Faulty Voile straps, anyone else?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

directdrive

Faulty Voile straps, anyone else?

Post by directdrive »

Bought some green XL Voile Straps from Bikemonger. Took them out on a 2-weeker in Scotland and one broke almost immediately - the 'tail' or pull tab came off. On closer inspection I noticed damage to the other strap too - a small crack or nick below the lower-most rib on the tail. See pic.

Returned to Bikemonger who were great and sent out a replacement almost immediately. Unfortunately to my dismay the two like-for-like replacements display a manufacturing flaw - i.e. a small crack - in exactly the same place. Haven't had them out of the packet but they're quite visible.

Anybody else had this? Obviously for something that gets yanked hard this isn't great. I'm assuming a bad QC batch or something rather than user error on my part.

slarge

Re: Faulty Voile straps, anyone else?

Post by slarge »

I haven’t any experience of Voile straps, but the bit you’re showing as broken off (above your thumb in the pic) looks like it doesn’t do anything. Are you sure it’s a pull tab and not just a bit of the mould that is there to expel air?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The cracked bit is below the thumb, in one of the indentations. The last one before the first buckle hole. Looks like a manufacturing fault.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ah yes - that’s a fault. A bit of a strange place for one, but a fault nonetheless
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve got a couple of these, (one from Bikemonger and one possibly from somewhere else). Only used them once so far, without a problem, but I didn’t tug them up especially hard. I’m away at the moment but I’ll check when I get home.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Just got an email back from Bikemonger who said they've got some newer stock with a different grip moulding, so it sounds like it might be an issue with an older batch. They will raise it with Voile. Can't fault the service from Bikemonger but was surprised at the issue with these straps as they've got such a huge reputation. Guessing it's an isolated problem.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My "Voile" straps are actually made by Fix-Plus and don't have those grip parts
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

They sent me some new ones which have different grips. Seems like the older moulds were the problem.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps only an issue on the XL version? I've sold hundreds of standard sized straps and never had one returned.
May the bridges you burn light your way
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:27 am Perhaps only an issue on the XL version? I've sold hundreds of standard sized straps and never had one returned.
Could be, I've also got standard ones with the same grip mould, no problems with them.