Going straight

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Going straight

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jenny Graham has just been on another madcap adventure - walking the longest straight line between two public roads in the UK.

That's a hoor of an amount of climbing!!

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/newsro ... ing-a-road
Verena

Re: Going straight

Post by Verena »

Just seen that this morning on the news - crazy tough!
arkay

Post by arkay »

Inspired by Geowizard’s YouTube videos? He did a straight line across the whole of Scotland… no Cairngorms but he did have to sneak through a plywood factory and across a high-speed rail line, which I don’t think impressed McPlod.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I don't get it :???:

I know lots of the things "we" do are "pointless" and happily embrace it but this just seems a bit ...... er .... mleh.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

arkay wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:22 am Inspired by Geowizard’s YouTube videos?
Seems to have been inspired by a blog post on the Ordnance Survey website:
arkay

Post by arkay »

NewRetroTom wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:51 am
arkay wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:22 am Inspired by Geowizard’s YouTube videos?
Seems to have been inspired by a blog post on the Ordnance Survey website:
"So for Great Britain, the longest straight line that you can walk without having to stop, look and listen is 71.5km or 44.43 miles (71500.817767m)"

Nice of them to quote it to the nearest micrometre - I had no idea the OS were that accurate!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And they were also wrong. Jenny and Calum had to walk an extra few km before hitting a tarmac road.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:29 pm And they were also wrong. Jenny and Calum had to walk an extra few km before hitting a tarmac road.
Theory and practice.
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

arkay wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:22 am Inspired by Geowizard’s YouTube videos? He did a straight line across the whole of Scotland… no Cairngorms but he did have to sneak through a plywood factory and across a high-speed rail line, which I don’t think impressed McPlod.
the geowizard videos are great - Wales and Norway particularly good, but the Scotland attempt felt like a massive and possibly deliberate balls-up. Going to Scotland smack in the middle of the lockdown when cross border travel was verboten, having a huge campfire on a farmer's land after having been spotted at least twice by the landowners up there.

would have all been fine if they hadn't lit the place up like 1666, and could have easily moved round the corner out of the way as well once they'd been spotted. they practically invited the police to boot them off the land and were fortunate not to get fined. wild camping in scotland isn't difficult as we all know, and it felt like really thick behaviour to me considering all the effort (caching supplies etc) and micro-planning that apparently went into the route. made wild campers look like idiots, which was particularly unwelcome ahead of another summer of friction between campers and locals in places like Scotland.

Still - the Wales one where he doesn't know what he's doing yet is a proper laugh, excellent content!
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

arkay wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:21 am Nice of them to quote it to the nearest micrometre - I had no idea the OS were that accurate!
{pedant mode} accurate vs precise.

They were very precise, but wildly inaccurate - as ScotRoutes says they were a few km out based on the definition of a paved road being one with tarmac on it.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I tried this through the local park as the running was too hard. 0.7 miles and I failed... Hard going :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:45 pm I tried this through the local park as the running was too hard. 0.7 miles and I failed... Hard going :smile:
Ha could be the basis of a new challenge. Cycling in a dead straight line between two points :grin:
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

To quote Calum (Jenny`s co walker)
" I`m happy I`ve done it but wouldn`t do it again"
Sound like fun of the type 2 variety! ... and most of the stupid things that I have thought were a good idea! :roll:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

htrider wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:38 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:45 pm I tried this through the local park as the running was too hard. 0.7 miles and I failed... Hard going :smile:
Ha could be the basis of a new challenge. Cycling in a dead straight line between two points :grin:
Phil... i already started it. Was gonna make the thread here but wasn't sure. I called it the DSAM (dead straight a month) challenge :grin:
marcinski

Post by marcinski »

I know of one such attempt:

http://korzonek.info/ppr2016/relacja/

I think he deviated a little, one km away from dead straight line, but still, quite an achievement.
Marcin
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

marcinski wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:55 pm
I know of one such attempt:

http://korzonek.info/ppr2016/relacja/

I think he deviated a little, one km away from dead straight line, but still, quite an achievement.
Marcin
Excellent! Particularly the bit where he's in the cheapo dingy towing the bike on a rubber ring! (he could have used his spare tube though :grin: )