be transferring weight onto your hands

760 is pretty wide, are you over reaching? Could make you adopt a funny hand position, I think that sorting your position properly is needed first, then fancy grips

Edit,
Just noticed you're on sus. Position points stands if you've got pain though.
Big Fat Biker

Post by Big Fat Biker »

FLV wrote:I'm not convinced introducing a bit of flex from a bar will sort a hand fatigue problem.

Are you on rigid forks or suspension? Fatish tyres?
What sort of terrain?
Does the pain occur on super rock fests or on mild stuff too?

How's your saddle position? Flat? Tipped forward? Too high? What's the bar height in relation to the saddle? Stem slammed?
All could be transferring weight onto your hands

760 is pretty wide, are you over reaching? Could make you adopt a funny hand position, I think that sorting your position properly is needed first, then fancy grips

Edit,
Just noticed you're on sus. Position points stands if you've got pain though.
Everything else is comfortable for 8+ hours in the saddle covering all different conditions. I've only had pain in my paws since I changed bars. The original bars were some weird angled bontrager bars which never felt comfortable although never caused any pain/discomfort.

Im pretty sure its the bars that are causing the problem as its only a been since I've had the funn bars on.
Big Fat Biker

Post by Big Fat Biker »

Update:

I've swapped my current bars for an old set of truvativ bars I had lying around the shed and it seems to have made a huge difference. The truvativ bars have a 50mm rise where the funn bars were 10mm.

I didn't realise the rise hight would have made so much of a difference. I just wish they were 100mm wider and my problem would be sorted
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

How narrow could you get away with? Do you really need 760mm width?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've swapped my current bars for an old set of truvativ bars I had lying around the shed and it seems to have made a huge difference. The truvativ bars have a 50mm rise where the funn bars were 10mm.

I didn't realise the rise hight would have made so much of a difference. I just wish they were 100mm wider and my problem would be sorted
There's a good chance that the extra height combined with the reduced width have shifted your weight off your hands ... going wider on the bars but keeping the increased height might start to induce the problem again.
How narrow could you get away with? Do you really need 760mm width?
I thought this too.