Softshells, I'm lost.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gpl23

Softshells, I'm lost.

Post by Gpl23 »

Looking for a softshell for 3 seasons. I know what they do but have no idea what one to get. Looking for a happy medium, a little bit of breathability , insulation and rain resistance. I'm totally snowed under with all the choices. Any pointers would be appreciated. So far Rab Torque and Outdoor Research Ferossi have caught my eye.
Al

Re: Softshells, I'm lost.

Post by Al »

I’ve been a big fan of rab vapourise years - I’ve got 3 different variations but get the most use out of the the thinner ‘alpine’ one.

The stretchy rab borealis pull on works really well for biking and doesn’t add any insulation.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Galibier Mistral...? Quite a bit cheaperer than a Rab...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Polaris AM
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Also use Rab Vapour rise for most of the year - great for not geting too hot and sweaty, not windproof but pretty good all the same.
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

I switch between a Rab Vital, excellent light wind shirt, and the slightly heavier/thicker Borealis depending conditions. Both breathable and showerproof and neither were expensive.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Quite like my Rab Borealis (used for walking at mo, not riding). However, it has no insulation, if that's important to you. It's a mis-used term and seems to cover everything from the most insubstantial windshirts to full on winter insulation layers.

Sportpursuit used to have loads from various esoteric brands but consequently cheap so easy-ish to find the right thing with a bit of experimentation.