Exped Synmat blown baffle

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Exped Synmat blown baffle

Post by barney »

Sadly/stupidly (delete as applicable) I've blown a baffle on my EXPED Synmat UL

Typically it's just over 5 years old so can't be replaced/repaired under warranty.

Does anyone know if it's possible to repair? Don't really have the funds to replace it so I'm hoping it's not fubbered.

Cheers

Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Exped Synmat blown baffle

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never heard of anyone repairing them but that doesn't mean someone hasn't. I'd be tempted to have a word with Lyon who distribute Exped and see if they might help ... maybe a reduction on the cost of a new mat?
May the bridges you burn light your way
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I don’t think you can repair a welded baffle
barney

Post by barney »

yeah, that was my worry.

hey, ho... will head over to the classifieds and hunt for a second mat that has a bit of insultation.

cheers
Wait for me...
barney

Post by barney »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:29 am I've never heard of anyone repairing them but that doesn't mean someone hasn't. I'd be tempted to have a word with Lyon who distribute Exped and see if they might help ... maybe a reduction on the cost of a new mat?
Took your advice Stu (not for the first time) they confirmed you can't repair a blown baffle and when I asked gave me 30% discount on a new one.

Nay too shabby! :-bd
Wait for me...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I know it's been said before, but try to avoid over-inflating them. I have a pillow with the same problem but it was caused by me suddenly sitting down on it when over-full. As a pillow it actually still functions so it's never bothered me too much.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Can’t you just sew it along the baffle line, fill it with Stans fluid, inflate and shake it about until it seals? :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Hamish wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 pm Can’t you just sew it along the baffle line, fill it with Stans fluid, inflate and shake it about until it seals? :lol:
I was thinking the same, except seam sealer on the stitching (Stan's is genius though :lol: ). Genuine suggestion. You'll trap a few bits of down and it'll look a bit weird, but you're supposed to sleep on it, not look at it :wink:

If it's otherwise getting chucked, I'd happily have a go.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

That sounds worth a try. Might it also be worth adding some Tenacious tape over the stitching? I believe it’s used to repair packrafts.