Fork trouble

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Fork trouble

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I recently bought a new SID Sl fork at a decent discount. Worked fine for a few rides and started knocking at the top of the rebound and rattles a little at the top of the stroke. (Feels a bit like the headset is loose, checked and it’s definitely coming from the fork)

Seller is saying they can take it back for a refund as they don’t have any more in stock and no facilities to repair. Trouble is I can’t find anything remotely similar for less than £300 more. Is it worth getting my LBS to take a look at it or sending it to a company to service? I don’t suppose I have a shot with the warranty with Rockshox do I? Any advice welcome. Seems a shame to return it for them to scrap.
Charliecres

Re: Fork trouble

Post by Charliecres »

Theoretically the seller should sort that out for you but if the can’t be arsed and just offer a refund then you’ll almost certainly get them fixed for less than £300. I’d give TF Tuned a bell and see what they say.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Anything can be fixed but it really depends what the issue is
It might be a simple fix but it might be the Air assembly has broken off and scored the inside as it rattles around inside,
Personally I would have a quick look inside and then decide whether to return them or not.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:29 pm Anything can be fixed but it really depends what the issue is
It might be a simple fix but it might be the Air assembly has broken off and scored the inside as it rattles around inside,
Personally I would have a quick look inside and then decide whether to return them or not.
Thanks, is it just a case of taking to lowers off and looking in with a torch?

I've read a few comments elsewhere that have raised issues with the SIDs not being put together too well and saying they were missing the top out bumper adn not enough oil in, (kind of) hoping this is the issue as it seems like an easy fix.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:48 pm I recently bought a new SID Sl fork at a decent discount. Worked fine for a few rides and started knocking at the top of the rebound and rattles a little at the top of the stroke. (Feels a bit like the headset is loose, checked and it’s definitely coming from the fork)

Seller is saying they can take it back for a refund as they don’t have any more in stock and no facilities to repair. Trouble is I can’t find anything remotely similar for less than £300 more. Is it worth getting my LBS to take a look at it or sending it to a company to service? I don’t suppose I have a shot with the warranty with Rockshox do I? Any advice welcome. Seems a shame to return it for them to scrap.
The seller should be going through the warranty process with SRAM on your behalf :

https://www.sram.com/en/service/warranty
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

as a general point its undo the bolts[tap] on each leg and pull them off to see what is inside [ almost certainly invlidates your warranty]
You also need to know what you are looking at and for - should be obvious if somethign is loe but I m no susoension guru.
The rattle etc may be a know thing so an expert TFT tuned/ Mojo etc may know what it is likely to be

the seller should go through SRAM but if its grey or OEM that may not be that easy to do
Yers ago merlin had to remove serial number on mechs[9 sped X0 so a while ago] to stop SRAM tracing them for example so they just did exchanges/refunds.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

rudedog wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:46 pm The seller should be going through the warranty process with SRAM on your behalf :

https://www.sram.com/en/service/warranty
Lazarus wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:49 pm the seller should go through SRAM but if its grey or OEM that may not be that easy to do
I thought the same thing, they tried to fob me off, but I'll have another go with them and get them to do that.

Cheers both!